John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier

Status
Not open for further replies.
janneman said:

It takes a large jump in self-criticism and self-research to even admit the possibility that there is more to it than the sound that 'pops up' in your head. Yet, the scientific evidence is overwhelming. Not just audio, in every other walk of life.

In some areas it is more accepted than others. In the air line industry for instance it is a factor that is routinely taken care of. Talk to jet pilots: it is very common for them to be completely, absolutely sure that they are flying straight and level while in reality they are making turns while flying upside down. They are trained to ONLY trust their instruments and distrust their own senses. I believe this is one of the hardest things for humans to do.

Let me ask you:
Do you have high-end audio setup at home?

janneman said:

John, that's not fair. You have been posting here and given your views on audio for several years. We know your opinions on audio from those 100's of posts where you were very outspoken.
Are you saying that you have been fooling us all? That you really think something completely different that you posted? That can't be true!

Do you agree with John Curl's views on audio as presented in various posts in this thread?

john curl said:
Please understand that I am an old man, living on royalties (minimal) and Social Security, worrying how I will pay my next doctor bill. Before I leave this Earth, I hope to impart some learned 'wisdom' to others. That is my main interest here. If you think that this is all nonsense, you can go elsewhere, and why not? Why hassle with me?

Dear John Curl,
Let me introduce myself,
I'm Per Jacobsen living in Saskatoon, Canada.
I also is getting more mature ( age 66 but busy designing audio equipment and loving every moment :)

Thank you for all the great designs you have given the world !!!

Best of the season,
Per

Andy_C is absolutely right about Les Leventhal.
Leventhals paper concentrated on the fact, that the error risk for a Type 2 error increases rapidly if the listeners probability of detection falls below 0.9 (for whatever reason) for the usual number of 16 trials.

Back than i was a bit shocked by the authors reaction to Leventhals analysis, with the exception of Dan Shanefield, who did react in an very professional way.

Of course one can only speculate about the listener´s detection probability as long as no controls are incorporated.
For the "small number of trials problem" only exist two possible solutions- first, raise the number of trials, which is quite impractible in most cases, as you need up to several hundred of trials for p=0.6 or
second, train the listeners to get higher p figures (and verify it by using positive controls)

And, use negativ controls as well to ensure that differences are really based only on original signal quality differences.

Wishes

Janneman, there are people here who cannot see my position, even if hundreds of inputs are put in front of them. This is my situation with SYN08.
Do you really think that I am some sort of person that he describes? Maybe, YOU think that wire is a joke. And maybe you have been able to ignore it, or have luckily fallen into some hookup wire that you are completely happy with. That's OK with me, but not all of us are so lucky (or ignorant) depending on the individual. I invite input on this subject.

janneman said:
Your last point is the biggest hurdle to progress in this field. It takes a large jump in self-criticism and self-research to even admit the possibility that there is more to it than the sound that 'pops up' in your head. Yet, the scientific evidence is overwhelming. Not just audio, in every other walk of life.
Jan Didden

Surely there are more to it but that is a silly excuse to not learn to use your ears / brain as a measuring device. It is important to know these influences though.

SY said:
Because presumably you're a human. Your brain is hardwired in ways that cause you to be fooled without even knowing it. Jan has recommended several excellent books to help you understand the nature of perception- it might help to read one or two of them.

I'm quite aware of all the influences, thats why I redo some of my tests with blind testing to confirm the results but apparently thats also not good enough.

SYN08, what started this was: ""There are things you are flat wrong about (cables, wiring, bybee devices, etc ...) Admitting wrong doings is one of the attributes of high more fibre. "
Now I will say to everyone out there, IF you don't believe in 'cables, wiring, bybee devices, etc' then I have nothing in common with you, and virtually everything that I know to make better audio is beyond your understanding.
You know, I have been a good friend to Jack Bybee for the last 15 years or so, and he is turning 79 this month. Still, I have learned more about audio quality from him than the combination of everyone on this website. Yet, I am supposed to ignore or even condemn Jack Bybee, when I have been 'in the trenches' with him, making AC noise reducing devices, and 'inside' his exotic components. I would be a hypocrite to condemn him, as I have some idea what he is up to, even though I don't know why his components make as much change as they do. Perhaps it is all psychological (that's what SY would say) but I trust what I hear, and the opinions of my colleagues.
For example I was with Jack Bybee, we were going for lunch, when he wanted to stop off at a quality hi fi store in Walnut Creek, CA to demo his 'Bybee Purifier' I had originally met the store owner, but I did not know him very well.
Initially the sound of the demo system was pretty good, and balanced. He installed the Bybee device in series with the main components of the system, and it went DULL sounding. It was embarrassing, but there it was! He removed the device it it came back to normal. WHY? We had the best intentions, the total MEASURABLE change was 0.2 ohms of resistance, with NO significant (or even easily measurable) capacitance or inductance. Should this make such a difference? AND WHY?
Yet, I am supposed to say that it is a figment of imagination, because the 'physics' of this is either classified or not yet well known yet? I saw the inside of one of these grey cubes. The Bybee devices were end plated with platinum, would anyone rationally do that when it is going to be permanently hidden in some plastic cement for eternity? That is because they were made for the military, not consumers. Later, Jack was able to get silver end caps. MUCH more solderable.
This is but one of dozens or even hundreds of episodes, yet because SYNO8 has not been clued in as how they work, then they can't. What a blockhead!:cubehead:

john curl said:
Now I will say to everyone out there, IF you don't believe in 'cables, wiring, bybee devices, etc' then I have nothing in common with you, and virtually everything that I know to make better audio is beyond your understanding.

John,

You are a physicist. If someone will drop by your place and claim he invented a device that flagrantly contradicts the (say) thermodynamics principles (e.g. a perpetuum mobile), or Shannon's theorem (e.g. noise reduction without filtering), would you accept that device as valid without questions? Would you take his subjective opinions regarding the device (e.g. "I clearly heard a noise reduction") as proof?

BTW, I think your legacy is much more than 'cables, wiring, bybee devices'. I really appreciate your contributions beyond these :D

This is but one of dozens or even hundreds of episodes, yet because SYNO8 has not been clued in as how they work, then they can't. What a blockhead!:cubehead:

See above. Otherwise, no comments :D

I give almost anything temporary acceptance. Why not? I don't know everything in the universe. Physics seems to change every decade. It certainly isn't what I learned in class, except for the most common situations.
My criterion for making a judgement is LISTENING for myself to a component change. That is what happened with Bybee, silver wire, capacitors, etc. I don't want components to cost a lot, but usually the best just happen to do so.
Just 1 hour ago, I talked to Jack Bybee. He is now using some gold-sliver alloy wire for his best stuff that costs something like $30/inch. Too much for me, I'm afraid.

Status
Not open for further replies.