John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier

Status
Not open for further replies.
AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
john curl said:
Janneman, there are people here who cannot see my position, even if hundreds of inputs are put in front of them. This is my situation with SYN08.
Do you really think that I am some sort of person that he describes? Maybe, YOU think that wire is a joke. And maybe you have been able to ignore it, or have luckily fallen into some hookup wire that you are completely happy with. That's OK with me, but not all of us are so lucky (or ignorant) depending on the individual. I invite input on this subject.

John, the point wasn't whether syno8 agrees with you. You said syn08 doesn't have a clue what you opinion on audio is. Yet we, and syn08, have been reading 100's of posts from you how you think about audio. We KNOW your views. Unless you have been fooling us all the way, which I don't think is the case.

And, whether you like it or not, I did recognize you in syn08's description. Just my personal view, others MMV.

Jan Didden

Joshua_G said:
In an attempt to distinguish between mere intellectualization and real knowledge, which is based on both theory and experience, let me repeat my question to stinius, syn08 and janneman -- to each and every one of you:

Do you have high-end audio setup at home?

You are new here, aren't you?

A little more humility would stand you in good stead ....

Joshua_G said:
In an attempt to distinguish between mere intellectualization and real knowledge, which is based on both theory and experience, let me repeat my question to stinius, syn08 and janneman -- to each and every one of you:

My stock answer to such a cheeky question coming from a total stranger is, in this virtual world, the same as it would be in real life: it's not your :censored: business.

fredex said:

A good question. How much do I have to spend before I can say my system is High End?

It is up to each and every one to determine for oneself what high-end is.

This question of mine is only about the opposing views in this thread. It meant to attempt distinguish the degree of actual experience in the topics debated. There is no intention to peep into the budget of anyone.

Joshua_G said:
It is up to each and every one to determine for oneself what high-end is.

This question of mine is only about the opposing views in this thread. It meant to attempt distinguish the degree of actual experience in the topics debated. There is no intention to peep into the budget of anyone.

Well if its up to each and everyone to determine what high end is, an answer to your question will fail to "distinguish the degree of actual experience in the topics debated."

fredex said:

Well if its up to each and everyone to determine what high end is, an answer to your question will fail to "distinguish the degree of actual experience in the topics debated."

The answer may fail, as much as it may not fail.
We will see that should the persons addressed would reply by either "yes" or "no" – for there may be following questions.

As I said above – the only purpose of that question of mine is to distinguish between mere intellectualization, or pseudo-science, versus stands based on both theoretical knowledge combined with actual experience in the matters discussed here.

Should anyone perceive this question of mine as out of place, I'd be glad to know why.

Please bear in mind – I'm putting myself on the line here.
I'm aware that personal question like I asked may be, or may seen, as intruding to others' personal realm – which is rude. However, between delicacy and rudeness, I choose to explore the truth of the matter. By "the truth of the matter" I mean the real, versus the imagined, or the mere theorized, which isn't backed up by experience of the real world.

If I'm not clear here – please ask and I promise to reply to the point.

Originally posted by john curl:
Joshua_G, please don't get caught up with these individuals who are provoking you.
------
:cool: A very good advice!!
Argueing back and forth in this (childish) way will make nothing constructive.
Let's get back to some interesting amplifier issues ... please.

Lineup ;) audio regards

By fredex - A good question. How much do I have to spend before I can say my system is High End?

A VERY good question.. I personally have done both, 1. went
to the local Hi Fi store, bought a pair of KLH speakers , onkyo
HT amp,cd player. walked away from the store 1K$ poorer.
2. joined the forum (diyaudio), found trashed 500VA Trafo's,
old heatsinks and built 50$ amps from scratch..

The question is which would be considered "High end"??
The 1000$ high end system has already needed a little
high-end repair (pair of op devices) because they didn't want
to use a decent HS..too much aluminum (maybe 2k would
solve that..)

My 50$ 'symasym" clones (120W) are cool all day as I prefer their
sound (on the klh speakers) ..but they are only 100$.:(
They are not "high end" as they are not expensive enough..
(maybe some gold plated input plugs) or maybe a 500$
case (then they just might be) BUT... hey, they would still sound
the same:).

If the "highend" 1000$ amp used some obsolete proprietary IC
then IT could be a "highend" doorstop.. (or parts for DIY)
OS

AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Joshua_G said:

This is so disappointing. I spend several hours the past few days to try to explain something. I tried to give a reasoned account that hangs together logically. I gave references to books that discuss these issues. A few seconds with Google would support me big time. And what do I get? I will be judged by the speakers I keep. Man.

Jan Didden

Status
Not open for further replies.