Large 3-ways design / build

Will MJL21193's crazy design work as proposed?

• Yes

Votes: 57 51.4%
  • No

Votes: 7 6.3%
  • Maybe.

Votes: 34 30.6%
  • I'll laugh when it doesn't.:devily:

Votes: 13 11.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Disabled Account
Joined 2007
Do you have the DigiKey part number?

I do but on looking at the part again, I see I screwed up - it has a 400Hz low pass filter built in. Teaches me for not looking closely. :eek:

What motovated you to buy a reeplaccement for your accelerometer? Are you having doubts with your measurements...?

The accelerometer that I'm using now is home-made from a piezo buzzer out of a broken clock radio. I wanted something to compare it to.

It's a conspiracy - with so much to do this evening upon getting home I'm greeted by a black out - no power for 3 hours. Oh well, I needed time to relax anyway.
To satisfy my curiosity last night I did test the box but the results are inconclusive. I will test again (soon, I promise) and post the results. What I didn't do in the "before" tests was record the peak output so there is no point of reference for the new measurements. Arta shows it worse than it was before, at first glance. I'd like to find a CSD plot software that doesn't use the peak as 0db but plots it relative to the output.
Yes, hard to explain and I'm tired and frustrated (despite cooling my heels in the dark here for 3 hours).

I do but on looking at the part again, I see I screwed up - it has a 400Hz low pass filter built in. Teaches me for not looking closely. :eek:

The accelerometer that I'm using now is home-made from a piezo buzzer out of a broken clock radio. I wanted something to compare it to.

It's a conspiracy - with so much to do this evening upon getting home I'm greeted by a black out - no power for 3 hours. Oh well, I needed time to relax anyway.
To satisfy my curiosity last night I did test the box but the results are inconclusive. I will test again (soon, I promise) and post the results. What I didn't do in the "before" tests was record the peak output so there is no point of reference for the new measurements. Arta shows it worse than it was before, at first glance. I'd like to find a CSD plot software that doesn't use the peak as 0db but plots it relative to the output.
Yes, hard to explain and I'm tired and frustrated (despite cooling my heels in the dark here for 3 hours).

Sorry about your luck!

I did a quick internet search and came up with this link:

Using LAUD with Accelerometers

Digikey part number: MSP1001-ND. Cost US $45.00.

I think I will order one and give it a try.

Last edited:
Disabled Account
Joined 2007
Using LAUD with Accelerometers

Digikey part number: MSP1001-ND. Cost US $45.00.

I will check out LAUD.

If that is the ACH-01 it is cheaper at mouser. Mine is still unopened on the kitchen table.

dave

Send it to me, I'll open it :D

I had an ACH-01 added to a Digikey order nearly 2 years ago (when it was "just" $26) but deleted it in favour of some other parts I needed more. My loss.

Still haven't measured the "sili-surround" speaker but I did notice the my quick measurement the other day (the one I said looked bad) was taken with only 2 screws holding the driver in. It may make a difference if I put all of the screws in before testing...:eek:
Too much to do, not enough sleep takes its toll.

Disabled Account
Joined 2007

Oddly enough it didn't make much of a difference.

Measurement of the box in its original state:

118.PNG

Measurement after I added the magnet brace:

119.PNG

And measurement of the "sili-surround":

120.PNG

Without a point of reference between these, the results are pretty much useless. I didn't record the output peak on any of them and Arta putting the peak at zero db regardless of the output level makes this utility only useful for eye-candy.

Disabled Account
Joined 2007
Without a point of reference between these, the results are pretty much useless. I didn't record the output peak on any of them and Arta putting the peak at zero db regardless of the output level makes this utility only useful for eye-candy.

To give an example of what I'm saying, here is a measurement with no output - the speaker not making any sound:

121.PNG

To give an example of what I'm saying, here is a measurement with no output - the speaker not making any sound:

View attachment 158958
Hi John, i see your problem :rolleyes: I'm assuming you always stick the same signal at the same level into the speaker? If so couldn't you simply measure the voltage output after the preamp to get an idea of the peak?

I'm sure different software would be an advantage, but as a quick fix it might well work.

Mark.

Disabled Account
Joined 2007
Hi Mark,
No need to actually measure it, Arta does and displays the peak in mV. Now if it could be made to alter the plots with this number as a reference, then it would be useful.
Right now you cannot visualize any improvement based on these measurements.
In general, from my own observations, the plots with the most "noise" are the quietest panels, output wise. A panel with a high Q resonance will look very clean because the peak is what the plot is showing, move the db scale downward to equalize it and you see all of the "noise" that shows up in the other measurements.
Frustrating and I'm glad I didn't spend $50 on my accelerometer. :)

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member

Sadly true. That last post gives an idea of the background noise of your "house"

dave

Disabled Account
Joined 2007
Sadly true. That last post gives an idea of the background noise of your "house"

dave

I don't think the furnace was running at the time but clearly seen is the fan noise (?) from the computer at 400Hz. It is the closest source of noise in any case.

And if you study the 3 plots above you can see that 400Hz peak - it could give some perspective on the actual output.

Last edited:
No need to actually measure it, Arta does and displays the peak in mV. Now if it could be made to alter the plots with this number as a reference, then it would be useful.
Right now you cannot visualize any improvement based on these measurements.
Ah, i see ;) In actual fact you can get very useful information from it then, it just doesn't display too well as 0db is always the peak of the chart. However, you'll know how much better things are by the reduction in peak voltage & that can easily be converted in Db.

It just doesn't display to well so things end up looking similar even if they aren't. How about simply adding the peak voltage to each graph, after all if we can't convert things we shouldn't be here ;)

You know what i mean chap, by the way, where did this software come from as i'd be interested in it myself...

Keep up the good work :)

Mark.

Disabled Account
Joined 2007
Can you increase the signal to noise ratio by driving the loudspeaker harder (i assume that is what you are doing to vibrate the panels)?.

I have done this but it makes no difference in the CSD plots - they still look exactly the same. If the peak output is 1mV or 50mV, no difference in the plot and that is the difficulty.
All of this is difficult to describe but I'll do a demo next that will give a better picture.

I have done this but it makes no difference in the CSD plots - they still look exactly the same. If the peak output is 1mV or 50mV, no difference in the plot and that is the difficulty.
All of this is difficult to describe but I'll do a demo next that will give a better picture.

gotcha - there is a lot of noise somewhere in the circuit. Anytime I have that much noise i assume there is a ground problem and I also find it is correctable. I have confidence that you will be able to get this to work.

Disabled Account
Joined 2007
gotcha - there is a lot of noise somewhere in the circuit.

The circuit that pre-amplifies the accelerometer? It contributes no noise whatsoever, totally silent operation.
The accelerometer is picking up background noise in the same way as a microphone will pick up ambient noise. The point of the display was to show how Arta is plotting - setting the max peak at zero db regardless of the output level.
See, I said it was hard to explain.

The circuit that pre-amplifies the accelerometer? It contributes no noise whatsoever, totally silent operation.
The accelerometer is picking up background noise in the same way as a microphone will pick up ambient noise. The point of the display was to show how Arta is plotting - setting the max peak at zero db regardless of the output level.
See, I said it was hard to explain.

oops - i should have read what you wrote more closely instead of just looking at the graphs. It is a bad habit i have developed from having to read too many papers. sorry.

I'd like to see some raw data. In fact, if you can post a file I'd be happy to run some analysis.

gotta get my son up now from his non-nap - will make for a long afternoon.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.