Krell KSA 50 PCB

Mark A. Gulbrandsen said:

Would it be possible to e-mail everyone and let us know when the fuinds are due?
Thanks, Mark

Mark-

I have a paypal account which I just cleared and emptied for this GB.

I will be ordering the boards next Friday and you are welcome to pay ANY time before then.

stgrab@yahoo.com is the paypal account, and cash is always welcome. :D Email for address. Remember payment MUST be recieved before COB next Friday.

Jozua said:
Hi

Please add me to the list- I need boards for two stereo amps.
Please advise how and when payment is required ?
Maybe somebody can organise a group buy of top notch quality parts for boards and output devices as I am sure most of us can source the tranformers , caps and cases locally ?
Thanks.
Jozua

Jozua-

1. You can add yourself to the wiki below.
2. See comment o Mark above.
3. Get me a "complete" list of parts required and I can get quotes from Mousser and Digi-key.

And the daily Wiki link:

http://www.diyaudio.com/wiki/index.php?page=KSA-50Wiki

Jozua said:
Hi

I beginning to wonder if consideration should not be given to adding a discrete balanced line input stage or are we going to keep it as close as possible to the original design ?

Jozua

Jozua-

I would love to see such a board designed, and I could have some made for those intrested. If they were a seperate board then they could be used with any project not just this one.

Coulomb said:
For those who are interested there is a Group Buy going right now for a Balanced Line Driver PCB's buy Digi01.
Regards

Anthony

Hey Anthony-

"Balanced Line Driver" We are looking for BL receiver. I bought a few of digi01's BLD's and they are great, but I need the "other" end also.

Wiki wiki..... Sorry just had to.. Top of the page and all...

http://www.diyaudio.com/wiki/index.php?page=KSA-50Wiki

Board costs and shipping

Hi All-

Here is the board cost and shipping. As you can see, I do not make anything on this GB, I just get to make a KSA-50.

I figure $3 will cover packaging and shipping in the US.

I "hope" $5 will cover other countries..

Attachments

• pcb costs.gif
    pcb costs.gif
    3.4 KB · Views: 1,371
K-amps said:

Point I was trying to make, for some unknown cosmic reson, SS amps with lower rails sound better.... so 30-0-30 will not quite have the magic of 20-0-20 etc.

I have to agree, the best sounding SS amps I have heard all have fairly low rails. 20 volt rails is plenty for most applications, esp. if doubling of power into lower impedance loads is desired.

George

Panelhead said:

I have to agree, the best sounding SS amps I have heard all have fairly low rails. 20 volt rails is plenty for most applications, esp. if doubling of power into lower impedance loads is desired.

George

How come that is the case? (sounding better) is there something to it, or just black magic? Seriously interested because lower rails actually make it EASIER for me rather than harder, just wondering if there's a reason? i could go with 28vac or something instead.. :)
Aaron

NUTTTR said:

How come that is the case? (sounding better) is there something to it, or just black magic? Seriously interested because lower rails actually make it EASIER for me rather than harder, just wondering if there's a reason? i could go with 28vac or something instead.. :)
Aaron

I think it has to do with balancing the current and voltage for a given power output.
For a 50 watt amp into 8 ohms, the power 50 = V X V /8 so the required voltage swing is 20 volts. Read where the factory rails on the KSA-50 were 36 volts. This is more than enough.
I suspect that 30 volt rails will work fine also. Even considering the voltage drop across the output devises you should still easily swing 20 - 25 volts with 30 volt rails. The volt swing is rms, not p to p.

George

Panelhead said:

I think it has to do with balancing the current and voltage for a given power output.
For a 50 watt amp into 8 ohms, the power 50 = V X V /8 so the required voltage swing is 20 volts. Read where the factory rails on the KSA-50 were 36 volts. This is more than enough.
I suspect that 30 volt rails will work fine also. Even considering the voltage drop across the output devises you should still easily swing 20 - 25 volts with 30 volt rails. The volt swing is rms, not p to p.

George

Ah right.... Hmmmm....
I don't think i will have much of a problem with voltage sag (800va per channel toroid!), so i might consider lowering the rails just a little!
Thanks
Aaron