John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi, Edmond,

You are creative :D

Back to JC's question. I saw this in Sony schematic. Diamond buffer closed in opamp's loop, like Walt Jung's line driver.

Attachments

• tan1.gif
    tan1.gif
    42 KB · Views: 584
lumanauw said:
Hi, Edmond,
You are creative :D

Thank you!

Back to JC's question. I saw this in Sony schematic. Diamond buffer closed in opamp's loop, like Walt Jung's line driver.

Hi David,

It's a better implementation of the same idea, i.e. in terms of distortion and less Johnson noise due to lower FB resistors. It's OK for me, but JC don't trust 'dirty sand' (ICs)

BTW, where are you John?

Cheers,
Edmond.

I just woke up and all kinds of good stuff has been presented. PMA, thanks (I think) for showing an up to date input stage. It should answer many questions.
Edmond, your complementary follower approach is truly original and should be added to our arsenal of quality approaches. I recommend it to anyone, including Jam.

Edmond Stuart said:

As you see, I've adopted your jfet buffer idea, but made it complementary. Now THD is ten times lower.

Hmm, I've redrawn the "Edmond buffer", see attached picture, bottom.
To me it looks like our well known complementary buffer (above) with two current sources capable of adding more output juice?

Just by simulating, I don't see much advantage for the "Edmond Buffer" even at fairly low load resistors.
But it makes offset trimming easier, as there is no need to screw around with the source resistors.

Nice idea.

Tino

Attachments

• edmond buffer.gif
    edmond buffer.gif
    5.8 KB · Views: 491
john curl said:
Edmond, your complementary follower approach is truly original and should be added to our arsenal of quality approaches. I recommend it to anyone, including Jam.

Hi John,

Thank you.
Is it a candidate for the next revision of JC1?
Original? Only partly, as the buffers are just a complementary version of your fet buffer. I think only the servo is new (AFAIK)

Cheers,
E.

Bs

zinsula said:
Hmm, I've redrawn the "Edmond buffer", see attached picture, bottom.
To me it looks like our well known complementary buffer (above) with two current sources capable of adding more output juice?

Just by simulating, I don't see much advantage for the "Edmond Buffer" even at fairly low load resistors.
But it makes offset trimming easier, as there is no need to screw around with the source resistors.

Nice idea.

Tino

Redrawn? 'Bad Science!'. You just spoiled it! That's why you don't see much advantage. Clearly, you don't understand my buffer (and your own crippled version).

zinsula said:

To me it looks like our well known complementary buffer (above) with two current sources

Exactly, I was about to post the same thing. And if the N and P JFETs are identical (as they ideally should), the current sources do precisely nothing.

I agree, the servo is very nice.

Edit: I've just noticed Edmond's message above and I have to admit I'm even more confused now. I'm waiting for an explanation.

More edit: I got it, I confused the source resistors rs1 and rs2. Now it makes sense - my fault for not looking closer.

Even more edit: Yes but rs1=rs2 so again if the N and P are identical, the whole thing doesn't make sense.

Status
Not open for further replies.