John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part II

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am simply saying that a SUBTRACTIVE DIFFERENTIAL TEST will show DA as much as any nonlinear distortion and will have difficulty getting a null, no matter what the amp's quality is, IF it has a typical electrolytic or Mylar input coupling cap.
If we couldn't null it out with a simple cap difference test, how are we going to null it out with an entire amplifier, unless we make the simpler to handle? But then it is not truly representative of music, anymore, is it?

IF people would only read our paper, you would find out how to measure a cap (optimally) to show DA. Sine wave analysis will show ONLY very minor phase shift.
Mr. Curl, I measured "distortion" caused by coupling capcitor, not DA. And if is her no voltage across capacitor, then here can by no DA, first must capacitor be charged to some voltage.
You claimed, capacitors caused distortion (at levels about -60dB.) what is prooved (by correct aplication) untrue, valid only if it is alowed to develop some voltage across cap (e. g HP or LP filtering aplications..). BTW, i read Your paper, time ago, and many others papers ,too.(I am 59, and making amps about 30years..)

John, you're right; if the goal of the test is to measure DA, your test is more appropriate. If the goal is to find out if a cap will cause distortion when used for coupling, BV's test is more appropriate. I would probably want the measurement repeated at very low frequencies to see if the cap causes bass distortion when the voltages across it are greater. If I can get time tonight, I'll show the same sort of measurement at several different frequencies.

BV's test is more appropriate for masking cap's imperfections.
My logic is the following. Interstage caps are VERY listenable, one can state this even with mid-fi system. Various caps affects sound to various degree.
If BV's test show very low distortions for any cap, this approach helps nothing in selection of better sounding cap by measurements.
If another method is much more sensitive to cap's distortions, and allows to distinguish various caps more reliably, we need just this method for design purposes.
If specific measurement setup, even that not resembling audio system, would allow to measure differences induced by various power supplies or PCB design, we need just such a setup, if usual spectrum analyser does not allow to distinguish the effects mentioned.

Testing distortion doesn't mask cap imperfections for the intended use. The cap distorts or it doesn't.

How about actual listening tests (ears alone)? I've tried that, but apparently not many others have.

VERY strong effect of a cap in the signal chain is so obvious and so familiar even for beginners, that I do not see what do you mean.
In all my recent designs, I use SE topology, with an output cap. So, I tested many types of lytics, of film shunts and their possible combinations, and could discuss multitude of measurents and listenable effects. For preliminary sorting of caps, it is not needed to measure harmonics, enough to measure angle of dielectric losses at 10-20kHz. That says quite a lot. Acceptable values of capacitances of electrolytics, and final combination with shunts, up to now is a matter of empirical findings. Measurements of frequency dependencies of impedances do not help a lot.
I would not use cap measurement approach, that does not correlate with listening. Any strange method, that would correlate with listening, will fit the purpose.
I hope, nowdays nobody takes it in serious, that any measurements in audio must be based on spectral analyses.
A problem must be analysed from various angles, if it allows to solve it. If only INTENDED USE SETUP helps to solve nothing, why should we give support to it? We can get into discussion again and again, and the main point, again, will be, that of interest is not the whole basket of distortions, but only those, most sensed by hearing. If they are masked by orders of magnitude larger harmonics distortion signal, it is not a proof, that they are absent.

Last edited:
Care to share test setup and results from a ears-only listening test?

Just change the cap (input, NFB, output) and listen the difference. The difference is so huge, that I see no need in more sophisticated test setups. Compare a lytic alone, and film polyprop alone. Any unexperienced listener states a big difference in sound. And this is so, irrelevant of what harmonics measurements show. Usually the last say nothing interesting, since important effects are masked by unimportant harmonics.

OK, so the answer is, no, you haven't actually done a listening test.

You mean some method. But if, as a final result, it states that all caps sounds similar, all the pages, containing its description, better to be used in a way, other than reading them.
If we can not see bacteria via simple glass, it does not mean that bacteria does not exist. Invent a microscope, and it will be found. But no, somebody will insist, that simple glass is THE INTENDED USE approach, and microscope is forbidden. Hence, bacteria does not exist, in spite that people get ill and find it related to bacteria.

Last edited:
Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Care to give a two or three line summary?
Sure.

I was testing if a difference could be heard by changing the input cap of a Tripath amp. The Tripath needs a DC blocking cap because the inputs have a 2.5V bias. All caps were 2.2uF if possible, or 2uF if not.

I tested a least a dozen from boutique to ordinary, electrolytic to film to film in oil. Some sounded very different, some not much. My favorite were the Obbligato oil for mids, Obbligato film overall and Jantzen crosscap because it was very similar to the Obbligatos but much smaller. Some of the film caps weren't so great.

This was a specific test in a specific application. I kept notes. I picked what I liked on music. Testing was done over headphones.

VERY strong effect of a cap in the signal chain is so obvious and so familiar even for beginners, that I do not see what do you mean.
If you do diferential test (substraction) with two caps , with music signal with all transients and asymetry in signal, and audible results for your ears is ..nothing,silent, zero, and you at same time claim, you clear hear (with the same ears), diference between the those two caps, conected e. g as input capacitor in the same amp, what do you mean about it? Here is not black magic, or yes?

Last edited:
2Pano
Can You post here simplified circuit, how was this cap conected?
BTW, tripath is PWM amp, and You are talking about DC blocking, so no coupling cap in signal chain. And in Tripath amps, input coupling capacitor is part of HPF with corner freq. about 10Hz and more, so here is AC voltage across this cap, and so distortions too, depending cap type.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.