John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part II

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think that the original statement of 1dB difference was incorrect, because to compare different IC's you are going to use 1% resistors for the feedback loops and you would use the same values, so you are going to be in the 1-2% region, automatically.
Most sensitive analogue designs I lay out these days tend to use 0.1%, so an optimised layout using this sort of tolerance would be better?

AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member

Attachments

• rout.jpg
    rout.jpg
    89.7 KB · Views: 211
You don't have to trim 1% resistors to get close to 0.1dB.

Then why did you bring up resistor tolerances in the first place?

Let's run the numbers. If you have 1% resistors, the gain can be off from one setup to another by 2% worst case. It may well be better, but don't count on it until you check for yourself. That's around 0.18dB level difference, which is hard to hear but still well within perception for sharp listeners (who will perceive it as a tiny bit more clarity).

So, minor effect, but a potentially audible confounder and easy to prevent.

OK everybody, just get a batch of 1% resistors, perhaps around 1K-10K, the normal values that would be used. NOW, measure a number of randomly picked samples with a good multimeter, a Fluke or an HP will do. Now note how far they deviate from perfect.
Then calculate the chances that you could RANDOMLY pick two resistors that are almost 1% off in the same direction, in order to get what SY implies.
I guessed at 1 in 1000. It might be 1 in 100, or 1 in 1million. You do the math.

I guessed at 1 in 1000. It might be 1 in 100, or 1 in 1million. You do the math.

I'm rather surprised that you weren't aware that this depends on the distribution for one batch to another, one type to another, and one manufacturer to another. So it can't be universally calculated.

Seems a lot easier to spend a minute or two finding some matched pairs. Don't you do that?

OK everybody, just get a batch of 1% resistors, perhaps around 1K-10K, the normal values that would be used. NOW, measure a number of randomly picked samples with a good multimeter, a Fluke or an HP will do. Now note how far they deviate from perfect.
Then calculate the chances that you could RANDOMLY pick two resistors that are almost 1% off in the same direction, in order to get what SY implies.

You should measure and match them vs freq , not DCR , well if you decide to get serious...

:)

I don't follow your statistics, but in any event, it's easy to prevent and control. I match my gain control and EQ resistors and capacitors to 0.1% using some basic equipment- the nice thing is that for most circuits, it's the ratio that counts, not (within reason) the absolute numbers. I'm sure you do the same thing.

And I do not follow you. You care about precision of passive components and then you use them in mediocre valve amplifiers and get mediocre measurements like this. You care in passive precision is not helpful here.

Attachments

• SY_measurement.PNG
    SY_measurement.PNG
    114.4 KB · Views: 211
Status
Not open for further replies.