John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part II

Status
Not open for further replies.
You don't look too hard at a gift loudspeaker, but I would prefer THIS frequency response if I could have it:

Attachments

• Walexfig03.jpg
    Walexfig03.jpg
    60.4 KB · Views: 179
  • 710Wilfig4.jpg
    710Wilfig4.jpg
    33.1 KB · Views: 171
  • Walexfig04.jpg
    Walexfig04.jpg
    48.6 KB · Views: 176
  • Walexfig05.jpg
    Walexfig05.jpg
    51.6 KB · Views: 75
Joined 2002
Paid Member
"I believe in extended bandwidth, without a sharp cut-off."

If one were to take Heyser's view that "time", not as in seconds but down to fractions of wavelengths were more important than generally assumed, then in addition to a change in amplitude, the sharper corner also "acts like" more of a change in time which might be audible AS WELL AS the change in amplitude.

Not as technical or mathematically backed as JC posts but we can say that R.H. did try to convey a message

http://forum.zelfbouwaudio.nl/download/file.php?id=41950

https://community.klipsch.com/forums/storage/3/1027018/6904heyser.pdf

George

Last edited:
AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Something like what? Jan?

You mean brand? It's one of my own designs, a wideband driver in a reflex enclosure with a simple baffle step correction.

I did a SpeakerCamp on it with a group of people. We also took care of very simple, fast and perfect assembly. Less than a day to build a pair with no experience. People loved it.

Jan

Attachments

• speakercamp box 1.JPG
    speakercamp box 1.JPG
    785.6 KB · Views: 179
AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
I didn't know it could be so easy. I spent 6mo on a 3 way design, myself, and found it not to my liking.
Is that just one cone that does everything?

Yes it is. Of course, the power is limited, but it is fine for a not too large living room and below-ear-splitting level. Tonal balance is very natural, no perceptive loss of deep bass or ultra high. Its a matter of perspective: you can say, wow, it rolls off 5000 Hz at the top; but if you know anything about perception you know you really roll of less than 1/2 an octave of a 10 octave span. ;)

I think the greatest virtue of such simple designs is the total absence of xover filters with all their issues, problems and infinite re-iterational 'improvements'.

Attached just for fun, one of our listening test sessions. Totally uncontrolled :cool: The square white ones are Morgan Jones' Arpeggio's.

Jan

Attachments

• DSC_0500.JPG
    DSC_0500.JPG
    336.7 KB · Views: 174
Status
Not open for further replies.