John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part II

Status
Not open for further replies.
I remarked, when I saw the new space a client is leasing that it would be a good place to practice, maybe even rehearse a big band. But I would get permission first.

Ed, what does your liability insurance say about something like your current situation?

Brad,

You are an all bases covered kind of guy. Have to check. Pennsylvania is not a employer provides workman's compensation insurance and folks have to have disability insurance for off work time as some states require.

But as the SPL is hitting 70 dBa SPL in the office and the wall between us is a 40 dB wall! Too loud for me to enter without hearing protection. Of course we have it, but stored in the shop!

EDIT Apparently it is covered under the "Office Party" and such coverage.

Last edited:
diyAudio Member RIP
Joined 2005
EDIT Apparently it is covered under the "Office Party" and such coverage.
Ah good. I don't like to worry about such things, but they are a fact of modern life.

More and more of my clients are fretting, wanting workman's comp and liability insurance from me with them named as co-beneficiaries. I turned one guy down who wanted to get me on board as a consultant at his new employer when they wanted too much---I just said it wasn't worth it. And I am a one-man band, no employees, no subcontractors billing through me. Twenty-two years of doing nothing but that, but somehow they need proof that I am actually a consultant, and won't come back and sue for half of self-employment tax and so forth.

Recently I have seen a TV show with this happening in restaurants.
A crew install hidden cameras and the boss can view the goings on, and then barge in.
You would get paid by the TV show, and if the band are good enough you could hook them into a recording/appearances contract.
Worst case is you nail them for practice space rental charges......whats the going rate ?.
It's all win win.

Dan.

The crippled C++ that the Arduino compiler promotes is IMO anything you want but educational. To quote Linus Torvalds, "if you think your users are idiots, only idiots will use it".

The Atmel Studio is decent for the price (zero). Can be used to program the Atmel based Arduinos without any problems, but also the Atmel ARM Cortex A4 boards.

Thank you , this might reduce latancy on any of my amtel uPC's.
I agree, the arduino library is dumbed down. Another member reduced
some of my arduino code from 2K to 880bytes. Timing was X4.

The present 1-5 second inrush settings are usable with the arduino code ,
logging/current/DC would be better with a "short and sweet" loop.
I plan to integrate my analog designs with some of the present "21'st
century" protection designs. I must create my own code/script to be
"unique" in the control side of a final design.

OS

www.hifisonix.com
Joined 2003
Paid Member
I agree - the Arduino compiler is sh1te.

My biggest gripe however is the lack of interrupts. I've grown accustomed to having them on just about any pin I want. Writing code is much easier as well. I wrote some code for ambient light compensation for a backlit LCD that used a look-up table. One of my Japanese colleagues at the time told me 'no Andrew-san - this is 32 bit. Just put a formula in - no need for 8 bit software' which I duly did (y=mx+c type thing). LOL

www.hifisonix.com
Joined 2003
Paid Member
John, micro controllers are a fact of life today . . . even in audio.

A well rounded analog engineer will be quite at home doing the advanced analog stuff, but well able to get things done in the programing and digital hardware design uC domain when required.

Surely we can't just talk about JFET input cascoded 2nd stage amplifiers for 6 straight years now can we?

;

more l8tr

Surely we can't just talk about JFET input cascoded 2nd stage amplifiers for 6 straight years now can we?

Or:

- GNFB sucks. The more, the worse.
- M. Ottala was right, Long live large open loop bandwidth.
- Three legs good, eight legs bad.
- Quantum principles in Bybee devices, from a Feynman assistant perspective.
- Cryo treatment of copper wiring.
- I hear what I can't measure and I don't hear what I can measure.
- In fact, I hear what I hear, I am a famous designer, so I can afford to peek.
- Jfet hand matching, the secret sauce of exquisite products, well regarded by reviewers.
- Mains and speaker wiring audibility, you are all stone deaf.
- What we did 40 years ago.
- Peugeot vs. Porsche, two buck chuck vs. Chateau Lafite.
- Famous audio designers are open minded. First Principles are for weak scientists only.
- Capacitors suck, in particular ceramics. All of them.
- Resistors suck. Only Holcro and Dale should be allowed for audio applications.
- Ferrites suck.
- Double blind testing is for the infidels only.
- CDs suck, long live vinyl and FM radio. We'll let SACD live for the moment.

You fill in the rest.

I am not a 'well-rounded' or 'mediocre' analog engineer. I am a world famous, and successful analog engineer, who mostly sticks with and keeps up with the world of analog. Many here do not work in the analog world (anymore at least) and many don't even work in digital reproduction of music. We hire other engineers, much like yourselves, for 'housekeeping' circuits like microprocessors, etc when necessary, but don't pretend that this extra stuff helps make higher audio quality, just convenience. These people that we hire, do not bother with this website, so why do the rest of you bother?
The problem is knowing the difference between audio quality and user convenience. Of course, many here are of the belief that the human ear is easily satisfied by a few specs, and the rest is imagination, but I do not find it so, myself, even into my old age. This is why I am always impressed by any new insight (usually a link) put up here on audio quality or innovative design. However, 'shop talk' about digital projects outside of audio design is kind of a waste of time on me at least, and of course, there are other threads where this might be useful. Why not contribute there, instead?

Seems like from some conversations I've read that current surface mount dual devices take care of a lot of the matching requirements that are part and parcel to using the old Jfet devices that are getting harder to find by the day. Why would any analog designer today want to ignore those? It just seems like at some point you will not be able to do that and I imagine that is coming soon, not being able to produce your products in any real quantities. I'm not just talking ones and twos but today a Parasound amp that you couldn't produce a few thousand of would seem to be ridiculous to design. What are you going to do John when you can no longer use your favorite parts, just retire and say audio is dead?

Yesterday, I bought my LAST piece of analog equipment. It is a Sound Technology 1500A analog tape recorder tester. Heck of a bargain, and almost easy to use. Certainly easier than the SR-1 that I have next to me. For the record, the SR-1 could do just about everything the 1500 could do, BUT at least with 10 times greater effort. Sometimes analog is BETTER than digital, in test equipment.

Seems like from some conversations I've read that current surface mount dual devices take care of a lot of the matching requirements that are part and parcel to using the old Jfet devices that are getting harder to find by the day. Why would any analog designer today want to ignore those?

Because I have a big stash of the old ones, my younger competitors born in the digital age don't, so I can claim a competitive advantage.

Status
Not open for further replies.