LClock XO PSU

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Regulated Powersupply for Clock

Elso Kwak said:

Interesting post. The guy at the Sympatica site who did Spice simulations and analysed the circuit came to whole different conclusions.
Referring to noise at or near clockfrequencies we differ in opinion.
Can't do much about the Q with available crystals.
:cool:

Well, that is his conclusion, I have my own

You can do a lot with the Q of crystals: You can spoil them, increasing cycle to cycle jitter, or eventually drive them with negative impedance and increase the whole.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Regulated Powersupply for Clock

Guido Tent said:

I never listened to that one

The indicated 10nV/SqrrtHz at least is way better that what comes out of most other regs, which is what I confirmed

By the way, if I calculate the noise from the datasheet, I come to 63 nV - way off from what Fred achieved

regards
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Whatever people say, I use a sufficiently large decoupling cap to achieve the lowest noise I can reach. Certainly not a 1 or 10 uF cap!!

Re: Preregulate

Elso Kwak said:
Spot off!
I found that pre-regulation makes soundquality worse.
So I don't use it anymore. This does not apply to PI-filters.
:bigeyes:

You can't generalize, Elso.
My Audio Alchemy DDE v3.0 has internally one reg for each voltage pin at each chip.
There are some 20 regs inside, I didn't count them.
Most of them are 78Lxx/79Lxx regs.:dead:
When new, these things came with an unregulated PSU.
Long time ago I made a reg. PSU for it, and you can't imagine the improvement. This is, in fact, pre-regulation.
AA asked big money for a regulated PSU for this dac, as an optional item.

Now... this same regulated PSU gives poor results with my (diy) phono preamp, wich has LM317/337s inside.
With this phonopre, I made a simple, small, cheap, unregulated PSU, and yes, it gives much better results than the other one.

Can you get a conclusion for this?
In my oppinion, it can be that the LM317/337 doesn't like to be pre-regulated, while the 78xx/79xx do benefit from it.

So... each application is different, and each reg. is different and may behave differently.
You should not generalize when giving an advice and shouldn't take your own conclusions with a single test/application.:angel:

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Regulated Powersupply for Clock

Guido Tent said:

What Wenzel puts in front is his choice

What Cuno made at home using my clock is Cuno's choice
So I take it you no longer support Cuno's circuit. It was in one of your PDF files on the net. (The why and how of low jitter oscillators Guido Tent, November 2000
This article has been written to demystify some aspect of jitter in digital audio etc.)
Your comment about Cuno's circuit amazes me. But I presume you now are in favor of the RC filter feeding the emitter follower as on your site.
:bawling: :confused:

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Regulated Powersupply for Clock

Guido Tent said:
What Cuno made at home using my clock is Cuno's choice

Guido, with your XO clock, you send your customers a Word document (you sent me that doc too) with this on it:

"Cuno Snoeren has designed a good example of such a supply, where all recommendations have found their place. It is shown below."

And...

"To supply this regulator a separate transformer may be used, to obtain maximum performance."

The suggested PSU for your XO clock, present on this doc, is a TL431+BC550.

What gives?:confused:

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Regulated Powersupply for Clock

Guido Tent said:

Well, that is his conclusion, I have my own

You can do a lot with the Q of crystals: You can spoil them, increasing cycle to cycle jitter, or eventually drive them with negative impedance and increase the whole.
Guido,
It was not my intention to spoil the Q and hence increase jitter.....Why should I want to do that?
:confused:

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Regulated Powersupply for Clock

Elso Kwak said:

So I take it you no longer support Cuno's circuit. It was in one of your PDF files on the net. (The why and how of low jitter oscillators Guido Tent, November 2000
This article has been written to demystify some aspect of jitter in digital audio etc.)
Your comment about Cuno's circuit amazes me. But I presume you now are in favor of the RC filter feeding the emitter follower as on your site.
:bawling: :confused:

You run too fast

Cuno's circuit is a nice circuit that can be build by many people, it is DIY.

Another issue is what circuit is best in my opinion, and what is best for DIY versus commercial use.

I went over to the RC filtered emitter follower style as it is still easy and offers lower noise compared to Cuno's circuit.

I assume you drive a newer car than the one you liked 20 years ago, no ?

regards

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Regulated Powersupply for Clock

Elso Kwak said:

Guido,
It was not my intention to spoil the Q and hence increase jitter.....Why should I want to do that?

you wrote

" Referring to noise at or near clockfrequencies we differ in opinion. Can't do much about the Q with available crystals "

And my answer was that you CAN. If you intend, that is another issue.

regards

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Regulated Powersupply for Clock

Guido Tent said:

You run too fast

Cuno's circuit is a nice circuit that can be build by many people, it is DIY.

Another issue is what circuit is best in my opinion, and what is best for DIY versus commercial use.

I went over to the RC filtered emitter follower style as it is still easy and offers lower noise compared to Cuno's circuit.

I assume you drive a newer car than the one you liked 20 years ago, no ?

regards
Hi Guido,
So now all of the sudden Cuno's circuit is nice. And before you were grumping about the 431-based rubbish.......Well, well......

Disabled Account
Joined 2002
:cop: This thread is going the wrong direction if some of you continue to check every possible detail in what your opponent says/said to proove you're right in some way. This is irritating and does not add anything to the discussion ( nor is it interesting to read for other members ).

Consider this an official warning. Please keep to the subject :cop:

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Regulated Powersupply for Clock

Elso Kwak said:

Hi Guido,
So now all of the sudden Cuno's circuit is nice. And before you were grumping about the 431-based rubbish.......Well, well......

By the time it was a nice circuit. I and others learned in the last 4 years. 431 based circuits can be improved by the way, but will never achieve the low noise level that I like to have for best performance.

You see to ignore that it is offered as a good starting point for the true DIY clock builder - what is wrong with that ?

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Regulated Powersupply for Clock

Guido Tent said:
You see to ignore that it is offered as a good starting point for the true DIY clock builder - what is wrong with that ?

Nothing wrong.
Thanks for your offering.
Around a year ago I bought two XOs from you at 27€ each and I appreciate you offer this for diyers.
This price is unbeatable.:eek:
Thanks for selling this product!:cool:
It's unique. :angel:

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Regulated Powersupply for Clock

carlosfm said:

Nothing wrong.
Thanks for your offering.
Around a year ago I bought two XOs from you at 27€ each and I appreciate you offer this for diyers.
This price is unbeatable.:eek:
Thanks for selling this product!:cool:
It's unique. :angel:

Hi Carlos,

Thanks for your mail. Please do not take it personal. There are thousands of happy customers with an unbeatable price to quality solution, even including 431's in the supply.

enjoy

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Regulated Powersupply for Clock

Guido Tent said:
Please do not take it personal.

Why would I?

Guido Tent said:
There are thousands of happy customers with an unbeatable price to quality solution, even including 431's in the supply.

Like me.:D

Guido Tent said:

I do.;)

Hello Everybody

I use an XO clock from TentLabs in my VRDS10SE with the Cuno's schematic PSU.
The sound was so worse that get it of and rebuit as origin.

Now the sound is correct.... like before !

Attachments

• xotent2.jpg
    xotent2.jpg
    86.6 KB · Views: 384
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.