John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part II

Status
Not open for further replies.
The question is if such a digital bias schema is really required. I am pretty confident it won't have a iota of audible impact over any decent designed switching or non switching bias, while the sighted review chimps will only be appalled by this digital intrusion. So no, it could be just another technical challenge of the "because I can" type.

Right, I agree with the cool stuff you could do with nonlinear bias, but it does seem like it'd be done for the novelty/intellectual exercise than for making an audibly better amp (or even simply a more reliable ops). For that kind of controls effort, a hypex challenger would draw a better yield.

Edit to add: no, that wasn't an application I was contemplating, either. Credit where credit is due.

Last edited:
You did not follow the link. This arduino will run 100X faster. It's not a 32mhz
amtel , but a full DDR3/PCI-E 400mhz uPC.

This one's NOT a toy.

OS

Yes, it would probably do the job, but 50 quid a pop is rather steep. I'll take a raspberry running Linux at 20 quid any day over this overpriced device.

Mind you, this is not an arduino, but the Intel dev. board rev. 2 rebranded.

"MUSIC, formerly known as Music Group, a holding company encompassing Behringer, Midas, Klark Teknik and, most recently, the TC Group portfolio of pro audio brands, has announced its proposal to dismiss around 70 staff members at its manufacturing and office facility in Coatbridge, Scotland. In this event, the facility’s Tannoy loudspeaker production efforts will be transferred to MUSIC’s new manufacturing plant in Zhongshan, China; research and development as well as marketing activities will be relocated to MUSIC’s Manchester, UK offices. Approximately one year ago, Music Group acquired TC Electronic, TC-Helicon, TC Applied Technologies, Tannoy, Lab Gruppen and Lake, which comprised the TC Group. Tannoy has been based in Coatbridge for over 35 years. "

I doubt there's any kind of a redundancy... They're just trying to say "we're not pricks" as they act just as thus...

Sadly Tannoy will probably go down the shitter after this because it'll go from being one of Evil Uli's autonomous money generators to another entity under his punitively run abysmal hells.

www.hifisonix.com
Joined 2003
Paid Member
Arduino IS a toy, always was. Just a very useful toy when you want something easy to program for a little home project.

I got one to take a look at. Pinout is great (all the ports are grouped together, unlike some controllers) but . . . only two interrupts! You've got a pattern recognition interrupt but that's hardly a replacement for interrupts on (almost) every pin that you get with a typical ARM device. I'll be sticking to ARM controllers. I think Arduino is ok for basic control applications like turning lights on and off, looking at switches, polling inputs etc.

For those of you looking for a decent and powerful dev platform, take a look at mbed.org

www.hifisonix.com
Joined 2003
Paid Member
Joined 2016
Paid Member
Apropos nothing of present conversation: the Google doodle for April 30th is Claude Shannon, who's theorems people are still trying to violate to no success. :)

He would have been 100 today.

Blimey.. Time flies. I remember learning that stuff in the 70s... Then writing some of the first high speed dsp modem code in the 80s, essential maths!

Last edited:
Disabled Account
Joined 2012
JC ---

I'm going thru an old file cabinet of saved stuff..... on a yellow note pad I have written these notes:

The auditory sensitivity to harmoics goes up by almost the cubed (actually 2.7) of the harmonic number. IE. 3rd harmonic is 3^3 (or 3^2.7) or 27 times more sensitivity than to fundemental. 11th harmonic is 100 times or 40db more easily heard than 2nd harmonic. This is about 16.2db per octave rise in sensitivity from 2nd to infin n of harmonic (weighting).

IEEE (1986) transactions on Instrumentation and Measurment Vol IM-35, No 2, June 1986 by Hong Yue Lin

[where Fo is <10KHz re 90db spl pure single tone]

-RNM

Last edited:
[where Fo is <10KHz re 90db spl pure single tone]

but why not read, reference actual Psychoacoustics textbook Masking info (where you would see by 90 dB SPL upward frequency masking is strong, doesn't fall to the threshold in quiet)

plus on the EE side it really says nothing actionable - merely competent, acceptable audio circuits don't generate 11th harmonic above noise floors

Last edited:
Disabled Account
Joined 2012
Dont build a straw man out of this..... No one is talking about 11th. just an example of sensitivity using the formula. Apply to 2,3,4, 5th harmonic, as you like.

There may or may not be masking. Depends on freqs./levels. Another subject.

And there is the sensitivity to the harmonics of the acoustic output as well to consider (loudspeakers) besides electronic circuits.

-RNM

Last edited:
I got one to take a look at. Pinout is great (all the ports are grouped together, unlike some controllers) but . . . only two interrupts! You've got a pattern recognition interrupt but that's hardly a replacement for interrupts on (almost) every pin that you get with a typical ARM device. I'll be sticking to ARM controllers. I think Arduino is ok for basic control applications like turning lights on and off, looking at switches, polling inputs etc.

For those of you looking for a decent and powerful dev platform, take a look at mbed.org

Arduino environment is really great for elementary/middle/high school (sorry, I don't know the equivalent terminology in other countries) students to get their feet wet and excited about cool things you can do with computers. Definitely not the fanciest of hardware, but very good within its educational domain.

(Not that I saw you as complaining)

Status
Not open for further replies.