L'Amp: A simple SIT Amp

ec616dgm.gif

Marchand Electronics used another interesting connection on their EC616 and EC626 amps.

ec616dgm.gif

Marchand Electronics used another interesting connection on their EC616 and EC626 amps.
Those are interesting alternatives. I actually tried a hybrid of the two last week - speaker output across the inductor, but cap coupled at the bottom. Actually I tried the cap at the top AND the bottom legs. The advantage was that a MUCH lower voltage rating for the cap was required, and the total voltage was lower compared to the resistor load. I still needed a separate source resistor bypass cap since I didn't have the fixed bias voltage that these circuits do...

G

Caution here: some people are making fun buying the entire worldwide stock, so can be warned...:D:) (aka some acummulators people)
Fun aside, these SIT pieces are very rugged (***) and if seller matches at least the idss/mu group, buyer needs to acquire only the required pair, and pay some attention building these things
Personally I buyed only the required pair of them in my experiences.

*** CURIOSITY TIME: in fact, in my experience, only diodes and SCR are more rugged than SITs.
My own experience table with silicon semiconductors and ruggedness (not only for audio):
diode > SCR > SIT > LATMOS > V-MOSFET > TRIAC > bipolar

Last edited:
Ralph, are you looking for production quantity or fun quantity?

I might be able to help with the latter. :)

I'm looking for 4 good units, so I can build myself an fun little amplifier (its gonna be push-pull). It seems really unfortunate that these things aren't a little more common!

I'd love it if I could put positive voltages on them, like a vacuum tube. So far the only versions I have found are the Sony 2SJ which wants negative voltages. That ultimately likely will not make a lot of difference in my project since I plan a separate power transformer for the driver section anyway.

Hi all. Please caution with tokins. I have measure a lot of THFs and 2sk180, 182 and between them there are a lot of variability. I suppose that all what we can get from chinese sources are rejects from production. So may be necessary buy a lot, get curves and then select the better ones. I have mounted one lamp with two THF51 not very similars each other and really I can perceive what different are each other. Sorry