John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part II

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've had estimates for solar powering my home.... it isnt the cost of the panels. its the cost/price gouging for the installation that runs the total bill up so high it isnt practicle/viable as an alternative.

Thx-RNMarsh

Run a complete grid independent senario with a week of no sun leeway, few do. It is easier in California, but the battery bank needed to cook a Thanksgiving dinner on an average electric range would surprise you then add hot water for long showers and the hot tub, AC for 75/50 24/7 (that's 75 degrees at 50% RH all the time).

I've seen folks try to run all their microwaves, toaster ovens, and hairdryers off of an off grid system designed for sensible use. After a couple of hours they sit in the dark. Each of these devices draws about 150A from a 12V battery through an inverter.

Disabled Account
Joined 2012
Run a complete grid independent senario with a week of no sun leeway, few do. It is easier in California, but the battery bank needed to cook a Thanksgiving dinner on an average electric range would surprise you then add hot water for long showers and the hot tub, AC for 75/50 24/7 (that's 75 degrees at 50% RH all the time).

I've seen folks try to run all their microwaves, toaster ovens, and hairdryers off of an off grid system designed for sensible use. After a couple of hours they sit in the dark. Each of these devices draws about 150A from a 12V battery through an inverter.

Yes. the company (BP. yes That BP) said they would need to install a whole farm of panels in the land behind the house and have it track the sun. No problem. :eek: I dont think so.

I already have solar water heater with electric booster/backup. BUT.... I could use solar to run just the A/V and the pool filter pump and most high effec lighting... but not the whole house.... no oven.... no HVAC system.... just a few of the house circuit breakers would be rerouted to solar. That I would consider if the install costs were reasonable.

THx-RNMarsh

Last edited:
Yes, Kindhornman, I have recently designed an integrated amplifier for Parasound. We even did the layout and mechanical design.
However, it may never be built, because we can't get the right jfets and volume controls.
I build at a number of price points, and I often use IC's and have done so for the last 40+ years. However, my BEST designs, for those who still believe there is a difference in electronics (I certainly do) are still all jfet. Next best, mixed jfet and bipolar, third best IC + some discretes. That is usually my low limit. I will leave the cheaper IC's, and non servoed designs to others.
I still care to design the best that I can do, and I find a number of others (not necessarily on this website) who are just as enthusiastic as I am, even today. We will continue to make the best that we can, no matter what, as this is what we enjoy doing.

TEMPERATURE COMPENSATION CIRCUIT AND PROTECTION CIRCUIT TECHNICAL BRAIN KK; FUJI SOUND CO
PROBLEM TO BE SOLVED: To provide a temperature compensation circuit in which not only thermal runaway does not occur but also deterioration factors even in a sound quality are extremely reduced even when an emitter resistor is not employed for a final step transistor, and a protection circuit for an output transistor or for a loudspeaker and the like. ; SOLUTION: One more bias voltage (Vbias2) with a negative temperature coefficient is further generated by a basic bias/temperature compensation voltage (Vbias1), and the Vbias2 is used for bias voltage/temperature compensation dedicated to output transistors Q6, Q7. The Vbias2 is a forward voltage drop to be generated in both terminals of D1, D2 by I1. It is desired, in such a case, to use the diodes D1, D2 for which transistors of the same type as Q6, Q7 are diode-connected.

Attachments

• espacenetDocument.png
    espacenetDocument.png
    93.8 KB · Views: 203
www.hifisonix.com
Joined 2003
Paid Member
Yes, Kindhornman, I have recently designed an integrated amplifier for Parasound. We even did the layout and mechanical design.
However, it may never be built, because we can't get the right jfets and volume controls.
I build at a number of price points, and I often use IC's and have done so for the last 40+ years. However, my BEST designs, for those who still believe there is a difference in electronics (I certainly do) are still all jfet. Next best, mixed jfet and bipolar, third best IC + some discretes. That is usually my low limit. I will leave the cheaper IC's, and non servoed designs to others.
I still care to design the best that I can do, and I find a number of others (not necessarily on this website) who are just as enthusiastic as I am, even today. We will continue to make the best that we can, no matter what, as this is what we enjoy doing.

What is the point John of designing stuff that 'may never be built' because components are not available, or are priced way too high because of scarcity?

It's completely pointless and no doubt you are then forced to do what has to be done to put a product prototype on the table that can be built and sold. That, or go out of business.

There is a lot going on in using more of the spectrum, pesky physics and bandgaps. Of course the exotic structures cost more but, the theoretical max is a pretty nice number (forgot it).
I recall 23% from a few decades ago, but I think that was the theoretical limit for GaAs. PopSci had an article on layered devices which each used different parts of the spectrum. But I'm not that current in what's been done lately.

34% for single junction. Currently at 25% in the lab and 19-20% in production.

87% for a theoretical infinite multi junction cell. 44% in the lab today, none in production.
Yah, major cost tradeoffs with the fancy stuff. Amorphous was less efficient but production costs were lower, I think they're really working printed organic research as well.

I've had estimates for solar powering my home.... it isnt the cost of the panels. its the cost/price gouging for the installation that runs the total bill up so high it isnt practicle/viable as an alternative.

Thx-RNMarsh
Costs this side of the rockies are also quite high. I'm not sure about the installation gouging point though. Trade mechanics, ya gotta figure as a kilodollar per man-day fully loaded. A colonial roof, two guys five days, 10kilobucks install cost without materials, supervision, or code inspection.

jn

The last time I investigated solar the payback period was estimated at 25 years based on cost plus installation fees. With the average homeowner moving on a 5 year schedule it doesn't make sense for the first person to make the payout for the installation. When the efficiency rises to the point where the payback gets to 5 years the proposition will become practical. That is why I suggest that rules be written that new construction demand the installation and it can be absorbed as a smaller percentage of the whole than as a stand alone prospect. Remodeling of over a specific amount of square footage could also require retrofitting.

Here in the City of Los Angeles for a larger size home the power bills are quit high, I know my average power bill is in the $500 per month range and going up all the time. The average utility worker who is employed by the city is over 100K dollars per year and rising, so if the efficiency was there I bet you would see many homes with solar so we can say goodbye to the constant rate increases.

AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
So true! Jan knows me, so that certainly counts as one of the lot. :D
(I can not type legibly at all without spell correct. I love spell correct. Numerals are difficult too, they won't stay in place.)

False modesty!
BTW I noticed that I started to swap characters when typing, started a year ago or so.
Two possible causes: 2) I'm getting older; 1) I'm getting too fast for my keyboard.

Haven't decided yet which it is :eek:

jan

Last edited:
John,
Given that you do intend to design with discrete parts and many of the older devices are no longer available what is the solution to that? I understand that the majority of new consumer devices will be with IC's or even monolithic chip sets what is the answer for you? It seems that we all thought that long ago vacuum tubes would be unobtanium parts and that hasn't happened due to enough demand to keep a few manufacturers in business, why hasn't this happened with discrete transistors of the types used for audio? Is it just that the preferred device that you wish to use are no longer produced, or is it all of a specific type are not being made, Jfet in your case?

AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
When the efficiency rises to the point where the payback gets to 5 years the proposition will become practical. That is why I suggest that rules be written that new construction demand the installation and it can be absorbed as a smaller percentage of the whole than as a stand alone prospect.

In Belgium you can get interest-free loans to finance the solar installation, and you can also deduct the cost from your income so get a tax break. Pay back is indeed around 5 years.

When I was on Santorini last month, they told me the whole island runs on diesel generators, and this is in the Med where they have 364,9 days of sunshine per year! Plus, in some places you can't dig deeper than half a foot before the dirt is too hot to touch. Explanation? 'Nobody does anything'. So it's not always a matter of money only.

jan

Last edited:
Yes. the company (BP. yes That BP) said they would need to install a whole farm of panels in the land behind the house and have it track the sun. No problem. :eek: I dont think so.

THx-RNMarsh

Large size tracking systems add huge costs. An honest look at it also need to have all subsidies (direct and hidden) removed from the equation. A direct neighbor has about 2000W of fixed panels grid tied and claims to be getting PAID every month. :rolleyes: Don't notice if she goes out on the roof in the winter and removes the snow. BTW the cosmic dust/soot build up must be removed regularly or it makes a BIG difference.

Also this is New England we take a hit for poor insolation (not insulation). USGS has maps for both insolation and wind. With wind laminar flow kills you. A nice 400W super magnet generator is pretty cheap, the 75' minimum tower and spool of #6 wire get you at several times the price.

Last edited:
Mr. Db,
I'm with you on the cornering being the most fun, as long as they aren't all left turns.........

Can still remember when I was a kid and the cop was so pissed as he tried to chase me doing 75 in a 35 zone through the turns off Mulholland Drive. I was being conservative as I had been known to hit 90 in the straight shoots between curves. He should have just waited for the straight sections! Yes I did pull over, no use trying to outrun a helicopter........

I recall 23% from a few decades ago, but I think that was the theoretical limit for GaAs. PopSci had an article on layered devices which each used different parts of the spectrum. But I'm not that current in what's been done lately.
Yah, major cost tradeoffs with the fancy stuff. Amorphous was less efficient but production costs were lower, I think they're really working printed organic research as well.

I wonder how this all compares to the solar concentrators/liquid sodium systems.

Status
Not open for further replies.