LClock XO PSU

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Like i said a few post ago, the replacement of clock in my CD player in not realy fundamental. The replacement of the OP in the analogic section is a true optimisation (OPA627 for I/V and OPA2604 to drive line)
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Replacing the clock in my VRDS 20 make a world of difference - much better using LCClock2.

Repalcing the I/V opamp with 627 doesn't seem to me optimal; the 627 is a slow device and doen't particularly drive capacitance well. I would use a much faster opamp such as the AD825 or LM6171 suitably decoupled (very imortant for 6171)

:bigeyes: :bigeyes: :bigeyes:

fmak said:
Like i said a few post ago, the replacement of clock in my CD player in not realy fundamental. The replacement of the OP in the analogic section is a true optimisation (OPA627 for I/V and OPA2604 to drive line)
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Replacing the clock in my VRDS 20 make a world of difference - much better using LCClock2.

Repalcing the I/V opamp with 627 doesn't seem to me optimal; the 627 is a slow device and doen't particularly drive capacitance well. I would use a much faster opamp such as the AD825 or LM6171 suitably decoupled (very imortant for 6171)

:bigeyes: :bigeyes: :bigeyes:

or AD811 as I/V converter

cheers

We used AD811 for I/V a lot about 10 years ago, (ZAPdac3) it is very resolute, but also has a very cold sound. At that time it was popular to have focus on micro details and ultra high resolution. The AD811 can deliver if this is what you are going after.
Today it is generally more popular to have focus on musicality, flow, liquidity etc. But still maintaining good resolution.
For this OPA627, (or Analog Device's equivalent AD8065) is better.
Has a warmer sound. And when you use a quality part like that you only need the one stage, no line driver, GIC filter etc.
So to keep the signal path as short as possible go directly from the I/V to the output plug. 1st order filtering (which is enough for a modern DAC) is done easily in the I/V stage by connecting a small cap between the output and the minus input.

All the best from

Lars Clausen

Well, well

I just want to tell to everybody that i listen music with my ears and not with an oscilloscope. So, the remark about : it seem, i heard about, someone tell me....
or the drive capacitance "ou l'age du capitaine" are inconsequential (for me).
If you are agree with your sound, happy you are !
My repport about the change of my clock was only for make a response on this topic. I try the Cuno's PSU with a TentLabs XO, and MY result is not good for me.

And i know that i don't detain the truth....

Cordialement à tous.

opa said:
Well, well

I just want to tell to everybody that i listen music with my ears and not with an oscilloscope. So, the remark about : it seem, i heard about, someone tell me....
or the drive capacitance "ou l'age du capitaine" are inconsequential (for me).
If you are agree with your sound, happy you are !
My repport about the change of my clock was only for make a response on this topic. I try the Cuno's PSU with a TentLabs XO, and MY result is not good for me.

And i know that i don't detain the truth....

Cordialement à tous.

bonjour Opa,

I also listen with my ears, but I have fooled myself too much, so that is why I measure, once and a while.

Ofcourse, if you do not like the sound, you can change, however many people where surprised about your report.

best regards

Hi Lars.
On the old LClock XO I noticed a not small improvement just by changing pre-regulation from 7812 to LM317.
Can you explain why does LC-Audio sell an unregulated PSU for the clocks?
I can't find a reason...:confused:
Is it just to offer a low price for the PSU?
I think people wouldn't mind to pay an extra 2 or 3€ to have a regulated PSU, with better results.

Thanks

Hi Carlos

It is not about the price per se, as you mention the regulator really cost nothing. On the other hand we have a very good regulator on boad the LClock XO and others. Before this regulator we want to have a dynamic power supply without feedback loops (like exist in usual regulators) as these loops have f corners that may in some cases affect the oscillator further down the regulator chain.

If you register a difference when using a pre regulator i believe you.
There is another effect which is noises carried from the power supply unit down in the GND of the CD / DVD player. This may in some machines induce noises back on the GND wire, as it sits in between two noise sources. In this case your regulator may reduce one of the noises in question.

Lars

Sorry I should have been more clear - the problem with Guido's regulator is that the 22K and 56K resistor chain does not allow sufficient base current into the BC547 to give an accurate 5V or good load reg. That is why I wondered if Guido had actually built it.

From a purely subjective approach I found the Jung type reg of a Trichord clock4 to give better sound than Guido's 7808/BC547 reg (with 2K2 and 5K6 bias resistors). In both cases I used a Tent XO module.
I would like to compare the Tent XO to a Trichord XO but don't have the correct frequencies in both.

FWIW, I have a Kwak clock as well, although I much prefer the Tent or Trichord ones.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.