John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is a Blowtorch thread, no global FB complementary-differential preamp. I would like to mention that I have just designed and built another non global feedback, complementary-differential preamp. Based on BJTs again, with different output stage - I gave up a diamond buffer and used another push-pull output class A stage, with much higher bias current. Right now it is under listening tests, and seems to be promising. I am moving step-by-step to John Curl and Charles Hansen design philosophy.
This preamp would not be a DIY project.

john curl said:
I learned more from PMA's last preamp project, than your phono stage. Virtually everything that you did, I did 15-25 years before, in principle. I don't wish this to be anything but a critical appraisal, since you, Syn08 keep implying, otherwise.

I'm not here to educate you John, at least not for free. Send me an email and I'll reply back with my hourly rate. That would be your best spent money in the last 40 years.

EDIT: I can understand your need to be critic; your Vendetta SCP phono stage now shares the fate of the Cretacic reptilians, facing the pitchfork weilding mammals competition.

You do seem to contribute in free criticism of others on this thread, why? It looks like self-promotion to me.
Syn08 you are in a unique position to contribute to this website. You are better educated than most, and have some competence in circuit design. Why denigrate the rest of us, especially with 'cheap shots'? We are all trying to contribute here.

john curl said:
You do seem to contribute in free criticism of others on this thread, why? It looks like self-promotion to me.
Syn08 you are in a unique position to contribute to this website. You are better educated than most, and have some competence in circuit design. Why denigrate the rest of us, especially with 'cheap shots'? We are all trying to contribute here.

I don't denigrate anybody, and I don't see how I could touch your reputation as a legendary designer, in particular because I recognize it myself.

However, your inability to credit anybody but those kissing your *** (while OTOH expecting al the credit in the world, even when you are blatantly wrong) is certainly annoying and I feel an urge to call you on it from time to time. It's not about me, it's mostly about all the former and present contributors on this forum (and not only).

john curl said:
I hired my first PhD as a consultant in 1974, what do you have to offer? This engineer designed a phase compensated anti-aliasing filter for a project I was working on.

John, I was just jesting. I don't do electronic design for a living, I'm only a hobbyst.

Some people around (including yourself) are taking DIY Audio waaaay to serious :)

john curl said:
Why people 'dilute' and 'pollute' this and other threads with half baked understanding or opinion, is beyond me.

See John, this is exactly the type of comment that makes me and others call you about. I'll save it this time, but not before reminding you that this is not a forum of audio professionals, but just another Internet corner where people (of all professions, skills, education levels, backgrounds, etc...) gather together.

This is essentially a pub and to expect that everybody stands and respectfully listens when you enter is nothing more than naive. You need another kind of reputation that that of a famous audio designers to be appreciated in a pub :rofl:

Status
Not open for further replies.