John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does anybody still have/use AM (SW/MW/LW) radio?

I use my pocket world-reciever to quickly find major RF emitters... it's amzing how much dirt is in the the air and on cables today, compared to like 10 or 20yrs ago... also emitted from displays of CDP's etc. People have reported that their systems sound better when all displays are turned off, for good reasons...

Scott, while I have your attention...

... you once mentioned spark gap calibration etc of microphone capsules (Earthworks does this, IIRC). Are there any accessible sources that one could exploit? I think I understand the basic principle (the "rectangular" nature of the pulse -- not a dirac) but would like to learn more about it.

- Klaus (and, sorry John, polluting "your" thread :rolleyes: )

KSTR said:
Scott, while I have your attention...

... you once mentioned spark gap calibration etc of microphone capsules (Earthworks does this, IIRC). Are there any accessible sources that one could exploit? I think I understand the basic principle (the "rectangular" nature of the pulse -- not a dirac) but would like to learn more about it.

- Klaus (and, sorry John, polluting "your" thread :rolleyes: )

Klaus PM me and I'll send you what I have. I have a reference that confirms that a spark discharge really generates a doublet pressure wave, which is obvious once you think about it. The calibration at the highest frequencies remains elusive but I have convinced myself that what I have is close enough for "government work".

This might be off topic but......

Scott,
Big Brother is watching..........................:D

Attachments

• 530db2c008a0bf156f7d7010_l.jpg
    530db2c008a0bf156f7d7010_l.jpg
    29.4 KB · Views: 429
Scott, there are more sophisticated measurement techniques. It would seem to me that you are working essentially blind, and helping amateurs to be in the same position as yourself. Microphone measurement is not an easy thing, and even understanding microphone frequency response has not yet been put up here or anywhere else on this thread, so far as I know. Why THIS thread?

Status
Not open for further replies.