Jordan Eikona 2 vs MarkAudio Alpair 10.3/ 10p

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I'm pretty sure that Colin would opine that the Eikona was a substantial upgrade over the 92 - so the question for some might still be a matter of diminishing returns.

Of the few folks who may have experienced both, I think we've heard a very diplomatic expression by Frank as to the "comparison", or should we say - relative merits of each?

I for one am interested I have jx92xs in backhorns for about ten years now. I have been very impressed with their performance and have some very nice 3way speakers to co.pare them to. I don't find their upper end lacking at all, but the 3 ways do sound a bit more warmer and controlled. I'm looking for a meaningful upgrade in the same enclosure. So I'm looking for experience from the Jordan camp as to whether or not it is a big Improvement. As for the Mark Audio drivers I'm open to them, but I need them to work in the existing enclosure.

Thanks,

PJN

I'm pretty sure that Colin would opine that the Eikona was a substantial upgrade over the 92 - so the question for some might still be a matter of diminishing returns.

Of the few folks who may have experienced both, I think we've heard a very diplomatic expression by Frank as to the "comparison", or should we say - relative merits of each?

Haha! "...relative merits." Yes, I like that. I always try to be diplomatic, but I think I got my point of view across.

I for one am interested I have jx92xs in backhorns for about ten years now. I have been very impressed with their performance and have some very nice 3way speakers to co.pare them to. I don't find their upper end lacking at all, but the 3 ways do sound a bit more warmer and controlled. I'm looking for a meaningful upgrade in the same enclosure. So I'm looking for experience from the Jordan camp as to whether or not it is a big Improvement. As for the Mark Audio drivers I'm open to them, but I need them to work in the existing enclosure.

Thanks,

PJN

I also owned a pair of JX92s. The Eikona 2 are a substantial improvement. The highs are much smoother. No signs of sibilance or ringing. The bass can most definitely go deeper and is better controlled.

I think the mids also sound better, but measurement wise the 92s and Eikona 2 are pretty similar in the middle. So I think my perception that the Eikona 2 have smoother mids probably has more to do with how the highs shade my perception of them. Then again, it could be the Eikona 2's lower distortion at play as well.

Yep, I know what I heard, and liked it for obvious reasons, although I have the first version and, gosh...should I upgrade...?...:devily:

The Eikona 1? I also have a pair of those! (There are few full aluminum range drivers I have not tried).

The Eikona 2 are certainly easier to build a box for (better T/S parameters) and there are some other differences here-and-there. No massive differences, but you can hear it side-by-side. The build quality of the Eikona 2 is also definitely much better.

Yes Eikona 1, had to wait ages for them, they were being built to order originally and the situation was less than ideal, one of the reasons they went over to scanspeak I believe. Yes I imagine build quality is better now, but mine have a little union jack on them! And I actually prefer the shape

Yes Eikona 1, had to wait ages for them, they were being built to order originally and the situation was less than ideal, one of the reasons they went over to scanspeak I believe. Yes I imagine build quality is better now, but mine have a little union jack on them! And I actually prefer the shape

Oh, yeah. You have one of the first editions. Mine were made by whoever Jordan used after that, but before ScanSpeak. If you ever want to sell those, let me know.

I also owned a pair of JX92s. The Eikona 2 are a substantial improvement. The highs are much smoother. No signs of sibilance or ringing. The bass can most definitely go deeper and is better controlled.

I think the mids also sound better, but measurement wise the 92s and Eikona 2 are pretty similar in the middle. So I think my perception that the Eikona 2 have smoother mids probably has more to do with how the highs shade my perception of them. Then again, it could be the Eikona 2's lower distortion at play as well.

Thanks for the info,. I'll need to start saving my pennies.

I ended up getting the Eikonas and I have been breaking them in very slowly.
Now they can be pushed and I thought I might pick your brain about a couple amperage and wiring questions I wrote down in this thread:

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/full...ivers-internal-wiring-cable-requirements.html

If some of you guys have done this kind of testing and care to share your observations I would very much appreciate it.

Nothing, it's the bare driver I did those calculations on for now.
They will probably be different once the driver is loaded with the cabinet air mass, but I don't know by how much.
That's why I was asking other people here to share their results, if they ever investigated the transient current max value.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.