John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part II

Status
Not open for further replies.
Allen uses Rel Caps in the Sonics speakers he makes in Berkeley designed by me.
Unfortunately i have not heard the new versions so far. Last time i was in the states we had a prototype playing that i had build with Brian for the CES show. Both Brian and Allen say that the series production speakers sound much better without changing the circuitry i designed but using choosen parts. Also Stig called me up from Japan and told me that the "new" spaekers sounded just fine. I know these guys since 2o years and i trust them. I myself gave up a long time ago to "measure the sound of passive components". I hear diffences and i know that they exist but i simply did not find a set of measurements that tells me how they sound.

Ok, Joachim, let me go on, as an example of dialogue between one audio designer and another: Joachim, to get a quick and easy evaluation of what a Rel RT polystryrene cap would do in your application, just get Allen to order 2 or more .01 uf RT caps from Michael Percy, and have him send them to you. They should cost about $3.50 each, matched to 1% of each other. (abs value, within 5%).
These caps may be old stock or new stock. Old stock used Beyer polystyrene (clear)
New stock uses Chinese Polystyrene (amorphous and opaque) Both are good. Certainly close enough for this test.
Volume purchases can be done directly with the factory, but that is another story.

However, the USA has a number of cap manufacturers that are OK with polystyrene, I'm pretty sure. REL is probably still the EASIEST to get paid for samples of, from Michael Percy. Just do it, if you want to know if there is any difference. I usually specify Japanese electrolytic caps, and they are very good, especially Nichicon or Black Gate. Everything else is suspect, for me.

I wonder if John knows these ....... ;)

Attachments

• polystyrene_caps.JPG
    polystyrene_caps.JPG
    46.4 KB · Views: 243
This is what i am building right now. It is a high quality buffer i supply from batteries.
Before the buffer is a 4 position switch and a bypass switch so i can compare 4 pais of caps at a time against "zero". The caps are loaded by a 2Mohm Dale 0.1% metalfilm, nonmagnetic.
The first row shows a 10nF COG-NPO made from 10 x 1nF in parallel, blue 10nF 100V non magnetic Silver Mica, CD 1000V 10nF Silver Mica with steel wires. The second row shows a 10nF 100V Epcos MKT, a 10nF Röderstein 100V MKP 1837 new production in grey case, a 10nF LCR extended foil Polystyrol and a 10nF Styroflex, old style with steel wires of chineese production. The third row has a Mundorf Silver-Oil 1200V polypropylen and a NOS Röderstein KP1832 film and foil 12,2nF 1500V. I will also try to get me 10nF Rifa PPS and REL Polystyrol. I hope i can find some teflons too.

Attachments

• Cap Tester and DUTs.jpg
    Cap Tester and DUTs.jpg
    98.2 KB · Views: 227
  • Cap Tester.TSC - TINA.pdf
    49 KB · Views: 65
Status
Not open for further replies.