John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier

Status
Not open for further replies.
JC1

SY said:
There's probably a lot of things you can do that I can't, either.

Anyway, here's the latest from John.

www.syclotron.com/old_2200_.jpeg

Hi Stuart,

1. No need to be so modest. :)

2. Thanks for schematic, but it's completely different. Other topology and other components, even op-amps in the direct signal path. Not JC's style. Are you sure it's a JC1? Also the 47k resistors at the input produce a fair amount of noise. JC would never do that. Has Parathingy spoiled his design?

Cheers,
Edmond.

PMA said:

No, they do not do at 80Vp, and they have high order harmonics.

Yes. Thumb wrestling for signals vs ps. Who gets the upper thumb?

For a high level nightmare scenario consider loudspeakers and passive crossovers vs amps. If you can improve that lot in a substantial way that improves not impairs sonics and fidelity, the revealed considerations can be injected into SS design via topological analysis. Or vise-versa.

PMA said:
Edmond, how do you happen to hear 0.0002% of 2H? To me is annoying to argue with pure theoreticians with lack of audio listening experience. You have your threads, where I do not annoy you. Write there what you want and let this thread to people who would like to learn from John Curl. The others can learn from you in your threads.

1. I don't give a damn whether one could hear 0.0002% of 2H. It's beside the point. It was you who started that (meaningless) distortion sim, not me and I have the right to comment on it, even when this thread is about JC's amps. If you don't like my posts just put me on your ignore list.

2. To me it's even more annoying to argue with persons who lack sufficient theoretical background.

3. Have you redone the sim at 20kHz and have you included the load of the input of the output stage? If so, what's the outcome?

Thanks SY for putting up the very first Parasound 2200 (MK1) that I did almost 20 years ago. Yes, I used the AD712 in the input. It was the very best IC op amp that I could find at the time. This version of the 2200 failed an independent reviewers listening test. (big trouble for me) I redesigned it without any op amp, using the jfet follower, in order to remove ANY IC op amp at the input or in the audio thru-path.
Sound familiar PMA? :D

SY, I don't think that they knew about the IC op amp at the input. They just listened to the unit. We, later, did the test ourselves, by bypassing the IC and things improved.
It is not MY fault! That is audio reality. I listen to the opinions of others, so that I can go forward, rather than stubbornly stay (right), with measurements and original design opinion.

SY, I don't think that they knew about the IC op amp at the input. They just listened to the unit. We, later, did the test ourselves, by bypassing the IC and things improved.

If it was the Stereophile review I read, the reviewer was very explicit that he saw the opamp in there and had serious doubts. I can't say whether it's right or wrong, I never used the amp, but there's no question that the reviewer was predisposed not to like it.

I'd use an input transformer. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.