John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part II

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ikoflexer, IMO your circuit example analysis has been very interesting, though probably in the wrong place.

I doubt repeating simple and well known facts, like different transient behaviour of simple follower vs. LDOs, e.g., would bring anything interesting here.

Also, restriction to repeating of simple well known trues does not bring any new SOTA information.

First, PMA, I am attempting to make clear several simple approaches to making linear voltage regulators, that might have been neglected on other threads, discussing the same topic. I have found these simple regulators very useful on dozens of designs, and I have found that they often behave even better than more complex voltage regulators.
On this thread, I have noted that some people can't immediately discern between a mosfet or a bipolar transistor in the use as a series pass regulator, and I have to try to explain. Other people, including you, PMA, then tend to give me 'what we call the "raspberry" because I am too slow and careful not to go too fast. I am not offering intellectual 'challenge' but real solutions to everyday audio power supply problems. For 'challenge', just look at the other threads.
Ikoflexer, you were OK in putting up your power supply circuit. However, I just can't analyze it for you, by inspection. Perhaps, others can. Have you tried the 'other' power supply thread?

iko

Ex-Moderator
Joined 2008
John, no, please! It was never my intention to have the circuit analyzed by you or somebody else. It was not my intention to have it fixed either. IMHO, the circuit is pretty darn promising.

You probably forgot how it is to be a new at something? When you're new and come across someone with vast experience, it's tempting to say "hey, look, I got this circuit, it looks good to me, but what do you say, wise man with lots of experience?" That's where I was coming from. You've shared from your experience before (sometimes).

In part one of this thread (I'm at page two hundred something) several people were asking you questions and posted circuits, and simulations. And you gave an opinion. Well, you've done it, and still do it when you're in the mood. I also understand if you don't feel like it. I don't like pushing things on people. Wrong place, wrong time. I get it.

In part one you said clearly that the BT preamp is very sensitive to the quality of the power supply, so you developed an excellent PSU for it. This happens to be on my liking: get the best psu you can build. Then perhaps the amp/preamp can be built cleaner and simpler.

So I simply posted an example of my latest effort about this regulator. I intend to make good, better. Perhaps this is old news to you and PMA, and syn08, and you all more experienced people. Hey, that's ok, I'll take my toys and go to another sandbox, as you suggest. Sorry to waste you time folks.

Ikoflexer, I can only discuss properly, what I can easily understand. I just don't have the experience with your circuit to give you any advice. In my personal opinion, it is too complex, but that is only my first impression. I am not trying to ignore or criticize new designs or designers, without really understanding what you have done. I just don't have the insight or even the 'sight' to analyze it properly. I am trying to be helpful, but I certainly don't want to be unnecessarily critical.

Can this preamp be built?

This thread is really, really, really, really, really, really, :censored: long! But have has there ever been a construction request for a schematic of this preamp? Can this preamp be built as a budget project?....... Yes without the solid aluminum chassis. :D

If this question has all ready been asked some where in the 2222 pages or so of this thread pleas lead me to it, from the bit that I have read this sounds like it would make for an interesting project. ;)

For newcomers, let me explain what Wavebourn is referring to. IF this circuit was put in a draft of wind, it might have added, extra noise from intermittent heating and cooling of the active devices. However, the BLOWTORCH preamp was virtually completely sealed from drafts, and the heat generating devices were all heat sinked to the thick aluminum chassis. Therefore, after initial warm-up, there is little temperature differential. Wavebourn is simply describing an unfortunate situation where someone might NOT want to put the circuits in a proper enclosure or who might want to cool the assembly with a blower fan.

This thread is really, really, really, really, really, really, :censored: long! But have has there ever been a construction request for a schematic of this preamp? Can this preamp be built as a budget project?....... Yes without the solid aluminum chassis. :D

If this question has all ready been asked some where in the 2222 pages or so of this thread pleas lead me to it, from the bit that I have read this sounds like it would make for an interesting project. ;)

The question was asked many times, too many times. The original schematic was never published, only various emulations of it. Also, most of the active parts used are obsolete.

Status
Not open for further replies.