John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's the point, I agree with Scott. I intend to build a boundary mic (with very little diffraction effects, I hope) with WM61A or similar and need some verification tool for its HF perfomance. Sure I could simply buy (no, I can't afford, actually) or try to loan an Earthworks or Gefell or BK -- but I also want to learn sth., that's why I lurk around here at DIYA (and in this thread).

What are you showing us? A power amp designed by me? A power amp that meets 'objective' specs? Appears to be a 3500 'clone'. Beware! Unless you don't listen except for just power without audiophile quality. This is where I went wrong about 10 years ago, and could not get any rating, after review, in 'Stereophile' and yet I could not 'measure' anything significant wrong with it. We successfully developed the BAR-B-Q amp from this model, and it cost us initially $1000 from Parasound, factory wholesale, and then we developed the JC-1 with better passive parts.
Of course, if you buy a unit like this and then want to make it 'listenable' keep informed on this thread.

Well, back to business, (hopefully). Scott, you mentioned TANH approaches to linearizing input stages in solid state designs. Any recommendations of this approach that amateurs can use, and that do not generate excessive amounts of higher order distortion in trade for lowering lower order distortion? A few weeks ago, I attempted to get SY to post a page from Gilbert's '98 article on the subject. Unfortunately, SY has been unable to do so, so I am again stuck with info that I cannot put up myself. A picture might be worth 1000 words, but I am stuck with just words at the moment. Sorry about that, everyone. I have little choice.

john curl said:
Well, back to business, (hopefully). Scott, you mentioned TANH approaches to linearizing input stages in solid state designs. Any recommendations of this approach that amateurs can use, and that do not generate excessive amounts of higher order distortion in trade for lowering lower order distortion? A few weeks ago, I attempted to get SY to post a page from Gilbert's '98 article on the subject. Unfortunately, SY has been unable to do so, so I am again stuck with info that I cannot put up myself. A picture might be worth 1000 words, but I am stuck with just words at the moment. Sorry about that, everyone. I have little choice.

You can always e-mail it to me, John. I do mind judgments of personal qualities, but I don't mind judgments of technical solutions, as you know.

CG said:

That particular problem will disappear in the United States this Friday, at least for the most part. New problems will take its place.

They already took the place.

john curl said:
Accused me of 'stealing ideas', if I am not mistaken.

You are mistaken. I accused you in not seeing differences between judging people and technical solutions, for me it is a big difference. I did not reject your calls; my cellphone sometimes does, and I find missed calls and messages with no rings at all. But I don't understand how can you send a file by phone, it is a miracle....

I wish you to feel better John!

john curl said:
Shall we go forward?

As Wavebourn said there is more than one way to skin a cat. Here is the AD8099 input linearizer (which does NOT compromise the noise unlike the tanh technique), US6963244. You would like Nathan a lot, he was at the Bongo dinner too :). You probably need to read the patent for a full understanding. This was one of two techniques in house and his won.

Attachments

• nathan.jpg
    nathan.jpg
    32.8 KB · Views: 806
Status
Not open for further replies.