jordan mltl 48

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
BSC / equalization

GM was kind enough to come to my house and give me suggestions on how to improve my pair of JX92 MLTL 48s. First off, they were over stuffed. They cleared up a lot after I removed my damping material and added the minimal lining he suggests. Second, I moved them to a different section of the room following his suggestions.

As to the BSC - perhaps you liked the sound of the VTL's because of their wide baffle, which moves the baffle step loss to a different region of the audible spectrum, as compared to the narrow baffle of the MLTL.

In my case, the final improvement came with the purchase of an equalizer, the ART 341 dual 15-band unit. With this, I can dial in the amount of baffle-step correction that is required. I know exactly what you mean about finally being able to hear the bass content of the music. What is happening is that you are suppressing the mid and high-frequency content. You then have to turn your amp up higher to achieve the same subjective "loudness" level, so the relative content of low-frequency energy is higher, so the bass is more prominent.

On my EQ, I have a downward slope starting at 160 Hz, linearly falling to about -4db at 4000Hz, with an additional "dip" centered around the 2000-4000 level. I leave the 10 and 20k sliders at 0db, since I often listen far off-axis, and the JX92s need all the help they can get in the shimmer department.

I know active eq is not "audiophile", but the ability to tailor the system according to my whims is a huge benefit - if I pull the speakers away from the wall, I can further cut the highs to compensate. If I want to get the midbass "hump" at 250 to enhance my enjoyment of rock records, I can dial that in as well.

I know there have been other posts about using digital front-ends with equalizer plugins to accomplish the same thing, but with much better resolution. Anyway, for $90-$100, the active eq could either serve as a permanent solution, or could help you determine exactly what level of BSC you need, so you can build a passive component to suit.

Thank you for your suggestion Ilewis33. I'll keep in mind as a further step.
Even if now I am completely satisfied with my speakers, I think they still can be improved; I did so many errors while building them...
However, now it is time that, after 6 months, I should paint them first.

Renato

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.