John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part II

Status
Not open for further replies.
Disabled Account
Joined 2012
Yes, it is easy to build charades, publish incomplete information (scales, step sizes and types, etc...), then let other guess what you mean or intend to show. Must have some entertainment value.

I didnt intend to make you reply as you did..... but was looking at characteristics of devices and some are better than others in their 'raw' state. As to illustrate what i was looking for in a device. And, be ultra low noise.

Do you have any recommendations?

THx-RNMarsh

Last edited:
I didnt intend to make you reply as you did..... but was looking at characteristics of devices and some are better than others in their 'raw' state. As to illustrate what i was looking for in a device. And, be ultra low noise.

Do you have any recommendations?

Based on your understanding, no. "Device linearity" is an ill (or not at all) defined concept. You may talk about "better quasi-saturation characteristics", better "Early voltage", "lowest nonlinear Cbc or Cgd", etc... Each of these may affect a circuit topology linearity, but a "one size fits all" linearity metric doesn't exist.

Do you (or anyone) have a recommendation?

No, frankly I don't see the point of this exercise especially with artificial constraints. With bipolar noise has nothing to do with "non-linearity" in fact the lowest noise devices are best for log conformance. For JFET's the lowest noise comes with short channel and Vds modulation issues.

This issue of linearity devoid of any application considerations is not an engineering exercise.

Disabled Account
Joined 2012
No, frankly I don't see the point of this exercise especially with artificial constraints. With bipolar noise has nothing to do with "non-linearity" in fact the lowest noise devices are best for log conformance. For JFET's the lowest noise comes with short channel and Vds modulation issues.

This issue of linearity devoid of any application considerations is not an engineering exercise.

I understand. I wasnt being specific or narrow on purpose. Looking for the best compromise device for audio - line levels. Not MC or microphones or strain gauges et al. Its like asking for the best all around opamp for audio line levels. I might say 5532/4 is best at most things.... it does a lot of things very well. Is there a single device like that for audio IPS?

All devices do better if cascoded and IMO a fet with bipolar for cascode works best ...... Are there very low noise devices with a built-in cascode device in same/one package?

I will try the IF3602 with bipolar cascode and see how it does over-all.

THx-RNMarsh

Last edited:
Disabled Account
Joined 2012
That's the opposite of what I was saying, although I'm happy you volunteered. What I want to see is a Vce vs. Vbe graph, for constant Ic.

There apprears to be a lot of SIM curve tracers to play with. But is this kind of info you are looking for...?

0.png

1.png

2.png

THx-RNMarsh

Last edited:
Previously, glaring at the Early effect equation did not leave me any the wiser about the relationship between Vce and Vbe. Things are making more sense now however, so I pulled the Early effect equation inside out in order to plot theoretical Vbe vs Vce at constant Ic. I used parameters from my BC337-40 model.

X axis is Vce. This chart shows that at 1Vce, Vbe changes by about 246uV per volt Vce. This corresponds to a PSRR of about 72db which lines up with my experience.

Attachments

• Vbe-vs-Vbe-BC337-40.png
    Vbe-vs-Vbe-BC337-40.png
    31.5 KB · Views: 288
Are there very low noise devices with a built-in cascode device in same/one package?

IF has something like that. It's under amplifiers, not FETs.
Contains a lot of FETs in a metal can package.
Had to smile yesterday when I saw it because just b4 I had written that
the the IF3602 needs a Miller killer.

To exotic for me to be useful, so I didn't watch it closely,
but probably it has the right HiEnd appeal.
OTOH, several transistors in one can make it an integrated amplifier.

Can't look it up now, it is late evening here and I still have to drive 270 Km home.

Gerhard

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.