Krell KSA 50 PCB

AndrewT said:
...Save yourself some drilling on the next one you build.

That is actually the drilling jig I used! They were only slightly cut down from a Crown Powerbase PA amp, where they were the only heatsinking...:xeye:

I still have two more for future use.

This will tend to bend the angle preventing contact between the heel of the angle and the heatsink.

I had the same thought, and I was going to use the offcut from the Powerbase heatsink plate as a spreader. I might still add some more machine screws though, better safe than sorry! :)

pinkmouse said:
Although my language skills are excellent for a Brit, ( after 10 years as a roadie, I can order beer, coffee, 3 phase 200A supplies, and various illicit items in about 12 languages), I have to draw a line at French technical publications. ;)

Any English language references?

Sorry to be late for the party, but that (above quote) is too frickin funny! :bawling: :bawling: :bawling: :bawling:

Upupa Epops said:
Aaron, how are fitted belts with transistors to heatsink ? By screws on narrow side ?

Hi Pavel-

Sorry I'm late on the reply, but the heat sinks are cast Aluminum and have a mounting "tab" as part of the original casting.

They come from Conrad in Australia. I have wanted to try them on many occasions but they are hard to acquire here in the US.

http://www.conradheatsinks.com/products/index.html

rabstg said:

Hi Pavel-

Sorry I'm late on the reply, but the heat sinks are cast Aluminum and have a mounting "tab" as part of the original casting.

They come from Conrad in Australia. I have wanted to try them on many occasions but they are hard to acquire here in the US.

http://www.conradheatsinks.com/products/index.html

That's correct! They aren't cheap, but they are worth it, for once i'm in the right country!!! Yes they are machined flat on one side too - they are totally part of it, i.e. don't come off :)

Aaron

Hey Pavel-

Sorry to say, but I have not seen them in the US. I cannot speak for Europe, but I have not seen any pictures of them in use outside of Australia.

I first wondered if they were extruded thick and then milled down but then I realized they are cast and just the tabs milled smooth.

rabstg said:

Finally something good coming out of Australia!! :bigeyes: Did I say that out loud?!?!

Your amps look VERY nice. One question. Why did you cross the N & P outputs to the devices? You "may" have been able to reduce the cable length by 50% by having straight wires.

haha!

It's just the way it worked out in the end, in reality i should have turned the boards around and had the wires coming out the other end........ I really only wasted a few cm of wire for the curve, as they have to go from one end to the other already!
Aaron

Just for the record:

The raw material for alloy is Bauxite, Australia has 20 % of the worlds Bauxite supply.
Alloy prices in Aus are low, that is why they have those awesome Conrad heatsinks.
A lot of people abroad have ordered Conrad heatsinks from Australia.
In the Tulip place Conrad's already have a name status.
Even with shipping costs added the cost is attractive.

Using a strip of alloy to make a U-bar from an L-bracket is the most effective to have a rigid bracket that stays flat.
The brackets i used on heatsinks i flattened too.

Am i the only one curious about Al's illicit items?

Pinkmouse,
Nice job on the heat sink! Let me know how it works out temperature wise. I measured my sink(look alike Krell) and its running at about 65 deg.c. which is a bit too high for me. I am going to move my drivers and bias transistor onto the main heatsink tonight and see how that works out. When you think about it most amps do have the drivers mounted with the outputs and bias sensor. They will be right under the pcb.

Mark

I've always been glad to be in Taiwan when speaking of heatsinks.
We can order heatsinks directly from the factory here. Just tell them the type and length you want, and everything will be ready in less than 3 days. The price depends on the weight, around $7 usd per kg, and each type varies a little. They even do the anodizing if demanded.

And I have put the catalog on my internet album so that friends can see them for reference when designing their own amplifiers.
Catalog

EJ said:
I've always been glad to be in Taiwan when speaking of heatsinks.
We can order heatsinks directly from the factory here. Just tell them the type and length you want, and everything will be ready in less than 3 days. The price depends on the weight, around $7 usd per kg, and each type varies a little. They even do the anodizing if demanded.

And I have put the catalog on my internet album so that friends can see them for reference when designing their own amplifiers.
Catalog

Can you arrange for a group buy?

:D

I moved the drivers and bias over to the heatsink on one channel tonight. So far bias is stable as a rock. The semi's will also be much happier running at the 50 deg c. temp of the main sink rather than at amuch higher temp with the smaller sink.

Mark

Attachments

• ksa-50 project 001 copy.jpg
    ksa-50 project 001 copy.jpg
    47.1 KB · Views: 1,083