John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part II

Status
Not open for further replies.
Joined 2002
Paid Member
If music is forcing heavy bass, midrange, and highs, The resultant load will be the paralleling of the three drivers. If you see 8 ohms bass, 8 ohms mid, 8 ohms high simultaneously, the amp will see a load less than 3 ohms.

Unfortunately, it makes sense John :D
What excitation signal would you suggest for measuring it ?

When the amplifier is trying to brake the system, the math changes.

And for this? (Ed’s wind is one option) :)

George

Ed, that is in line with my reasoning. A considerable outside force on the cone is required to, dynamically, lower the impedance of a driver to below it's Rdc.

John, this is exactly what I argued, you need movement in the opposite direction of where the amp wants to steer it for the impedance of a driver to dive below Rdc. You call it 'when the amplifier is trying to brake the system', which is the same as what I argued: the movement of the driver needs to be in anti-phase with the signal for this situation to happen. Where we differ is in that in my view this situation cannot occur in real life without exerting an external force on the cone.

The reason some loudspeakers have freakish impedance curves approaching the x-axis is inept crossover design, not back EMF.

Unfortunately, it makes sense John :D
What excitation signal would you suggest for measuring it ?

I'd go with three frequencies simultaneously which show as worst case independently.

And for this? (Ed’s wind is one option) :)

George

I'd frequency sweep a sinx/x pulse to determine worst case. Using that waveform, I'd plot the V/I response to the system.

If it's resonant or underdamped, the amp will be called upon to quash the movement.

Quash being of course, a technical term...;)

As to quashing Ed's "wind", perhaps diet?? :eek:

John

Ya gotta love that low hanging fruit...:D

Where we differ is in that in my view this situation cannot occur in real life without exerting an external force on the cone.

We are discussing a mechanical system which converts electrical energy to acoustic. While the conversion efficiency to the acoustic impedance of the external world may be in the 1 to 2% realm that is not the true conversion efficiency of the voice coil mechanism. The voice coil and amplifier do indeed see the acoustic mass of the enclosure, as well as any storage mechanism/resonant system of the enclosure design, reflex or bandpass.

As such, the air mass coupled to the cone can provide tremendous forces on the cone.

John

Yes Vaccy,

You did get the mechanism correct. But your experience is geared to what you do. That is why I mentioned this is one of the areas where I bet with other loudspeaker designers. So I am an evil cuss...

A fair number of times folks have gotten into trouble ignoring the funny things that happen. I do have to explain to amplifier manufacturers that two 8 ohm loudspeakers can present a 2 ohm load to an audio power amplifier. (JN we don't use passive crossovers so multitone is not an issue.

I have had to explain the the Smith and Larsen woofer test will not give accurate readings over long loudspeaker lines. (Cable capacitance.)

Some of the DSP based audio power amplifiers try to show load impedance. Requires quite a bit to get it to actually work in the outside world.

Now the easy way to measure minimum loudspeaker impedance is to use a high value resistor fed from three properly summed oscillators and a true RMS meter. (More or Less)

A fine result, but surely one would expect that with any design with high levels of feedback? Sleep deprived today so may have missed something obvious.

CiteSeerX — A General Relationship between Amplifier Parameters and its Application to PSRR Improvement

shows the limit when the dominant pole compensation is referenced to a ps rail: the psrr for that rail follows loop gain

2-pole compensation and high loop gain gives more audio frequency loop gain

in discrete we can modify that with several other techniques such as ground referencing the compensation C

or diffing out the ps-gnd ac with a cancelling C to the other side of the mirror

the new OPA1622 brings out the compensation reference on a pin so it can be grounded - very rare for a op amp

Last edited:
diyAudio Member RIP
Joined 2005
Absolutely right George, I hadn't picked up that Brad cited another one.
I just went and looked at Cordell's book as his chapter on class D was referenced.

The amusing thing about the "correct" TI article is they don't say much about how they close the loop. Stanley has warned about doing this in the symbol domain, as he told me Nielsen was claiming to do.

diyAudio Member RIP
Joined 2005
I worked with the 'S' company for a year in Tokyo to design in some 100W RMS class D amp IC's.

The cost pressure on those 'boom box' products was incredible. Lots of corners cut on things like transformers - a 150 VA unit cost them about $3.50 and filter caps (2 x 2200uF35V) around 12c a piece.

I went up to the 23rd floor in the Oval building in Shinagawa where they had their audio design group to do a 'sound taste' test on one of their units fitted out with our chips.

The room was full of esoterica - ML power amps, B&W Nautilus speakers, 802's plus an assortment of Dali's etc and some very nice looking high end stuff of their own.

Anyway, they pulled out some speaker stands, put the boom box speakers up on them and connected the receiver to them and sat down for a serious listening test.

We had all sorts of comments back about the bass not firm enough, treble ok, mid range too recessed etc. They played some real dance music crap - terrible stuff compressed to hell.

I thought to myself 'how can you hear this on lo-fi single drive unit speakers and a 150VA transformer with a totally sub-optimal filter bank?' My overwhelming feeling was that they were just going through the motions.

Anyway, we got the business. About 6 months later we get a call in our Malaysia office - there's a problem with your chips - a whole lot of them are not performing.

The app engineer soon found the issue. The speakers were supposed to be 3 ohms and a whole batch of 4 ohm units has been mixed up in the production batch. Problem solved.

These products by the way were targeted at the South Amercian market - big business over there for them at the time.

These kinds of products are absolutely designed to a price - and the biggest area of skimping was the PSU in my view . . . you see the same thing at the 'P company, Samsung, LG.

Later on we exited that business and focused on mobile.

(to prevent the rail pumping problem, the input of one channel is inverted and then the speaker outputs on that channel reversed)
The funniest experience some people had at Harman was when one Japanese cap manufacturer had developed a special series of electrolytic caps and wanted Harman to hear how much better they made the audio sound. They actually showed up with a boom box that had been fitted with those new parts, and expected Harman's golden-eared listeners to hear the profound difference. I missed the demo which was probably as well. It was not even a sighted A-B comparison between two boom boxes!

Joined 2002
Paid Member
I'd go with

Thanks John. Transferred to the “For to do” list.

That fruit, escapes me

(JN we don't use passive crossovers so multitone is not an issue).

Now the easy way to measure minimum loudspeaker impedance is to use a high value resistor fed from three properly summed oscillators and a true RMS meter. (More or Less)

Ed, you are turning cryptic again. I promise I’ll pass the ouzo

George

An employ a long time ago would use NPN's upside down, much better sat voltage. They'd require BVebo, the test system never seemed to damage the componenets that I was aware of. But it was a very controlled test.

John

An old integrator reset switch idea. The emitter is now the collector though and the reverse beta starts out so bad not sure this is a fair vehicle to look for the problem.

Not trying to split hairs, but a CM doesn't change the PSRR. It decreases the power supply noise/ripple. And thus, less of it gets to the amp output. But the amp PSRR stays as it is.
A minor point but worth making IMHO.

Jan

The division between amplifier and CM and cascode is sort of a line in the sand. Making things black and white isn't really necessary and can mislead people into believing in divisions that don't really exist in practice - "A CM won't improve PSRR so I won't use it". This is the #1 thing that keeps anyone from being able to explain electronics to their grandmother.

If you measure the amp as a black box, then I'd argue it improves PSRR.

That's one way of looking at it.

We can't just leave the PSRR of the CM flapping in the wind can we? It adds to the amp's PSRR. And many amps have CMs on the PCB - and take it's PSRR with them when they are disconnected from the PSU. Or can a CM not be part of an amplifier design? If you were making a datasheet for such an amp would you specify a PSRR that was not equal to the PSU ripple divided by the output ripple?

Every cascode is essentially a mini-regulator anyways. If we reduce everything to black and white nothing will make sense anymore. A CM is practically just a cascode covering multiple stages at once. Often people will understand things better if rather than simplifying, you just present a picture that is factually consistent. Then instead of learning terminology and trying to derive function from it, they learn function first and then terminology just fits into place. And they don't learn the bad habit of doing it backwards.

Status
Not open for further replies.