John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier

Status
Not open for further replies.
john curl said:
Very good Edmond, you get a gold star. You are only off by a factor of 2 or so, due to the amplitude loss across the fet follower, itself. Fire up the simulators gentlemen, and get me an exact value. Cap value changes are OK, as well

BTW John, I was not only 'a factor of 2 or so' wrong, rather a factor of 4. :D
BUT.... it has nothing to do with the fet followers. :tongue:
It's R39=33k (of the servo) that spoils the balance. In this case the correct value of the input series resistor is ~15k5.
Without that evil R39 and using two identical input buffers, the input series resistor should have the same value as R40, 3k83 (3k43 was a typo).

Back to the trees; is this low, or high distortion?

Attachments

• pw1bal.gif
    pw1bal.gif
    39.3 KB · Views: 432
PMA said:
Back to the trees; is this low, or high distortion?

1. Since when is CMRR not a 'tree'? Also, it's not up to you who determines whether CMRR is an unimportant issue.

2. This distortion sim of the IPS is meaningless without simulating the (non-linear?) input impedance of the OPS as well.

3. Almost every mid-fi amp scores quite well at 1kHz. So, I'm not really impressed. Besides, you should also look at worst case conditions: above 10kHz or so, where the real troubles start.

SY said:
Short memory. The JC-1 was up yesterday. John didn't actually post it (he doesn't have a way of hosting it), but he sent it to me to post. This wasn't the first one I put up for him, and there's another one coming a little bit later.

Stuart, I didn't know that. Instead, I thought that someone has reverse engineered the JC1, because the schematic came (misleadingly) from another website (yours in fact). Besides, why didn't JC drop the schematic by himself. If I can do it (see below) he can do it too.

Attachments

• jc1.png
    jc1.png
    77.1 KB · Views: 616

Do your models of the MOSFETs simulate distortion correctly?

[/B]

This is the weakest point, also for slew rate analyze. Just enough for rough estimation. I like these circuits, they have nice behaviour with low components count, elegant and clever.

Not a boost of current mirrors and CCS. Active CCS and mirrors have their dynamic behaviour, when I designed my preamp and compared, the resistor biased, highly degenerated version was the best and that one was actually produced.

PMA said:
No, they do not do at 80Vp, and they have high order harmonics.

Okay, not 80V, but you and I were talking about distortion in the first place. In the mean time, I've simmed the front-end of Self's blameless amp. As you know a very simple amp and by some considered as mid-fi.

At Vo = 41Vpk (not Vpp) and 1kHz, I get 0.5ppm (when doing it your way). Almost all 3rd harmonic. As you see, 'slightly less' than the JC1.

If I simmed it the correct way, i.e. also connect the OPS to the VAS, then I get 0.8ppm, mainly 2nd and 3rd harmonics. The 7th harm. is 8ppb. :D

I like these circuits, too. They are elegant in their simplicity.
Borbely uses this design, too. For both line and power amps.
See attachment for his Millenium power amp.

MKV-models of MOSFETs give more accurate distortion simulations, AFAIK. Not many around, though.
andy_c or syn8 made some for output MOSETEs.

Sigurd

PMA said:

This is the weakest point, also for slew rate analyze. Just enough for rough estimation. I like these circuits, they have nice behaviour with low components count, elegant and clever.

Not a boost of current mirrors and CCS. Active CCS and mirrors have their dynamic behaviour, when I designed my preamp and compared, the resistor biased, highly degenerated version was the best and that one was actually produced.

Attachments

• millennium the 75w all-fet class a mono block schematics.gif
    millennium the 75w all-fet class a mono block schematics.gif
    35.1 KB · Views: 684
PMA said:
Edmond, why do you mislead with Vp-p? I had 80Vp, i.e. 160Vp-p.

41Vpeak is here:

P.S.: this is about nothing. These parameters, in such level, are unimportant and inaudible.

1. Me, misleading? Quite the opposite I would think. I wrote Vpk, meaning the peak amplitude as you probably know and to avoid any confusion with the peak to peak value, I added 'not Vpp'. Apparently for people like you, not clear enough. I'm deeply sorry.

2. It's becoming an annoying habit of you by suddenly declaring it as 'unimportant' whenever I drop comments you dislike. Moreover, if it's really that unimportant, why you have simulated the distortion anyhow?

3. I insist that I'm not impressed by your figures, as even the blameless front end (in terms of distortion) performs better.

Status
Not open for further replies.