John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part II

Status
Not open for further replies.
Joined 2004
Paid Member
I doubt any current production opamps use masks or processes from the '70s or '80s. Those processes (and wafer sizes) have all been obsoleted.

However the external issues (e.g. the thermal effect on resistors shown on pg 3 of the cited app note) could well contribute to "thermal tails". In real audio circuits there should be a way to measure these transient effects if they are affecting the audio. Any suggestions?

Wow! All we need is the 5532/34. Yet, I can improve it, and have done it dozens of times WITH THE SAME FOOTPRINT. Of course, you have to be able to hear the difference. Dave Wilson bought this 'improvement' from us decades ago for his WAMM system.
Perhaps we should discuss what we did. And even YOU HERE can try it for yourself. '-)

Barleywater said:
And where are details of Mooly's LM4562 implementation and test setup?

Yeah, I second that. What kind of test? A listening test? Or measurement?

I'm using an LME49720 in a crossover (gain of 5), with a JFET buffer at the non inverting input. I only measured a THD of 0.00067% all 2nd and 3rd harmonic distortion at 1 volt peak, most like due to the JFET buffer. When you start talking about listening tests you get into fuzzy territory. They don't really prove anything, they just offer one persons opinion versus another. Nothing wrong with offering an opinion though!

Joined 2004
Paid Member
The LM4562 (AKA LME49720) is really good when driven from a low impedance source. In noninverting with a 600 Ohm or higher source impedance its distortion rises as much as 20 dB. But that is true of many opamps (and discrete circuits). As said before its all about implementation. The LME49880 dual JFET opamp is significantly better in this parameter.

Status
Not open for further replies.