Krill - The Next Generation

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
BTW - Steve .. cool website .. I like the 200 watter !!

OS

Thanks. The web site was done for me by Rob Southgate, RobS on the forum. It was a volunteer effort on his part and I thank him for it. There was also much input and proofing done by c2cthomas and PH104. In fact, I had very little to do with it. They did all the work, and it was much appreciated.

A lot of people have had trouble simulating the Krill, including me at first. Many of the earlier spice programs gave no results at all, god or bad.

Whether the Krill works as I think it does or not, it does work. I went in several directions with this circuit including high powered pro amps. I made several improvements to the schematics that improved performance also. My original goal was to build a very affordable and pleasant sounding amp. I also made high end amps because the demand was there. I had planned to show how this evolved over time, but it seems it became mired in controversy so I gave up. If the circuit works as I think, non BJTs would not bee a good choice due to their very low gate currents.

The circuit can be run at lower currents, but will switch before it reaches rated output. It still sounds good in my opinion. As for simpler, it would be difficult to make it any simpler than what I presented first. That schematic is on my web site.
Hi Steve,
Yes, things became unnecessarily mired in controversy. Not too worry.

If you are still interested, I for one am certainly interested in you showing us how this evolved over time.
So, please don't let others deter you from doing so.
:)

Hi Steve,
Yes, things became unnecessarily mired in controversy. Not too worry.

If you are still interested, I for one am certainly interested in you showing us how this evolved over time.
So, please don't let others deter you from doing so.

Yes, I'm still interested, I'm just not sure how to proceed. I have always tried to NOT do things the way they other people have done them. This seems to rub some people the wrong way. I am working on what to do next. It will be a new thread, not this one. I might even show my tube VGS driving my OPS.

Ex-Moderator R.I.P.
Joined 2005
Steve, dont let it get you

Around here we have a saying that directly translated goes like "empty barrels makes more noise"

Anyway, your new site looks real nice, smooth
Be cool and have patience, it will work your way, and ours

About amp design
Personally, at the moment, what I would like is a simple yet very tough design with multiple output devices, and driven with 2x 50Vdc, capeable of 400watt into 2ohm, solely fore driving woofers

Last edited:
Steve, dont let it get you

Around here we have a saying that directly translated goes like "empty barrels makes more noise"

Anyway, your new site looks real nice, smooth
Be cool and have patience, it will work your way, and ours

Thanks. I see what ostripper meant about the 200W amp. It isn't there. I will have to get that corrected. I knew the 400W amp wasn't there yet, but thought the 200W was.

Yes, I'm still interested, I'm just not sure how to proceed. I have always tried to NOT do things the way they other people have done them. This seems to rub some people the wrong way. I am working on what to do next. It will be a new thread, not this one. I might even show my tube VGS driving my OPS.

Hey Steve, excellent, that's the spirit :)

I look forward to reading about them.
keep well

Joined 2006
Paid Member
Hi Steve (and all others) It's good to see you up and posting about your Krill design. Sorry for my absence but I've been busy getting trained by my 16 year old granddaughter (now in the care of my wife and I). I expect that this will most likely take a good 10 years off of my life expectancy! :headbash:

I've posted the Krill LTspice simulation files in this post earlier in the thread. Ostripper contributed a lot to that (actually most of it), and I forgot to thank him earlier. Thanks OS! Just unzip it to a directory and run it. All you need to do is probe on the nodes you're interested in. It's ready to run and completely self-contained.

Steve hasn't posted his simulation files yet though.

Thanks Andy, I was being a bit dense not seeing that, I have since downloaded it :)

Rather looks like it..... the febrile attention span moves on......

Steve, when you do sims on the distortion artefacts for switching and non-switching output stages, you find that the harmonic profiles in Class AB are much more created by waveform compression due to emitter resistor and Vbe losses than by switching itself, as long as the switching is well controlled.

In Class AB, there is a spray of H5 and higher artefacts, even and odd, in a simple DEF Self II buffer. One certain way to reduce them is to pull back the value of the emitter resistors, as you would expect. I place a 1M resistor between output and input and examine the current through it; each uA is a volt, and getting it below 2.5Vp for 45Vp input is extremely difficult. This is a problem with just about any output stage, even a CFP, and they have their problems too, ameliorated only with non-switching.

I think your output stage is brilliant, but I see large signal compression as the culprit, and I'm not sure we are tilting at the right windmill.

Greetings from warm, humid southern Australia,

Hugh

Hi Hugh,

I tried your 1Meg resistor on the next amp I plan to post, as I have been working on it today. I get 0.39V peak to peak for an input of 57Vp to p. Once again, that is what I am currently working on. I have gone to 0.1 Ohm emitter resistors already. Remember, what I have posted so far is what I started with for an inexpensive and very reliable amp. It is not what I ended up with.

Thank you for your praise of my output stage. I am open to discussion on the compression issue.

Steve

Great Steve,
It's wonderful to see your posts are happening again unimpeded by the various voices that mired the threads in the past. I'm really interested in how your O/P stage has developed & hopefully you can bring us all along in this journey. Looking forward to your next instalment :)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.