John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part II

Status
Not open for further replies.
And the Takamine's don't sound bad either .
( other Asian guitars too )

From that era (early-mid 1980s), I think they were superior to the Martins. Martin was going through a bit of a down phase. But I've played one of Peter's old Martins and can attest that the action was wonderful. It somehow sounded better in his hands and those of the guy he sold it to (John Statz) than in mine. Go figure. :D

A long time ago I had a summer job in a music shop. One of the guys who worked there had acquired a guitar that he had lusted after, but now I don't remember whether it was a Martin or a Gibson. Anyway he played that guitar at a lot of gigs, and it sounded great, but it shredded his fingers. It seemed like every day he brought the guitar into the shop and worked on it; he adjusted the neck, he filed down the nut, he messed with the bridge, but he couldn't get the action right on that guitar. It was just a lemon, and his fingers bled after playing it for half an hour.

Plating BAD

Dr. Frankenstein's monster says: "PLATING BAD!!" (thank you Phil Hartman...RIP) (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nApazedQ7-E)

Although the testing in the link below was done at RF, I thought the polymaths who dwell here would be interested in this paper:

http://k6mhe.com/n7ws/Plating.pdf

I was researching ways to make an exposed hairpin coil on a Yagi antenna more corrosion-resistant and came across this paper which pretty much suggests that maximum Q is achieved leaving the IACS standard copper bare...or the thinnest plating possible of one of several types.

This is HF RF we are talking about and I have no illusions as to it's applicability to the ELF/SLF/ULF/VLF, or even LF bands. I figure someone here will attempt to ascribe audible effects to the data presented. That's the fun of this lounge, right? ;)

Have a great Sunday all,

Howie - WA4PSC

Howard Hoyt
CE - WXYC-FM 89.3
UNC Chapel Hill, NC
WXYC Chapel Hill, North Carolina - 89.3 FM
1st on the internet

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.