John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part II

Status
Not open for further replies.
Third, drivers are basically designed to be intelligently used by intelligent designers.
So, i will expect so flat SPL vs.frequency as possible (quality driver selection..) ,even so flat impedance curve. Compensate for dips and peaks is much more effective (and possible) and box performance will be amp DF independent. And speaker Q compensation should be made inside speaker box, not to rely on low DF of amp. This i find "intelligent".

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi John,
Look up the Revox B-242 amplifier.

Mosfet driving BJTs. Cool idea, and pretty clear as to what they were trying to do. Of course, NFB is required as the mosfets themselves suffer non-linearity. They just don't reflect that back to the Vas. Just another twist to get to the same end, imaginative though.

-Chris

Is that really even the right goal? It may also be too simplistic. Even DSP tweaked systems with textbook perfect response don't necessarily sound either "right" or "pretty". The problem is too complex.

The ear related problem, different with different persons, is really too complex :D. That's why some need output transformers with horrible frequency response, and high and non-linear output impedance supported by high, amplitude dependent distortion, that masks speaker distortion and heavily modifies frequency response. Many people just do not want perfect responses (of any kind). But almost no one is willing to admit this fact :cool:

PMA, I have never found that added distortion was a good thing. However, I have heard sound systems that have significant measured distortion that sound pretty good, in spite of the measurements. There is a significant difference between your opinion and mine. Yet others here don't believe that most of the differences that you and I care about, really exist. How about that?

John,

Unfortunately, I cannot get a free schematic for the Revox B-242 amplifier. What does it have that is 'special' about it?
:cop: link removed due to potential copyright violation :cop:

You may have to look a little for the download link.

There is not much special, it is pretty bog standard these days.

Fully Rail symmetrical cascoded frontend with some serious degenration, buffered and cascoded VAS with some significant degeneration, if i see right Hawksford Error Correction and multiple layers of VAS Buffering. The choice of the Driver V-Fets strikes me as subideal, three parallel pairs of BJT's as outputs.

Ciao T

Last edited by a moderator:
John,

Thorsten, it DOES have mosfet drive, however. This may be the first example of using this technique.

I do not know the date of this unit, however in the 1980's German PA Equipment Maker Zeck promoted their "BiMos" Amplifiers as being superior to classic Bipolar Amplifiers, like the Peavey CS800/1200 Series which had some real grunt in the bass but sounded edgy in Mid and treble and the then heavily promoted Mosfet Output Amp's, which sounded "foggy" in upper mid and treble applications and invariably failed completely to drive Bass cabinets well (not enough mosfet pairs, insuffcient lack of drivers for the Mosfets).

Zeck's "BiMos" used the small Hitachi Drivers and the usual banks of Bipolar Transistors. They did sound at the time considerably better than the alternatives (in PA Applications).

Ciao T

So, i will expect so flat SPL vs.frequency as possible (quality driver selection..) ,even so flat impedance curve. Compensate for dips and peaks is much more effective (and possible) and box performance will be amp DF independent. And speaker Q compensation should be made inside speaker box, not to rely on low DF of amp. This i find "intelligent".

A perfect piston will have a rising response at 6 db per octave.

.... which perfectly equalizes -6db/okt decay above the critical frequency. That's the secret of the electrodynamic speaker. The radiation with angle and membrane imperfections start to play its role then.

Actually in most of the drivers I play with, the "Mass Break" comes into play first and gives that nice level line of the frequency response graph that many mistake for a good thing!

(Mass Break is not time out for a religious service! :) )

Last night I realized that for my current DSP project if I change the order of the processes I can reduce the work by 75%! So I have quite a project for today!

Status
Not open for further replies.