Krell KSA 50 PCB

Getting close...

Hello folks,

I have the boards tested and the output section tested. I'm ready to fire it up "bench style" and if things run well I'll probably put it in an enclosure very soon. I have a case for my KSA50 but it is a little tight on space, still good things finally happening again.

I'll try to connect the KSA50 to the HI-FI in the next day or so and then some pics to share.

Holding back for now, ;)

Shawn.

Just wanted to say I'd be interested in a 'V3' version of the KSA-50, suggested by Jozua a few pages back.

I did buy Jan's original boards a couple of years back, but have yet to do anything with them (too many projects and not enough time!), but I'd prefer an accurate copy of the original design if it were to come about.

Jozua: do you still have that spare set of resistors going? How much would you sell them for inc. shipping to England?

Cheers,

JohnM

V3

Johnn

The KSA 50 version 3 will have to until I am finished with my three KSA100 projects. The last thing I want is to have never ending semi-finished projects lying around.

At this stage I am hunting high and low for another set of heat-tunnels similar to the ones used by Krell. If anybody can help in this regard, please contact me. It will speed up my projects immensely.

For the moment I intend to keep the resistors for backup.

Regards

Jozua

Before the long CRD wait started i bought a couple of NOS duct/fan combo's, posted a piccy of the ones for the CentoMKII.
Last time i checked they still had several units left, the demand for forced airflow heatsink tunnels totally collapsed the shoprunner told me.
Cost the equivalent of <$60/pc, including an EBM Papst fan and still in the factory wrapping.

(not sure what the longevity is of fans that have been on the shelves such a long time, but these fans have a hole under the label to access the bearings for a shot of silicon grease)

Joined 2003
Paid Member
Re: V3

Jozua said:
Johnn

At this stage I am hunting high and low for another set of heat-tunnels similar to the ones used by Krell. If anybody can help in this regard, please contact me. It will speed up my projects immensely.

Jozua

Jozua, I can't email you directly, but I have a pair of heatsink tunnels that might be of use to you. Shipping would be problematic, but the tunnels themselves would be inexpensive. They are modular and can be broken down and built up as you need. As they sit, each one is made up of 4 larger pieces (3 TO-3's each) and 4 smaller pieces (1 TO-3 each), plus shroud and end blocks. They might be OK, but I don't think they are a nice as the ones Jacco found.

Steve.

Attachments

• mvc-508f.jpg
    mvc-508f.jpg
    58.2 KB · Views: 831
Heatsinks & some feedback

Jacco

Thanks for your help.

Spind

Thanks - Your heatsinks look perfect and if they still are available I am definitely interested.

KSA50.2 vs KSA100.2 some feedback

I have been slowly replacing all my Krell amplifiers PSU capacitors. Last night I replaced the KSA50.2 caps. Compared to the 50.2 the 100.2 caps have about 100 hours use on them.

In the past I have shown a distinct preference for the 50.2 but last night I felt the 100.2 had a definite edge on the 50.2. The older caps had a much more 3 dimensional sound to them with no sharpness whereass the 50.2 was supertight but very sharp.

Jozua

Jozua, No P.

if i had Spind's sinks i'd close the open sides with 90 degree folded alloy plates that slide into the slots.
(no Al, i'm not falling for the sloth trap a second time)

The fan mounted on the other side of the tunnel with help of a homebrew adapter plate would enable airflow across the entire heatsink cross-sections.
Those extension profiles are pretty cool.

Anyone interested in the ducts i linked to is welcome to pm.
I don't have a SL of spare time, haven't even got round to send out some stuff i promised to Pierrot and several other people.
Guys like Loekie and Wimpie reside closer to that shop than me, either one of us three might be able to make it there.

(a shame you guys exchange so little Afrikaans overhere)