John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part II

Status
Not open for further replies.
Disabled Account
Joined 2012
Guys,

Not to embarrass the guilty, but I just went through two different Pro Audio manufacturer's service schematics. Not a 741 to be found, but LM324s, LM301s and other oldies.

Now the really bad comparator types are mostly used for turning on or off LEDS. There was one Pro product where red was good and yellow was bad!

Now getting to oldies, the TL072 is still in widespread audio use. http://www.jblproservice.com/pdf/EON-G2 Series/EON_MusicMix_14_Schematics.pdf

Another manufacturer produces a similar product with LM1558s!

I think the only reason 741s are not being used in these products is that it is a single and the dual units are more cost effective.

As to old and obsolete, can we talk about thermionic amplifiers?

IIRC the Crown IC150 used a 301 for line stage. The TL072 is still very popular. The 741 could be had in dual --- 747.

-RNM

Since 1970, I have used the Harris Associates HA911 for most of my IC based designs. That is a long time ago, 47 years. However, the uA741 was popular with some board manufacturers, one analog tape recorder manufacturer (3M,I think) etc, etc.
However, I even had problems with a superior (expensive) IC that was about 10 times faster than the uA741, when I tried to replace tubes with it. That is WHY I kept going and built high open loop bandwidth discrete audio amps. All Class A, all topologically balanced, very fast. I got famous from making these designs, and I have never looked back.

I had lunch with Jack Bybee today. We met at the Calif Audio Show here in Oakland. The show was very small, but I met several interesting people and got some good software to try on my playback system.
I have come to the conclusion that Jack Bybee is just too advanced in his methods for people to understand and accept them. It is either try, and possibly like, or to ignore them. There is no complete understanding of what his stuff does. I give up trying.

I think that the LM318, while fast for its time, was not a good sounding IC, in general. That is why we avoided it, I'm pretty sure. The 5534 came about late 1976, just at the time Matti gave our paper in NY at the AES. I was given samples then, and evaluated them in a close A-B with one of my discrete modules and found them slightly wanting. Still, for most here, a 5534 should be good enough, perhaps audibly better than the LM318. The TLO-72 also came out about then and was tolerably good as well.

Even back in the early 1970's, we thought that MC cartridges sounded better than any Shure phono cartridge. At first, the only alternative was Ortofon, but then the Japanese MC like the Supex was introduced and we never went back. For the record, the Vendetta Research SCP-2 will ONLY work with an MC cartridge.

For those who don't understand my input, the mis-tracking artifact that I measured in 1978, still stands as 'reasonable worst case' caused by mis-tracking an MC phono cartridge. Of course, IC op amps have improved over the last 40 years, at least I would hope so, but still, with mid-fi equipment, 741 like op amps are often used, even today.
Many vinyl mastering engineers ,like Doug Sax and Steve Hoffman use Shure V-15 and Stanton 881 MM cartridges to compare test cut to master tape since they find them more accurate and neutral than MC.They have the best source to compare. I use both, but sometimes i find MC sound has some pleasant coloration. Some author described it like technicolor type of coloration.

As the joke goes I hammer like lightning, rarely strike twice in the same place.

Earlier this morning I was knocking out the plastic pegs we put in the steel tubing we use for speaker cluster frames. The pegs keep the bolt holes clear and closed when we fill the tubing with foam.

Tubing by itself rings at frequencies nicely in the audio band. If you sweep the frequencies or use pink noise, it barely shows up as an issue and some folks may even adjust the equalization to correct any aberrations they see.

However if you do a waterfall plot and look at decay times, you will see interesting things.

Moral of the story is you get what you measure.

Now I have been doing this for quite some time, does that make the technique obsolete?

Or do I have a smashed thumb in pursuit of better sound?

Last edited:
Well is the TL072 actually that bad for general audio duty? Pavel has shown that, used correctly it has its place. And there are places it should not go :)

Bill,

Pavel used it at a gain of one. Folks were clearly able to pick it out. Yes it was preferred, but a reasonable conclusion even with the small sample is that there is a difference.

Using it in circuits where gain required might just increase that difference.

ES

Use modern opamps made by ST Microelectronics, such as the TSH110 or TS972. Excellent performance and nobody in the audiophile universe has ever heard of them. Better still they are SMD, so monkeying around doing "opamp rolling" is a couple notches more difficult.

But these are 10-12V max parts, very few circuits discussed here operate on low voltages. The TSH110 is a CFA spec'd for video/xDSL, high Ib and Ib noise, I don't see particularly good audio performance.

+1 Bill, folks seem to take away whatever they want from PMA's test.

Disabled Account
Joined 2012
Many vinyl mastering engineers ,like Doug Sax and Steve Hoffman use Shure V-15 and Stanton 881 MM cartridges to compare test cut to master tape since they find them more accurate and neutral than MC.They have the best source to compare. I use both, but sometimes i find MC sound has some pleasant coloration. Some author described it like technicolor type of coloration.

the V15 is one of a few (MM or MC) which can handle the max cutting vel and thus is excellent tracking and minimal mistracking.

However, I just noticed that the V15 is no longer being made/sold by Shure . Not enough sales.... A real lose to high quality LP listening IMO... but the lower performance and lower cost models are still being sold... to D-Jays?

There are still some new V15 V on ebay et al .... get spare stylus and cart before they are all used up.

THx-RNMarsh

Last edited:
Disabled Account
Joined 2010
Use modern opamps made by ST Microelectronics, such as the TSH110 or TS972. Excellent performance and nobody in the audiophile universe has ever heard of them. Better still they are SMD, so monkeying around doing "opamp rolling" is a couple notches more difficult.

These are video OPAs. Supply voltage <14V. En = 3nV/sqrt(Hz) @1Mhz!
Why do you think these guy are suitable for audio?

Last edited:
But these are 10-12V max parts, very few circuits discussed here operate on low voltages. The TSH110 is a CFA spec'd for video/xDSL, high Ib and Ib noise, I don't see particularly good audio performance.

+1 Bill, folks seem to take away whatever they want from PMA's test.

True -- the latter would work pretty okay as a buffer in a composite loop though, especially in IV/line level/headphone, where even the beefiest of DACs is outputting ~2 VRMS (and most home amplifier's input sensitivities are WAY TOO HIGH). But pretty small application space and definitely NOT phono.

As for the latter part, yes, it's a total crapshoot.

I think that the LM318, while fast for its time, was not a good sounding IC, in general. That is why we avoided it, I'm pretty sure. The 5534 came about late 1976, just at the time Matti gave our paper in NY at the AES. I was given samples then, and evaluated them in a close A-B with one of my discrete modules and found them slightly wanting. Still, for most here, a 5534 should be good enough, perhaps audibly better than the LM318. The TLO-72 also came out about then and was tolerably good as well.

There's at least half a dozen projects on DIYaudio that make the LM318 look like the turd it is on paper. And that's before listening to confirm.

Status
Not open for further replies.