Krell KSA 50 PCB

Mark A. Gulbrandsen said:
"no surprises, nothing special!"

Thats the best part about it :D .

Mark

Nothing special? I think they are :) Quite so..... value for money (well, what we've paid!!) they are good....

It was an excellent amp when it was released and to me it appears very very accurate at reproducing a recording as exactly as it should be!

That said, it's unreal on surround sound (movies, etc)...... Mind blowingly clear :)
Aaron

"Nothing special? I think they are Quite so....."

If you have studied many amplifiers like I have over the last 25 years you will find that the circuit really is nothing very special and its very simple. And thats what I like. The result is one of the best sounding Krell amplifiers ever designed and it is considered one of the top ten amps ever designed and still used by many reviewers today as their refrence amp........ Thats also what I like. The very best part is that we found a way to that signature Krell sound for just pennies on the dollar vs. buying even a used one.

Apparently of ampguru doesn't appreciate classic Krell amolifiers and this would apparently mean that he also doesn't appreciate classic cars, the Saturn V rocket, or Tektronix crt based Oscilloscopes...... Hence he has no clue what so ever about the finer things in life..... Oh welllllllll

Mark

apparently I need anger management...

...I don't think I understand what peoples issues with our building these amps is...but I have a suspicion there is a bunch more than meets the eye...or that they are willing to admit...

No-one in this group is building the KSA50 because we think they are the best at any cost (I hope), most of us aren't even fooling ourselves that they are the best for the costs we are incurring...

Basically we are building them for a lot reasons including but not wholly limited to...

They are cool,
Can be built easily,
have soul,
Sound 'good enough',
set a standard in their time,
won't involve litigation,

and are in their original form a minor work of art...

There are very few designs we, as DIYers, have access to that all these things are true of...

I for one am proud to have worked with a loose knit group of global collaborators, some of whom I've met, some of whom I've helped and all of whom I'd be very happy to 'work' with again.

In this context we are enthusiasts, not professionals, not scientists, not limited to return on investment analysis, not stuck with a bean counter watching our hours and materials.

...so quit beating the 'there are better amps' drum, we don't give a proverbial rats derriere. This is supposed to be fun, and continually hearing the same old negative arguments about the results of our endeavours is not adding anything of value to the mix.

Most every 'classic' is, by modern standards, obsolete, but for us fearless DIYers thats not really the point...I'd take an original of a classic mustang/corvette/lotus/ferrari over the much better modern ones, any day of the week...

So, chill, if you don't want to build a ksa50, don't, but get the intellectual, emotional, social and, if necessary, physical, heck out of the way of those of us that do...or as I learned in junior school, "if you can't say anything nice, don't say anything at all...

Stuart
PS Maybe I'll see you in Texas...

I looked at your PSU schematic Algar Emi, looks fine.

There is one thing i do not understand. Are GND Driver PCB and IN-input RCA not the same things (from input GND to connection hole on the main board, from here to the PSU GND; or do you seperately connect both to the PSU ground. And don't you use a resistor in the signalground connections?

diyAudio Member
Joined 2004
Upupa Epops said:
What do you listen to this time, gentleman, when thing, which is twonyfive years old, make your enthusiasm ? :xeye: Don't tell me, that you are every poor ;) .

What?

Is this english?? Doesn't make sense.

Leave these people alone, I've enjoyed reading this thread and although I certainly wouldn't tackle this myself I can see why it has an intrinsic appeal.

Stuart Easson said.....

They are cool,
Can be built easily,
have soul,
Sound 'good enough',
set a standard in their time,
won't involve litigation,

To which I say...........

Very definately, but hot running!

Definately!

Absolutely!

You won't be disappointed....

Many still use them as a Standard.....

At least we hope not......

If there are any litlgation charges we'll just send Jan the bill;) .

Mark

What a great KSA-50 photo!

Attachments

• krellfront.jpg
    krellfront.jpg
    64.6 KB · Views: 952
The empty bottle is a nice touch :clown:

imo, any class A amplifier is special.(or amolifier,Mark)
Building a ksa50 makes a lot more sense than constructing a later model Krill battleship.

I went by an art class this week and told them what they were doing was nothing special, and they should stop.
(i was thrown out, the nerve of those peasants !)

And now for something completely different:
here is a pic of the 80s 100 watts Class A hybrid Siltech Sphinx Project 16.
That picture looks familiar, you think they did some copy-catting ?

the travelling toiletpaper collector

Attachments

• p16.jpg
    p16.jpg
    90.3 KB · Views: 1,004
Reference to my post on page 132.
The diodes are there exactly for that, to protect if there is spikes from the coils. I got this idea from a Mark Levinson amp schematic that I saw before.

The 1.5mH was the only choke that I could get at 5A. We'll see, I'll try to plug it on in the next days.

Yes, this is for one channel. The final fuse value is still to be determined.

Bratislav: What do you mean by dc bloking caps? I never saw them in amp schematics. Please explain in more details?

Thanks....