John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part II

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back in the day, that used to be my extra pocket money.

If I cleaned the lathes, milling machines, saws, punch presses, and precision grinders, I could keep the money from the waste.
Everything carefully kept separate, steel, brass, bronze, occasionally aluminum.

(lot of work, but serious mulla for an 8-14 year old :clown:)

Last edited:
E Simon,
Yes I am aware of that and actually worked as a supervisor in a tooling shop. We did recycle and especially the titanium, that was like gold. I was reading about one of the wheel companies the other day that actually rough forges their wheels close to net size and finish machines the rough forging. I remember the cast wheels of old, still have plenty of them in storage somewhere and they were often heavier than a steel wheel they were so thick to make up for the lower strength. I think Superior Industries is the largest wheel manufacturer in the world right now but they are mostly an OEM manufacturer. They use die cast and forged rough billets to cut down on the secondary machining I think.

While the inside of the CTC Blowtorch looks rather 'scattered' to the untrained eye, it is actually wired that way on purpose, given what we had to hook up and what we had to make room for. It works great, with little Xtalk, DA, or hum pickup. I would not guarantee that in a plastic case, of course, but I'm happy.
This approach is not always followed, even by my own before or after preamp designs, but it WORKS!

www.hifisonix.com
Joined 2003
Paid Member
this is pointless

most Aussies are aware of the winged keel ... the underbody tech would never have come about from actually directly setting out to improve the aerodynamics of... the electric car?

hope this gets through, dont want to make another post for it. the combustion engine has done and will continue to play a major part in our development, but I think its time to move on, well past the time. I believe there are more efficient ways to make new tech run better, by directly investing in developing that tech, rather than relying on byproducts from flogging a dead horse for our amusement. it will be cheaper and knowing us, eventually more powerful. the torque on electric is pretty insane

I wonder why there is not more emphasis from governments to move towards a hydrogen fueled economy - either directly as a fuel or, in fuel cells. There's been a lot of work and prototypes over the years, but nothing that hinted at commercialization or government support.

I see Elon Musk is talking about charging stations for electrics cars across the country by 2020. I guess he realizes if he is going to sell cars, he better get the eco-system in place to support it. Intersting that it is a South African doing this . . . I wish him luck and success.

Fuel cells (not just H2) require very expensive manufacturing processes and often precious metals like Platinum in the convertors. also..well hydrogen and other fuels need to be made first as the primary process, then they need to convert that fuel into electricity. having this in the car I think is not that viable, better off working on supercapacitors to get charging time and range to more usable levels for pure/direct electricity use.

yes, also ^^ what he said

Disabled Account
Joined 2012
Yes, to some NASCAR, H1 boats and drag racing are about as interesting as watching paint dry but the first party can't just say OK and move on. They have to attribute some motive.

To some, electronics fall into the same catagory of booooooring subjects.
Move on? Some still design around phonographs and cartridges. But, hey... I can appreciate anything when taken to an even higher level. I like high performance anything... for the dedication to detail and knowledge and excellence is appreciated no matter what the subject. That's why I appreciate JC's work.... even though I dont care to listen to LP's any more.

Two years ago, I accidently ate dinner at the ex-Lao dictators home and met his wife there. While there I met a monk in the area of the old capital city of northern Lao. he told me about scrolls that are thousands of years old and still very readable. It was the way the paper was made and it is still made the exact same way where he gets his paper for drawing and painting (made in southern Taiwan). he made all his own colors himself. So I bought one of his paintings. I can appreciate that level of perfection the same way I appreciate the other old and new technologies. Its the way one approaches his/her work.... money or quality or performance or what ever it is one desires.... do it well.

Now, lets go make something happen and do it really, really well. .

Thx-RNMarsh

Last edited:
www.hifisonix.com
Joined 2003
Paid Member
What would be the cheap and plentiful supply of hydrogen?

se

It isnt there yet, and the infrastructure and eco system have to be developed for it. If you think about the kind of money that has gone into and going into deep sea oil drilling, and then all the refining, transportation etc, you can see its a daunting task. I saw an estimate for moving to a hydrogen based economy in the USA IIRC at something like $200Bln and that was 10 years ago. With 'cheap' shale oil, fracking etc I dont see it happening anytime soon. And, the developments in fossil fuels over the last 2 or 3 years (i.e. USA no longer reliant on importing oil) means the conversion to electric cars, in as much as it was going to happen, is probably pushed out by a few decades again. Musk is not targetting his car at tree huggers, but people that want a high performance car (have you seen the accelleration on those things?) so, the posititioning is a bit different to past efforts in this vehicle segment. Maybe Tesla can crack it. Maybe.

Last edited:
Fuel cells (not just H2) require very expensive manufacturing processes and often precious metals like Platinum in the convertors. also..well hydrogen and other fuels need to be made first as the primary process, then they need to convert that fuel into electricity. having this in the car I think is not that viable, better off working on supercapacitors to get charging time and range to more usable levels for pure/direct electricity use.

Work on better catalysts progresses.

Supercaps? While they are great, they have problems. Imagine storing enough energy to run a car 100 miles, and if something happens to the cap integrity, all the energy being released then and there.. Fender benders can take on a whole new meaning.:eek:

As Sy said, second law. Where is the hydrogen energy coming from?

How many understand the chemistry of solar cell fabrication..It isn't very green yet, nor is 13 to 15% conversion very efficient.

jn

The Tesla car is the equivalent of a Blowtorch preamp. Certainly not for the average man at a price between 60K and 120K US dollars. But the rich can say look at me I am saving fuel, like they need to worry about the cost of a gallon of gas and show of their nice new car. The main advantage is that the car can actually go more than 100 mile before it is sitting at the side of the road dead, dead battery anyway. Here in California the highest selling car right now is the Prius hybrid. I must say I have had some of those pass me at 80 miles an hour so at least they aren't a lead sled, they do move, but they are not all electric, still have a gas motor in the majority of them. So we are heading in a new direction, we are back to the beginning with an electric car. I read somewhere recently that there has been discovered a new method of making batteries that can charge at I think 1000 times the rate of current batteries and that will change the picture. I don't think most will want to wait for 3 or 4 hours with high voltage, 220V, to charge their cars even if there were charging station everywhere. I want to do it as fast as I can add gas. So the changes they are a coming but they are not here yet for the average user.

Two comments:

Hydrogen- Second Law.
Politics- Let's stay away from that a bit better than we're doing.

The hydrogen is gonna come from oil.
(see your first comment above: lousy energy density in hydrogen makes it very difficult and dangerous to handle, transport. so your gonna have to put a cracker in the vehicle - ht fuel cell and would that be any better than ic engine - if so, by how much?)

So how do you stay away from politics?

Dont even get me started on the solar boondoggle

This thread is being hijacked something terrible.

What's wrong with talking about hifi stuff?

Last edited:
Work on better catalysts progresses.

Supercaps? While they are great, they have problems. Imagine storing enough energy to run a car 100 miles, and if something happens to the cap integrity, all the energy being released then and there.. Fender benders can take on a whole new meaning.:eek:

As Sy said, second law. Where is the hydrogen energy coming from?

How many understand the chemistry of solar cell fabrication..It isn't very green yet, nor is 13 to 15% conversion very efficient.

jn

I didnt argue for hydrogen, my post was arguing against it for exactly the reason you mention among many. 13->15% of 'free' flowing energy with minimal ongoing cost or maintenance is still OK wouldnt you say?. i'm totally aware of the issues with some solar for now, but it is but one of the many options that dont include fossil fuels. i'd be marginally happy if people in the short term would just support greener fuels made from renewable resources instead of supporting the same old stuff sold by the biggest crooks, murderers and stand-over merchants on the planet. that people are fighting for the right to be ripped off by these people, while they sell your oil overseas to stop the local market from flooding and becoming less profitable is completely baffling to me. Fracking, is already causing some ground water to be flammable here, pure evil.

Nothing TOUCHES fossil fuels and coal for bad polluting/efficiency, we are talking billions of years to create and severe and immediate negative consequences for its harvest and ongoing combustion. 3G nuclear looks interesting, wind and tidal, hydro seems to work pretty well for humans apart from the displaced, not so well for the poor tribes, or animals that lived there.

the tech wont improve unless the public gets behind it and this will take hard work, because there will be a LOT of opposition. it WILL cost more initially, fossil fuels have an extensive distribution network, subsidies, powerful backers and a lot of the work has already been done by nature, but it is not sustainable and it will kill us all, if it hasnt already and we just havent seen the consequences yet.

electric has a lot of room for improvement wrt efficiency and it will improve quickly if efforts are focused that way in earnest. I dunno about you, but our city roads are getting so congested that I dont think personal 4 wheel transportation is viable for that much longer regardless of the fuel. a commute to Brisbane and back in peak hour will see 3.5-4 hours of my day down the drain for what should be a 30minute each way drive. i'm lucky in working from home and living in a satellite area, so it only touches me rarely, but when it does I want to kill by the end of it. At least electric uses a comparatively small amount of power in idle/traffic jam.

there has to be a better way.

to expect these technologies to be on par with a machine that has been oiled for over 1 hundred years; from the beginning, with the type of resistance they get for god knows what reason ( laziness I guess) is madness.

politics, I guess some people will always want to separate into mobs, instead of having the composure to talk about the solution from a basic human perspective.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.