Krell KSA 50 PCB

RE: free samples from:

http://www.onsemi.com/site/MyON

This is not difficult. Fill out the form answering the questions. You have your own private company, don't you. Of course you do. Give all the address etc. info. You are evaluating the parts for a project are you not? Your little experiment might be the next big thing in amplifiers. Remember that Steve Jobs and company "stole" the mouse
idea from Xerox Parc where it was invented. And Bill Gates "stole" the GUI from Mac and Xerox Parc. Have a little chutzpa guys.

Prosit :drink:

To supply 800VA on 1200VA core, low flux density (1.4T) + E/S
dimensions 162 dia x 87 high x 8kg
240V : 2 x 28V
5 off $196.00 each nett + GST (10%)

That's in aussie $$$
I think that's a pretty good price, getting a quote from someone else in the hope it's cheaper again, but this guy knows his stuff well and proper....
Do they "sound" about right? they ARE overkill, but the powersupply is a major part - right?

NUTTTR said:
To supply 800VA on 1200VA core, low flux density (1.4T) + E/S
dimensions 162 dia x 87 high x 8kg
240V : 2 x 28V
5 off $196.00 each nett + GST (10%)

That's in aussie $$$
I think that's a pretty good price, getting a quote from someone else in the hope it's cheaper again, but this guy knows his stuff well and proper....
Do they "sound" about right? they ARE overkill, but the powersupply is a major part - right?

That's a somewhat lower rail than the Krell. I wondered aloud about doing this early in the thread - what's current* thinking?

And while we're on the subject of 'clone-ish' rather than 'clone', anyone else think it'd be a nice idea to make monoblocks? I don't know why more people don't (cost in commercial units aside) do monoblocks, surely it's a good idea to get rid of the need for expensive speaker cables?

*not that sort of current...

bremen nacht said:

That's a somewhat lower rail than the Krell. I wondered aloud about doing this early in the thread - what's current* thinking?

And while we're on the subject of 'clone-ish' rather than 'clone', anyone else think it'd be a nice idea to make monoblocks? I don't know why more people don't (cost in commercial units aside) do monoblocks, surely it's a good idea to get rid of the need for expensive speaker cables?

*not that sort of current...

It's actually higher than the original krell KSA-50 - KSA-50 was around the 25v or so (that's ac not dc - dc from mine should hit around +-38v or so)... The KSA-100 had higher rails, however, i'm going to have more power output than the ksa-100, just lower rails with truckloads of current hopefully!!!

I'm making a 3 channel amp, i've thought of monoblocks, but i've decided to go with 470mmx470mm for each channel heatsinking, which is harder to fit in a monoblock IMHO, so a cube design with 470mm x 470mm x 470mm... It's a BIG amp, and looking at possibly 40+kg at the end of it once it's together, monoblocks would be smaller but don't give me the simplicity this does for mounting the parts... Even the 2 channel one me and a friend are building (for him) will be the same size, so cooling will be sufficent (planning on running 150+w @ class a bias, so it will be a loungeroom heater!)....
I thought 3 channel was different, rarely done, but well suited to my situation, and it's not something i'd sell!
Aaron

blocks, big heatsinks and where are the pictures

I am making monoblocks, My metalworking skills are at the other end of the scale from Peter Daniels, so I'll probably just prop the heatsinks against the wall for a while until someones kid zaps itself...

I recently traded for some heatsinks, 10"x8.5"x0.25"base with 1.0" fins (3/inch). I have tried it with a dummy load, it is better than 0.4c/w, so for normal domestic purposes, 100w is about the limit for passive cooling, at that point the temp will be >55c, too hot to touch. I plan on using 2 for each channel, gives me some margin.

Aaron, given that your heatsinks are at least 4x the area, you should get >0.1c per watt, so each of your plates should be good for 350w, assuming your ambient is approx 20c, and you spread the thermal load. Given that you have 4 of them I reckon you'll be OK, herniated, hot and sweaty, but OK.

So I think it's time to start taking and showing pictures of all the cool ingredients people are going to use to construct these monsters...I'll see if I can find my camera...

Stuart

Stuart, unfortunately, althought i have the designs mostly drawn up, we are having trouble finding somewhere to get heatsink from over here for a reasonable price (i.e. cheap!).... Spreading parts around the heatsink is also proving difficult with the "3 layer" construction i want to use (toroids on bottom, alloy plate, then caps and bridged rectifiers, then alloy plate, then boards......
However, putting the parts down the heatsink (which will be the side panels) will be difficult.. I'm planning on getting (soon) some 10ga copper bars (rods/whatever) to use as "rails" for the outputs ;) They should carry "enough" current i'd guess ;)
the cover/base plates (and front plate) will be flat alloy "sunk" into the heatsink bits, so we need it routered or machined/whatever (which we can get done aparantly!) so they are "flush"... Once i get the parts they'll be up for show, but we are having a little trouble :( Once i do find a supplier, i'll be the first to post the pics of my stock pile (now ~140 outputs! (70 pairs or so) of varying types...
Toroids will be made once we get the boards and caps (want to make sure i've got the rest of the amp before shelling over $1100 for toroids!) then it's casing!

If ANYONE has ANY good contacts in australia for heatsink (in what i'd call "bulk" quantities, please do speak up!!! Just post here (my e-mail functions disabled)
Thanks heaps all!
Aaron

GeWa said:
Maybe I've overlooked it, but is there already a partslist of the amp somewhere?

GeWa

Hey GeWa-

Well a "partial" list was posted earlier but not a final list.

If we can assemble one and find a supplier I "MAY" be willing to do a GB for the parts also. I have not even started gathering the parts yet and I'm sure several others are in the same boat.

The parts GB would depend on how this PCB GB goes and just how much hair I loose. I can't afford much. :xeye:

Just curious. Did the KSA 50 use plastic output transistors like the MJL21194/93 and MJE15033/32?
Seems like both NUTTTR and Stuart Easson confirmed "The schematics I have show mj15003/4 pairs" albeit with a small disclaimer about
"the choice of output transistors is a somewhat sensitive subject, close to religion or politics... "
But then if this is a clone, it might be a good idea to publish a parts list that reflects the original components accurately.
The MJ15003/4 sell for about 2 bucks and 25 can be had from onsemi as free samples.

Prosit :drink: