'LGT' Construction Diary

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
ShinOBIWAN said:

That's just the thing, I don't. :smash:

I've found that low Q speakers care much less about corners and back walls. When I was renovating the house I moved my beloved VAFs into the bedroom (which is much smaller so they had to be placed into corner and aginst the wall). The result was predictably awful - boomy, bloated bass and elevated midbass.
When I did the same with ATC 100's, they shrugged off most of these problems. Yes, bass is somewhet elevated, but still tuneful and, well, nice ). VAFs are targeted Q=0.7, but ATCs are typically very low Q (0.5 or even lower) so even if both speaker are on paper similar (reflex) designs, they have vastly different dependancy on room positioning.
Bottom line, I'm a convert and a believer in low Q (championed by Bill Woodman all along). And if your towers are low Q as well, they won't mind being sqeezed so much. If they are not, well, you know now what to do ;)

Bratislav

diyAudio Member
Joined 2004
Originally posted by sqlkev if I ever decide to take a trip to the UK, would you mind being the host for a brief audition to those magnificent looking speakers?

Sure no problem Kev, if your around these parts in the future then let us know.

I'd take a nice long break from building too if I were you ;),

I know, I know. Its really tough to do though, even in the midst of this ongoing project I find myself working through ideas for a matching center channel.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

I think death is likely to be the only cure for most of us :bigeyes:

diyAudio Member
Joined 2004
m0tion said:
Tweeter not high enough?

I presume your talking about the center rather than the mains? If so then yes it is rather low. A dome might work better here or maybe the smaller RAAL for improved vertical dispersion. I did envisage angling the larger RAAL, seen in that picture, upwards slightly by 4 degrees to get it on axis at 3m distance which would be the point at which the mains also become physically time aligned.

One concern was matching tonality between mains and center, hence my choice of identical drivers and very much similar crossover points.

diyAudio Member
Joined 2004
I just spotted a guy on ebay selling XLS10's for £59 a pop. On the off chance I emailed to ask about multiple quantities and it appears he has some connection with BK and get these drivers all day long.

Here's the link

I just bought four of 'em to repopulate the sub I box I never quite finished:

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

:)

diyAudio Member
Joined 2004
The guy is also selling the 12" driver thats used in the BK Monolith subwoofers:

4006_1.JPG

http://www.bkelec.com/HiFi/Sub_Woofers/monolith-df.htm

These are only £59 a piece and since I've owned the Monolith sub I know that one of these can pound the s*** out of your room. I snapped up the last couple he listed but keep an eye on what he's selling as he re-lists after a shortwhile.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI....MEWN:IT&viewitem=&item=120125125825&rd=1&rd=1

diyAudio Member
Joined 2004
Re: Monolith

Grumpy_Git said:
Does anyone have any idea on manufacturer and specs for the Monolith Drive units, they look pretty damn sweet.

cheers.

Nick.

Here's the specs I was given:

Sensitivity 88dB
Weight 12.6kg
Nominal Power Handling 300W
Impedance 4 Ohms
Qes 0.416
Qms 2.73
Qts 0.361
Vas 61.6 L
Fs 23.5Hz
Re 3.7 Ohms
Le 1.30mH(@1Khz)
Cms 0.35 mm/N
Sd 468.7 Cu Cms
Mms 232g
Bl 17.46 T-M
Xmax 30mm

The manufacturer is Eminence and they are branded 'Audiodrive'.

ps: Not to be rude Shin but that centre is no way as pretty as the LGT mains, it looks to "fat" in height.

Its tough to incorporate the long RAAL and keep the cabinet less tall without resorting to using nasty horizontal driver arrangements.

I have a few designs I drew up including a short floorstander. First priority after these are finished will be that XLS sub though.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.