• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

Lateral Mosfet Amplifers 250W - 2000W RMS Power Amplifier modules

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Are the class-d lateral mosfets designed to operate cooler than the 2SK1058 and 2SJ162? Currently an amplifier project for home theater is being built using the listed devices. Heatsink area is a concern for the number of amps to be incorporated into the case. Feedback would be appreciated.
John

If they have lower on resistance than the Hitachis (which is possible as 12A max current is suggested) then you will get a little bit more output power for the same rail voltages.

The power dissipation will not change much though as a class AB amplifier playing music spends most of its time at low output power. Idle current, rail voltage and load impedance is what matters.

The "data sheet" provided is very inconcistent though. How does 150 degree Tj max, 125W Pd max and 1.6 degree/watt Rthj-c add up?

Avnet has a good price on the Hitachis.

I tried AVnet & as somebody here cleverly said it should be called "Havenot".

My experience wasn't good with them - I think the consensus is that unless you are a large company they don't want to know.

I ordered 10 2SK1058s but because my delivery address was different to my billing address I got an email to confirm that I was not selling these on. Fair enough - I answered it. No reply for 8 days after a lot of emails to them to find out what the status on the order was.

They also added an extra $20 onto my order that I was not aware of at time of order & only spotted when I reread their only email to me. I finally cancelled my order & queried the $20. They quickly replied to my cancellation, thanking me (as if they were glad of it) & said that the $20 was for if shipping charges were more than anticipated!

Seems very unprofessional to me!

Edit: I agree with the opinion on ClassD though - I have asked them for a proper datasheet on their mosfets but got none. In another thread a user of these mosfets replied that they were good - more powerful than the 2SK1058 but not as sweet.

Update: I was contacted by Class-D & they are sending me over some Mosfets to "play with". Good response from them, I reckon.

Had a good chat with Mike from Class-D (he's the amplifier man there) & he struck me as a knowledgeable & friendly guy. They have some interesting products being launched between now & christmas but I won't steal their thunder. One thing he did say which I can tell is that they have removed the in-built zener from the mosfet to prevent oscillations.

Now I don't have much experience with laterals so I'll be comparing them sound-wise to some Fairchild FQA34N20 mosfets in a source follower Susan Parker Zeus amp. It will take a while though.

Mike Soppelsa

I hope you are still following this thread.
I have received your initial e-mail and wrote you twice regarding potential opportunities you may be interested.
However, I got no replies and assumed that my messages may be in your junk mail by mistake.

I look forward to receiving the samples for evaluation.

Best regards,

LS

Hey guys,
Sorry I haven't reported back but my amp building has ceased for the moment while my back recovers from a sciatic nerve problem I aggravated while carrying an oscilloscope.

Normally this would clear up in a number of days but not this time - it's been 2 weeks & stll have pins & needles down my leg & in my foot.

Powerful digital audio amplifier cheap (IC)

I would like to use IC (chip) in the pcb for digital audio amplifier which work
with net 220V/ = 90V-160 V (160 V preferable). Output power is 500W - and more.
We need IC digital power amplifier like Tripach TA 0104A (500W) but more powerful up to 1000W - 5000W.
We can use little pcb with same parameters.
So try offer audio digital amplifier IC up to 20 kHz with power supply around 90-160V and output power up to 5000W.
Pls. Senf PDF information for study.
Brgds, Ms. Olga, Ukraine
can you write me on address
<olzon@rambler.ru>

I've just taken the plunge and bought 2 of the NX400 modules offered by class-d

http://www.classd.ltd.uk/product.php?productid=16270&cat=257&page=1

£48 each, ouch!

I also ordered a nice big toroidal 800VA 55V-55V from Farnell and a couple of 33,000 uF 63V capacitors: Should be a good Power Supply combination, although I'll need to look for some good Rectifiers.

I've built my own amp before - 15 years ago using the Maplin 150W Mosfet kit! Powered by a 35V-35V toroidal and it's showing it's age now; I reckon there are dry joints everywhere especially as I smoke 20 a day! (Still souns awesome though!)

Star earthing, premium components, my new beast will cost in excess of £500 to build, I'll keep you updated!

Here's my last project:

amp1.jpg

amp2.jpg

Can't wait to get my teeth into the latest project :)

Still no Communication :( I've sent emails to:

louise@class-d.com
sales@class-d.com

as well as, initially, their web contact form on the day of Purchase (5th February) to cancel

So beware if you are thinking about buying anything from class-d.com because it looks like I have lost £96 (Oh, I recieved a couple of badly soldered amp modules a couple of days ago, see below)

amp_modules_low.jpg

High Resolution Image:

http://www.data-designs.net/gfx/amp_modules_high.jpg

What should I do? Start a Paypal Claim?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.