Large 3-ways design / build

Will MJL21193's crazy design work as proposed?

• Yes

Votes: 57 51.4%
  • No

Votes: 7 6.3%
  • Maybe.

Votes: 34 30.6%
  • I'll laugh when it doesn't.:devily:

Votes: 13 11.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Disabled Account
Joined 2007
The scary one is the strong resonance introduced at 500 Hz. Unlike the higher ones, this probably has a chance at being excited (what is the planned XO).

Did you do anything else inbetween other than the damping? Any differences in the way the removed woofer was reinstalled?

Neat how you do those blink things :)

Crossover will coincide with baffle step - I haven't calculated yet but I expect somewhere around 250-300Hz.

One thing is that output is lower again by a couple db so that 500Hz might be at the same level as in earlier plots.
No real difference in the way I put in the woofer - it is held in with 10-24 bolts into t-nuts and has no gasket yet. I did move the accelerometer slightly - I was losing adhesion due to a grease spot from the duct seal.

The hot melt glue works great but it removes some of the hardboard surface when I remove it. Not a big deal as these boxes will be veneered.

Disabled Account
Joined 2007
My dream damping mechanism involves external bracing.

You have me thinking...more for appearance than for actual bracing but what if I add ribs on the outside, laterally. It would take on the Battlestar Galactica look:

battlestar-glactica.jpg

Veneer underneath, black ribs.
:cool:

Disabled Account
Joined 2007
Also I would like to develop a way to mechanically isolate the driver frame from the enclosure. I'm convinced that much of what I'm seeing on the measurements are direct mechanical contribution from the drivers.

No comment on this Dave?

I'm toying with the idea of cutting a void through the sub-baffle around the woofer, say 1/4" to 3/8" wide and filling that with silicone (yes, I love silicone :) ). How effective would this be in cutting down mechanical vibration from the basket to the baffle? Obviously I'd need to do a similar isolation at the magnet where it meets the central brace.
This I need to try but on a mock up, rather than this speaker. Tomorrow being "family day" here, it's a holiday - a good day to play around with this idea.

Disabled Account
Joined 2007
Lord. Just pour a cabinet out of reinforced cement and be done with it. :D

I could but that would be boring.

There is also the prospect of active vibration cancellation. Accelerometers would be mounted on each panel in the box, they would feed several amplifiers that would in turn drive transducers that would excite the panels with an inverse signal which would cancel the resonance...:scratch2:

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
No comment on this Dave?

It doesn't work. The energy has to go somewhere. If you can successfully isolate the driver (unlikely) then all the energy is going to have to be dissipated in the driver itself which is going to excite everything potentially nasty that there is in the driver.

Follow that far enuff and you get back to active vibration cancelation via a pair of tightly coupled push-push drivers. Done well it should reduce mechanical box loads to the order of 10% of the same drivers facing the same way.

dave

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
There is also the prospect of active vibration cancellation. Accelerometers would be mounted on each panel in the box, they would feed several amplifiers that would in turn drive transducers that would excite the panels with an inverse signal which would cancel the resonance...:scratch2:

Wouldn't push-push be a whole lot simplier?

(see John run out to the shop to construct a simple push-push test box)

dave

No comment on this Dave?

I'm toying with the idea of cutting a void through the sub-baffle around the woofer, say 1/4" to 3/8" wide and filling that with silicone (yes, I love silicone :) ). How effective would this be in cutting down mechanical vibration from the basket to the baffle? Obviously I'd need to do a similar isolation at the magnet where it meets the central brace.
This I need to try but on a mock up, rather than this speaker. Tomorrow being "family day" here, it's a holiday - a good day to play around with this idea.

John, see this link:Dipole Main Panel

Apparently SL believes it helps.

John

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.