John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part II

Status
Not open for further replies.
Joined 2011
Paid Member
How many analog papers does a potential attendee need to have published at ISSCC, to be invited to the AA dinner? I only have two and am lead author on only one of the two. On the other hand I've got an excellent Lewis Winner anecdote (true story in fact) that nobody at the AA dinner has ever heard.

Disabled Account
Joined 2012
I was just sitting here with my headphones on listening to "Gimme Some Lovin" tune from "The Last Great Traffic Jam (Live)". In my little exercise room is where I can listen while exercising. Also doubles as a bass practice space. While I hold up the roof beams with my strong finger.

DSC02176.JPG

Did U know.JPG

Thank you very much. Good night.

But wait..... did some one say CARs?

CTS-V.jpg

Got carz ??

-RNM

Good friend took me to the Klipsch Museum of Audio History, in Hope Arkansas, today with guided tour by Jim Hunter himself. Fans of the Arcana would appreciate the strange giant Western Electric horns, prewar drivers and horns of all kinds, a 450 pound woofer from some prewar Worlds Fair, ancient tape recorders, an FM tuner with both bands (prewar and postwar), several Voigt bass horns, a Leak amplifier, etc. Call ahead to be sure that Jim Hunter will be there; not to be missed.

Also interesting to me were several custom slide rules that Paul made for various tasks. The circular ones are currently on loan.

All good fortune,
Chris

Last edited:
How many analog papers does a potential attendee need to have published at ISSCC, to be invited to the AA dinner? I only have two and am lead author on only one of the two. On the other hand I've got an excellent Lewis Winner anecdote (true story in fact) that nobody at the AA dinner has ever heard.

I don't think anyone there to talk analog would be turned away. Thanks to the LS guys for reviving this, we at Analog owe a lot to John Hall. The party at one point dwindled to about six of us having pizza with Bob Pease across the street from the Marriot on 4th St.

Disabled Account
Joined 2012
Carz

LS7 ?

(you look like the artist formerly known as 50 Baht)

CTS-V with The LS9 supercharged race engine... pushed a little further..... with suspension work as well. An amazing engine... forged titanium rods. Deep skirt block design with crank well up inside and 6 (slayed) bolt main caps. etc. Same engine as in the one-off ZR1.

Big block Vette with radicalized NA engine, For hauling duties, a Viper V10 pick-em-up truck.

carz.jpg

-Richard

Last edited:
hitsware,
there was a time when those really nice Marin guitars weren't all that expensive. Then there was a ban on many hardwoods they were made of and the prices soared. Perhaps the Asian guitars ignore those bans, but you just can't obtain the nicest wood anymore, it is a protected source today. Those old Martin guitars are going for many times their original prices.

hitsware,
there was a time when those really nice Marin guitars weren't all that expensive. Then there was a ban on many hardwoods they were made of and the prices soared. Perhaps the Asian guitars ignore those bans, but you just can't obtain the nicest wood anymore, it is a protected source today. Those old Martin guitars are going for many times their original prices.

Plus there was the 'fire' which destroyed all of the wood store...

I have a 1907 Martin - shaped more like a parlour guitar. Left to me by the widow of the original owner, a Baptist missionary who was in China for most of his life. It is on permanent loan to a nephew, but I have some pics somewhere which I will post when I find them.

Although never a loud guitar, it has an uncanny property in its being able to cut through background noise to the far recesses of a hall (without amplification) whereas a banjo played with National picks cannot!! Amazing projection.

Just remembered that a Martin buff reckoned that it was a 'Nightingale' model.

Status
Not open for further replies.