LClock XO PSU

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
The ripple rejection is one item, but there will always remain output noise, even when you fee the input with zero moise

I agree that your regulator is among the best regarding noise performance, but it would be nice to find a cheap and simple low noise IC regulator :D

I've found a 20nV/SqrrtHz regulator, the ARX5001 from Aeroflex but I can't find a source online....

http://pdf.searchdatasheets.com/pdf/149/149.pdf

Some other low noise regulators claimed to be for digital AUDIO use ...

http://www.calmicro.com/products/data/pdf/cmpwr161.pdf

http://focus.ti.com/lit/ds/symlink/tps79530.pdf

Pls share with us if anyone have experience with them.

jackinnj said:

i don't know if measuring noise below 120 dB is possible in my environment -- the Jim Williams apnote on characterization of LDO regulators shows the DUT in a cookie tin powered by batteries -- I will have to fill up on Danish butter cookies!

I am in the process of rebuilding my HP 465A preamp -- it is 20dB and 40dB acurate from 10Hz to 1 MHz, but the distortion is 0.01 to 0.03% --

Hi

For measuring audio band noise no tins are required, to my experience.

What is the noise contribution of your pre ? I use an AD797

cheers

carlosfm said:
Guido, what would you recommend as a low noise reg?

Hi

I'd take a zener or a ref diode, and RC filter it to death, and put it in an emitter follower.

Otherwise a decently designed discrete shunt, but that requires knowledge, the emotter follower does not......

Stay away from integrated regs. Even if they are reasonable, they spit out noise current in the reference leg......

cheers

jackinnj said:

Guido

the HP 465A is putting out about 100 uV of noise in th e 0.1 to 10 Hz band -- but it has some serious power supply issues. the 5A22N itself is pretty tame which is surprising for a plug-in which dates from when I was in college.

which spec analyzer are you using btw?

Hi

Yes, LF noise is problematic (it is 1/f noise of the first transistor, most likely)

I use HP3580A or Audio Precision one

cheers

I have a Tek Scope with FFT built in -- but it is mostly used for power supply testing, for audio I have a HP 3581 -- like the 3580 (140dB) but a meter readout instead of CRT -- it can be attached to a plotter -- I am afraid that the bargains which stemmed from the US Tech bubble are disappearing.

It is agonizing whether to repair the HP465A or gut it. I think it's going to be the latter as the device also has an offset problem --

jackinnj said:
I have a Tek Scope with FFT built in -- but it is mostly used for power supply testing, for audio I have a HP 3581 -- like the 3580 (140dB) but a meter readout instead of CRT -- it can be attached to a plotter -- I am afraid that the bargains which stemmed from the US Tech bubble are disappearing.

It is agonizing whether to repair the HP465A or gut it. I think it's going to be the latter as the device also has an offset problem --

Hi

I paid 500 euro for my 3580 which indeed is a bargain.....

Yes, do away with the old pre, take an AD797 instead, brings 60dB with 50kHz BW and 1 nV/Sqrrt Hz noise.

cheers

Regulated Powersupply for Clock

Guido Tent said:

Hi
I'd take a zener or a ref diode, and RC filter it to death, and put it in an emitter follower.
Otherwise a decently designed discrete shunt, but that requires knowledge, the emotter follower does not......
Stay away from integrated regs. Even if they are reasonable, they spit out noise current in the reference leg......
cheers
What emotter follower?, In this opst in repply to Fred Mak yu vantilated a whale diffarent opinioon:
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?postid=335968#post335968

:bigeyes::clown:

time for a Super-Regulator -- the 3rd article in Audio Amateur (the one written by Gary Galo) suggested changing the reference from the LM329DZ to a low noise 2.5V, and a couple other component changes .

btw, in this series of articles they suggested regulating everything in the DAC.-- coming up with the opinion that even Phillips didn't realize how good their chip set was.

ELSO -- hitting the schnapps again or was there a problem with the keyboard ? ;) -- Carlos just ask Elso to email his clock circuit -- you can see the discrete reg he uses.

jackinnj said:
time for a Super-Regulator -- the 3rd article in Audio Amateur (the one written by Gary Galo) suggested changing the reference from the LM329DZ to a low noise 2.5V, and a couple other component changes .

btw, in this series of articles they suggested regulating everything in the DAC.-- coming up with the opinion that even Phillips didn't realize how good their chip set was.

ELSO -- hitting the schnapps again or was there a problem with the keyboard ? ;) -- Carlos just ask Elso to email his clock circuit -- you can see the discrete reg he uses.

Hi Jack, me a problem with the keyboard? :clown: I was thinking Guido T. had.
Now for the serious stuff:
I tried all kinds of Super-regulators with pass-transistor and without. I did not like the result in a clock circuit.
I also tried NiCd batteries, LT1086-5, pre-regulators, 5V supply of the player, separate powersupplies (transformer plus bridge rectifier), a whole bunch of SOT-23 and SOIC regulators. LM329 and TL431's with emitter follower, and God knows what else.
I will not disclose the winner but the circuit in KC-7 is second to best.
KC-7 circuit: You can download it here:
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?postid=199928#post199928
:cool:

Re: Re: Regulated Powersupply for Clock

Guido Tent said:

I wrote in that thread

" LEDS are too noisy, the emitter follower will just transfer the noise "

which is not in conflict with my proposal for an emitter follower

cheers

Guido,
And I replied: this is utterly nonsense. LED's are NOT noisy.
And I was referring to your enthusiastic reaction to Fred Mak's experiments with SOT-23 regulators.
"Keep posting Mr. Mak"
You can keep playing innocent as you don't want not to discuss the Wenzel circuit or other circuits but I don't buy it.
:whazzat:

Re: Re: Re: Regulated Powersupply for Clock

Elso Kwak said:

Guido,
And I replied: this is utterly nonsense. LED's are NOT noisy.
And I was referring to your enthusiastic reaction to Fred Mak's experiments with SOT-23 regulators.
You can keep playing innocent as you don't want not to discuss the Wenzel circuit or other circuits but I don't buy it.
:whazzat:

dear Elso,

Since you are so convinced, could you indicate the measured noise ?

There is nothing against the Wenzel circuit, except that it needs adjustment.

(It is by the way not his invention - I found examples in older spectrum analyesers using similar techniques, and I even found valve amp supplies using this trick)

Again, I believe that a properly RC filtered voltage put in an emitter follower can be dead silent.

This is a copy of the post you point at:

quote:
Originally posted by fmak

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
No need. I measured to 1 MHz bandwidth and it is as specified.

It's one thing measuring PS noise using a resistor; it's another measuring it with the PS connected to the XO and injecting the clock signal. I try to silence the PS using the latter.

The Audiocom Supetregulator collapses under XO load and spews out hf noise spectra like someone is going sick!!

It's useful to do a spectral analysis of both PS and clock signals.
Some XOs have odd harmonics just 10dB down from the fundamental in a more or less monotonic manner.

Hi

nothing to add...............

keep posting Mr mak !

Ciao

So not a single reference to SOT 23 regs at all, or do I miss your point ?

best regards
-

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.