John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part III

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you are using ohms law to say that at a specific voltage and current the load behaves as a resistance of some value and that changes as voltage or current changes, then why are you bothering to calculate the resistance?

Who teaches anything different these days (I don't care what the wiki says)? In high school maybe to give people a basic understanding of electronics. Dan's view is what I learned the voltage and current are measurable against accepted international standards the incremental resistance is what's left. You calculate the integral of the power in the resistance because (save for radiation) that is where the energy is lost as heat or real power delivered.

You can fool old school power meters, even make them run backwards, but that's their problem not the physics.

Actually, I do have a small single layer from a double layer paper towel partially diffusing each HF driver. They hang from the top a bit in front of all but the lower 1/4th or so of each driver, and there is a thin vertical slit in the middle running up about half-way exposing a bit more of directly radiated sound. Adjusted to taste, and doesn't sound bad. With the subs, the frequency response is decent but not tweaked perfectly flat. Percussion instruments produce tight impulses and cymbals sound pretty real. Of course, it doesn't hurt that the old Bryston 4B was recently retired and replaced with an AHB2.

EDIT: They are NS-10M to be precise. Sorry if any confusion.

Last edited:
I used to use a man's (mine) sock to cover the tweeter of the Wilson WATT1 speaker. It worked just fine!

Now for time measurements: Here are three that show that the Yamaha, which is better than many, is not nearly as accurate as the Met 7 or even the Meyer.

Attachments

• Picture 3.png
    Picture 3.png
    175.3 KB · Views: 224
  • Picture 13.png
    Picture 13.png
    172.1 KB · Views: 218
  • Picture 18.png
    Picture 18.png
    244.4 KB · Views: 204
You might 'quibble' about speaker directivity, but my listening experience tells me that even overall frequency response is not nearly as important as TIME RESPONSE.
Yes !
And I believe the first designer who had the idea to time align his speakers was Mr Leon,, Founder of Elipson.
761804.jpg

More than 50 years ago.
Now, with the active filters, DSP based, we can optimize the group delay without to worry about the enclosures design.

Last edited:
Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi John,
The bottom scale isn't visible for the Meyer. You can't tell much, and the Yamaha seems to have less overhang than the Meyer does. Is the pulse at time zero? If so, the Yamaha is doing very well, not withstanding the fact that I wouldn't want them for speakers to listen to.

Just for comparison, would you have pictures that show each speaker? It would be interesting to see the beast with it's response.

-Chris

Status
Not open for further replies.