John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

No data of course. Just from my experience wondering why my certain cable sounded so bad compared to the others.

Btw, after listening to below videos, I believe a cable can change phase. May be a skin effect where higher frequency flows through the skin of the conductor.

In the video, a guy is modifying a watt puppy 6. There is a music where comparison was done between transparent cable that he replaced with silltech. He Prefered the silltech but I think the original was better. It is true that the speaker is too forward but the silltech doesn't sound right to my ears (may need breaking in?).

You can say that there's no data that they sound different. But there you go.

Wilson Watt Puppy VI sound like the sasha Part 2 - YouTube
Wilson Watt Puppy VI sound like the new sasha - YouTube

In the video, a guy is modifying a watt puppy 6. There is a music where comparison was done between transparent cable that he replaced with silltech. He Prefered the silltech but I think the original was better. It is true that the speaker is too forward but the silltech doesn't sound right to my ears (may need breaking in?).

You can say that there's no data that they sound different. But there you go.

Wilson Watt Puppy VI sound like the sasha Part 2 - YouTube
Wilson Watt Puppy VI sound like the new sasha - YouTube
Thanks, Jay - you just reminded me how bloody awful "high end" sound normally is - especially with Wilson speakers, amazes me that people can listen to stuff like this for 'pleasure' ... :D

Last edited:
A Wayne,
No I laugh to myself every time Frank uses his pc speakers as any type of reference to anything we are talking about here in diy sound. I can't get my head around using any cheap pc speaker to make any real technical arguments or comparison to an type of reference speaker, just makes no sense. No more sense than listening to a speaker that someone posts on U-tube and making any real comment about.

ps. Anyone who can listen to one of those inverted Focal dome tweeters and call that accurate needs to have their hearing checked. I have tested those and used them years ago and talk about fatiguing, those are horrid sounding.

Last edited:
Those PC speakers are good enough, working as part of the computer's audio system, for me to pick the differences between the various audio files posted - I don't see too many others with "superb" speakers coming forward to do similar ... ;).

I've listened to most of the 'fabulous' speakers, in person, over the years - sometimes they're pretty good, sometimes fair - but usually mediocre to downright awful - courtesy of the system driving them. I've mentioned several times the last 'other' system that I've come across that was genuinely capable, that actually produced the sound quality that I would expect a 'proper' system to produce - listening to expensive, impressive looking but 'dreggy' sounding transducers is not going to turn me on ...

The sad thing with audio is that far too people are hooked on the concept that tossing a bit of money into the mix will magically spawn 'better' sound, an instant elixir. Since I started in the game this fallacy was so obvious ... yet, it still has this strange power to draw people in ... :confused: :confused:

Frank,
I don't fall for the more money means better quality in many cases. Most here understand that most speakers out there are using commodity drivers from a small number of quality speaker manufacturers and you are paying for a nice box and a cheap network most of the time. Yes you can pay more money for something like a Revelator tweeter or something like that but they still don't cost that much if you have any skill at making your own enclosures. Networks are an art unto themselves but even custom wound inductors don't cost that much, nor do good polypropylene caps.
At the same time I don't see how you or anyone can make any real conclusions from a U-tube video of unknown sound quality? Perhaps you can tell that two sound tracks sound different but I wouldn't put any other weight to it than that. I surely wouldn't compare any speakers based on a U-tube video.

ps. Anyone who can listen to one of those inverted Focal dome tweeters and call that accurate needs to have their hearing checked. I have tested those and used them years ago and talk about fatiguing, those are horrid sounding.

Yeah, it shows up in the measurement. I think one of the cause of the mess is because manufacturers always use psychological aspect of the market in designing their products.

Status
Not open for further replies.