John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part II

Status
Not open for further replies.
Until yesterday, i wasn't aware of jockohomorants or moamps

Well i took some time to read their www's, & both are NO fools ! And jockohomorants has a wicked sense of humour :D moamps www has some nice info etc on it :)

If everbody in life were flat & dull, how boring that would be :p

What ...... I'm off ....:)

Every forum has its share of little wannabe Hitlers. :cool:

:)

Until yesterday, i wasn't aware of jockohomorants or moamps

Well i took some time to read their www's, & both are NO fools ! And jockohomorants has a wicked sense of humour :D moamps www has some nice info etc on it :)

If everbody in life were flat & dull, how boring that would be :p

Am I really "The Devil" I sure hope so. Too bad Jocko does not understand modern process technology. I wonder how many folks need to use BF862's successfully without a single report of problems, that I have seen, to drop noting the fact that the data sheet is written for the intended application, AM car radios. Jim Williams and LT put it on their datasheets as well as low noise at low frequencies.

Maybe it is worth pointing out that virtually no JFET available would be usable in a microphone application if the gate current spec was taken literally.

EDIT - I still regret losing my temper with moamps, but I did publicly appologize and I'm sorry it ever happened.

Last edited:
Congratulations, after 53,000 posts in this thread, you've been the first to Godwin.

Well, I joined thousands of posts after it was started, and did not read the first 20,000 or so.

As a moderator, I assume you have read them all. My condolences.

To clarify my previous statement, any forum may or may not have some really wise and cool people (not guaranteed), but it WILL have its share of wannabe Hitlers no matter what (iron clad guarantee).

Eventually every blowtorch runs out of fuel and you have tor refill the tanks. Perhaps it is time to either start a new thread or put a new spin on this old one. Not sure how you could ever summarize everything that has been said and discussed in this very long rambling thread. Does anybody have any legitimate questions referring to the original Blowtorch that hasn't been asked and answered? Can we morph this into something useful, not that there aren't useful tidbits here and there constantly, but they are just very disjointed at this point. I have learned many things on this thread, it is just hard to keep track of those moments in time.

There's only so much you can say about single preamp design that is still not completely transparent ... and this has been a very good informative discussion thread about many things audio! Like that last preamp Scott W and PMA shared. It's kind of nice seeing designs that aren't completely spelled out for you, cause you can add your own touches to it, and think about the design.

Anyway, no need to end the thread or limit it's scope too much! This the lounge forum ... ;) we can talk about audio or cars etc. ...

No, I want to go back even further.
Someone complained that the Electrocompaniet OTALA power amp was not 100% made of cheap parts, and they are partially right.
What appears to happen here is exactly what happened to me in 1968, when I developed my version of the complementary differential input stage. I worked for Ampex, so I used complementary dual pairs of transistors, that were supplied to the Video division primarily, but available from 'stores'. They, too, were expensive, but 'free' to me.
Matti and Jan apparently went into 'stores' at Phillips Research and found some matched dual pairs. This is what they apparently put into their prototype, and the Electrocompaniet guys, being VERY junior in design, at the time, just used them, rather than making roughly equivalent matched pairs from individual devices. YET, the Otala amp, (that I have working in my lab), is one of the best designs that I ever came across in its power range, even to this day. Yet, almost every part is almost 'stock' and the 'difference' is in how they are put together.

Status
Not open for further replies.