John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier

Status
Not open for further replies.
Please understand that I am an old man, living on royalties (minimal) and Social Security, worrying how I will pay my next doctor bill. Before I leave this Earth, I hope to impart some learned 'wisdom' to others. That is my main interest here. If you think that this is all nonsense, you can go elsewhere, and why not? Why hassle with me?

Disabled Account
Joined 2008
john curl said:
Please understand that I am an old man, living on royalties (minimal) and Social Security, worrying how I will pay my next doctor bill. Before I leave this Earth, I hope to impart some learned 'wisdom' to others. That is my main interest here. If you think that this is all nonsense, you can go elsewhere, and why not? Why hassle with me?

John

I understand your situation, and I’m sorry if you think I hassle with you, that are really not my intention.
If you mean that I shall not post anymore in this thread that’s ok with me, just tell me to stay away.
I really don’t think its nonsense what you are writing.

Stinius

Disabled Account
Joined 2008
andy_c said:
While John's views of what makes good sound are not in agreement with those of the hardcore objectivists, one look at the measurements of the JC-1 shows that his designs deliver the goods at a reasonable cost.

For that reason, I think it's pretty darned unfair to be lumping John in with some of the questionable people of the high end.

I have never done that.

Stinius

An elegant reply..one of the best.:cool:

We are all here to learn, any info I get from this or other threads
is just a free bag of cookies. I one disagrees, that is a their choice..
after the first response you get a sense about whether a topic
will be "discussed' or whether it will degrade into personal
"mudslinging".
OS

ostripper said:

An elegant reply..one of the best.:cool:

We are all here to learn, any info I get from this or other threads
is just a free bag of cookies. I one disagrees, that is a their choice..
after the first response you get a sense about whether a topic
will be "discussed' or whether it will degrade into personal
"mudslinging".

So?
What do you have to share that may enrich the rest of us?

Disabled Account
Joined 2008
Joshua_G said:

What did you do?
What are you continuously doing?
What is your stand?
What is your point?
Where are you driving at?
What do you have to share that may enrich the rest of us?

Joshua
That’s your meaning, but to be honest I couldn’t care less.
I do respect John very much, and if you cared to read my posts, maybe even you would see that.
On the other hand I really don’t respect the nonsense that you are writing in most of your posts.
Stinius

stinius said:

Joshua
That’s your meaning, but to be honest I couldn’t care less.
I do respect John very much, and if you cared to read my posts, maybe even you would see that.
On the other hand I really don’t respect the nonsense that you are writing in most of your posts.

So, please stop hiding behind fables and stories and say straight forward all you may have to say.

Please have your say about anything you see as nonsense in what I write, however, please say it directly, without hiding.

Rest assured, direct addresses will be replied directly.

So, can we get at the core of the matter?

Disabled Account
Joined 2008
Joshua_G said:

So, please stop hiding behind fables and stories and say straight forward all you may have to say.

Please have your say about anything you see as nonsense in what I write, however, please say it directly, without hiding.

Rest assured, direct addresses will be replied directly.

So, can we get at the core of the matter?

So you think I'm hiding behind fables and stories?

I think I'm pretty clear.

Stinius

john curl said:

John,

You may or may not belive it, but there is nothing personal in my pretty hardcore stance against the subjectivist team. I would have exactly the same position if your name woud be prof. Lipshitz, or prof. Vanderkooy. In fact, I guess you recall the same tough stance in my position, not to long ago, against prof. Hawksford (which otherwise I deeply respect) for his "cables" article (which, coincidentally or not, is the one and only out of his work that you really seem to appreciate).

The truth is, we have almost completely opposite way of approaching audio, but at the end of the day I couldn't (and you shouldn't) care less. I'm a hobbyst (having some serious scientific background, though), you are one of the living audio legends. If you remember my original message in this thread (that somehow started all this mudslinging) I expressed my deep respect for your work 40 years ago.

Of course, calling one "ignorant as a fence pole" is never going to raise any kind of warm feelings. No hard feeling here, though.

I also really appreciate your willing to share your experience. However, mentoring is a talent and an art at the same time. Keeping an open mind, rather than a hardcore/denial position, is also a good sign of wisdom and is in fact (to my experience) very good in attracting disciples.

Unfortunately, after reading this forum for quite some years now, I have to tell that it is unlikely you will succeed in creating a JC legacy. Rather than that, you attracted around you a group of yesmen and/or ignorants, ultimately interested only in your endorsement, which in fact don't give a rat's *** on you and your experience. They are in fact using you for their more or less commercial interests and unfortunately, occasionally, your ego (which, I suppose, makes you endorse almost anybody that agrees with you) exceeds what should be your own best interest

Believe or not, it is a sad situation, and I really feel for you and the position you are in. Please don't take personal or to seriously anything that is said here, it's ultimately just a chat over the Internet

Written in a rush from a Blackberry device while also doing XMass shopping. Happy holidays!

Status
Not open for further replies.