John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part II

Status
Not open for further replies.
www.hifisonix.com
Joined 2003
Paid Member
I think that the LM318, while fast for its time, was not a good sounding IC, in general. That is why we avoided it, I'm pretty sure. The 5534 came about late 1976, just at the time Matti gave our paper in NY at the AES. I was given samples then, and evaluated them in a close A-B with one of my discrete modules and found them slightly wanting. Still, for most here, a 5534 should be good enough, perhaps audibly better than the LM318. The TLO-72 also came out about then and was tolerably good as well.

Use the AD797 - also tolerably good. Unfortunately, the distortion is quite high at 1ppm at 20 kHz into 600 Ohms and the slew rate at ~20V/us is bit slow, but for line level it should pass.

Disabled Account
Joined 2012
Richard, I think that you have answered the reason why Sheffield released a recording that CONSISTENTLY overloaded (my reference mis-tracking track that I used for testing, and did not notice it. It probably tracked OK with the better Shure cartridges.

One of the later reviews of the V15 also touted its tracking ability. Shure used to have a technical paper on the subject. Some magazines used to test for tractability and report the results vs pressure setting.

Shure V15 Phono Cartridge Reviewed

It can be said that a lot of the LP listening included tracing and tracking errors and attendant distortion. Fortunately, typical vel or average levels were not too high and many cartridges could handle those LP OK. Recording levels and compression and low bass cut all helped the phono cartridge stay in contact. Only when a recording - like an Audiophile recording... pure... or even direct to disk.... then the poor tracking ability of cartridges was most apparent. The V15 could take just about anything thrown at it. It also had fairly flat freq response and very good (for LP) channel separation vs freq.

RIP.

THx-RNMarsh

Last edited:
The AD797 sounds OK, I tried it in my Parasound JC-3, before finding a cheaper alternative, that sounded just as good.
However, for a line amp I would use the AD825, because it has a jfet input, and this is important, because I would use a 50K pot in front of it, and it has a much greater OPEN LOOP BANDWIDTH. Yes, it would have somewhat more harmonic or IM distortion, so what? It might have less PIM than the AD797. That is a fairly safe bet.

Last edited:
Disabled Account
Joined 2012
Yeah 2004. When Be became a problem to use they couldn't be bothered to retool for anything else.

Just goes to show how long I have been away from LP based systems. 2004 ! wow. After the Shure, I went to try MC type (Denon) and tried my hand at a MC pre-pre and ended there.

and without a suitable replacement or other brand as good or better in tracking than the V15..... LP slips further away from Hi-End.

-RM

Last edited:
Disabled Account
Joined 2012
I just figured from Forbes that the higher the degree you have, the harder it is to make a lot of money. Kind of an inverse relationship with institutional learning and earning.

We all know about Zuckerberg and Gates and several others with no degree at all. 29.9% of the world billionaires have no degree at all. That varies, in 2016 it was 35%. Thats 739 billionaires out of a total of 2,473. Of the Fortune 500 companies CEO, 30% have just a bachelors degree. Only 43% earned an MBA.

just sayin.... .

THx-RNMarsh

Last edited:
I just figured from Forbes that the higher the degree you have, the harder it is to make a lot of money. Kind of an inverse relationship with institutional learning and earning.

Maybe we need to look at those correlation of A to B graphs again. Holding billionaires as a reference of "a lot of money" is silly the sample size is ridiculously low. I don't know how Forbes formed their survey but unless it digs deep into the workforce it's just more fluff. Can you do Danke Schön with true spirit? Las Vegas is waiting.

Last edited:

We all know about Zuckerberg and Gates and several others with no degree at all. 29.9% of the world billionaires have no degree at all. That varies, in 2016 it was 35%. Thats 739 billionaires out of a total of 2,473. Of the Fortune 500 companies CEO, 30% have just a bachelors degree. Only 43% earned an MBA.

just sayin.... .

THx-RNMarsh

Then again we could look at the folks who live under a bridge or similar. A few will have college degrees, most will not.

Next time I help out at a homeless shelter I'll try and see what proportion did not finish high school. (Do know of a PHD who ended up poorly, mental illness was a part of his problems.)

But I have on occasion refered problems to PHDs for their area of expertise. Fees were on par with normal professional engineers. (For those not familiar with P.E.s they are usually B.S. Holders who have passed an exam and are liscensed by the states to do designs and reviews of life safety critical issues. Things like building structures, bridges, fire evacuation systems etc. In spite of that the original build of the Cincinnati stadium all the large entrance/exit gates opened in!)

In my world, audio hi end, I find fairly bright people with great sales personalities to have made the most money. They usually have great promotional drive and are ruthless with the competition or even their own employees. I have contributed to their success, along with Richard Marsh, Demian Martin, and perhaps several others here. Demian in fact still works with one.

In my world, audio hi end, I find fairly bright people with great sales personalities to have made the most money. They usually have great promotional drive and are ruthless with the competition or even their own employees. I have contributed to their success, along with Richard Marsh, Demian Martin, and perhaps several others here. Demian in fact still works with one.

So I just need to be more of a total dick to launch myself forward?

Joined 2014
Paid Member
I figured out by about 15 that the richest people generally didn't even complete high school and started earning money instead. Richard Branson being a prime example.

Now we know with both gates and zuck they got into top universities but dropped out to persue their companies. Both in fact at Harvard. They were both very clever and very driven, and very lucky. Very very lucky.

Status
Not open for further replies.