John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part II

Status
Not open for further replies.
@ john curl

I'm up to page 59 of your PDF so far, & learning & enjoying it :)

To others. Just because stuff was discovered/invented 30/40 etc years ago, doesn't automatically make it obsolete ;) In fact, LOTS of things were discovered 100 & more years ago, that we still make use of today, & will forever.

Sure some things can be updated etc when more knowledge/facts etc becomes available, but that's as it should be :)

Cant be achieved with a single driver , been there done dat and a snap , its not going to get the job done. I'm sure it does it for some, like most things in audio , its not were i want to be ....

Its not top shelf and never will be .....
It depends on what you define as "not going to get the job done", and "not top shelf". This is where one really needs to be in the same room with the other person, listening to a variety of setups, to clarify what each individual sees as important.

For me, total invisibility of speakers under all situations, and ability to go to clipping levels with no tonality changes would be key requirements ...

@ john curl

I'm up to page 59 of your PDF so far, & learning & enjoying it :)

To others. Just because stuff was discovered/invented 30/40 etc years ago, doesn't automatically make it obsolete ;) In fact, LOTS of things were discovered 100 & more years ago, that we still make use of today, & will forever.

Sure some things can be updated etc when more knowledge/facts etc becomes available, but that's as it should be :)

Yes, fets were invented around 1930.

It depends on what you define as "not going to get the job done", and "not top shelf". This is where one really needs to be in the same room with the other person, listening to a variety of setups, to clarify what each individual sees as important.

For me, total invisibility of speakers under all situations, and ability to go to clipping levels with no tonality changes would be key requirements ...

From your link Clipping takes place at 3 watts ..... :)

I'm not seriously looking at using the current PC speakers to get there, too much work and not enough benefit; it's just an interesting exercise at the moment - and gear still does surprise me at times, producing a subjective impact far beyond what one would expect, at the particular stage of development it's in.

I've got 2 good quality subwoofer drivers here, I might be tempted to see if I can get extremely high quality bass out of them, as a next go ... ;)

Frank,

We have had these discussions at least 20 times , i have taken your questionnaire, answered all your questions , ticked all the boxes and yet ... :)

I'm happy for you if these simple devices tick your boxes , envious actually
And, when I've asked you to precisely state what is not quite ticking your boxes, you have brushed it aside - unless you say exactly what is not happening in the sound you're hearing I can't really offer more meaningful advice.

Again, I use 'bad' recordings to give me clues - on something that is a complete turn-off for you, what are the things that bug you?

The simple devices "work", but only if I go to some trouble optimising everything, every time I listen. The real goal is that, say, from 5 minutes after completely cold switch-on, without doing anything special the system is firing properly - meaning the good sound is on tap at any time.

The DEQX chap leaves his gear powered up 24/7, which gets around one problem, but it still took a couple of hours to get it to 'sing', after driving it at decent volume levels.

Last edited:
Last edited:
Sad , nope you got all your answers , but you maybe sliding along faster than I, so ....

:)

And, when I've asked you to precisely state what is not quite ticking your boxes, you have brushed it aside - unless you say exactly what is not happening in the sound you're hearing I can't really offer more meaningful advice.

Again, I use 'bad' recordings to give me clues - on something that is a complete turn-off for you, what are the things that bug you?

The simple devices "work", but only if I go to some trouble optimising everything, every time I listen. The real goal is that, say, from 5 minutes after completely cold switch-on, without doing anything special the system is firing properly - meaning the good sound is on tap at any time.

The DEQX chap leaves his gear powered up 24/7, which gets around one problem, but it still took a couple of hours to get it to 'sing', after driving it at decent volume levels.

Joined 2004
Paid Member
Frank was serious ..... ( no not PC frank)

That system is in Frank Sinatra's Palm Springs home. Its still there. I saw it on a tour about a year ago. You can rent the place for a weekend if you want to be ultra cool.

This film on stereo is contemporary with the above system . . . https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ziMw7uh9VNo

Fremer has some comments if you read through them.

"For me, total invisibility of speakers under all situations, and ability to go to clipping levels with no tonality changes would be key requirements ... "

Is this with the PC speakers?
It's got sorta close on occasions, but there are too many compromises at the moment - the power supplies are way not good enough. The last system that could do it pretty well was the reasonably mod'ed Philips HT - it had a transformer that a decent NAD would use, but didn't have to worry about bass duties - it could go to clipping without audible problems, and managed invisibility many times.

Status
Not open for further replies.