John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part II

Status
Not open for further replies.
The case is probably OK, and hopefully RF shielded. Usually they put something conductive on the plastic. The REAL problem, at least to me, is the rather wide band of noise that is so extended. It just doesn't look right, and I think that attenuating it above 50KHz or so would be a good thing to keep it from affecting the preamp or power amp in a negative way.

The case is probably OK, and hopefully RF shielded. Usually they put something conductive on the plastic. The REAL problem, at least to me, is the rather wide band of noise that is so extended. It just doesn't look right, and I think that attenuating it above 50KHz or so would be a good thing to keep it from affecting the preamp or power amp in a negative way.

John,

Can you post a plot of the noise?

There is a previous link on this thread that has all the measurements, and applies their own approach to the filter. My alternative would be to use a jfet follower instead, and perhaps a 3 or more pole filter to remove the RFI.

Gee, try a small coil 10-15 turns 1/8" diameter and a small cap say 47 pf silver mica before the buffer and maybe if really bad a smaller coil and larger cap on the output. Coils here are not the same as trying to make a power amp stable.

Here's the response in Spice.

attachment.php

Well, best I've got so far.

Attachments

• Filter_Buffer_Response.png
    Filter_Buffer_Response.png
    3.2 KB · Views: 302
I agree, but what would you estimate the gain bandwidth of fet follower to be? That is why I am thinking of choosing it, instead of an IC.

John, are you asking me or Simon? The GBW of my buffer is 8Mhz using a BF862. When you say a FET follower did you mean a circuit with gain? I thought you meant JFET buffer. I don't know if a buffer will have enough gain in our system ... it will be close I think.

But, I can always adjust the gain of our preamp, which doesn't have much right now.

Here's the circuit I simmed:

attachment.php

Attachments

• Filter_Buffer_Schematic.png
    Filter_Buffer_Schematic.png
    3.9 KB · Views: 298
Status
Not open for further replies.