John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part II

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back To The Original Topic...

It seems that the rabbleing students have taken over the class room :(.
So perhaps we should return to allowing John to have his word here, out of respect at least.

I am interested to know more about Johns other creations, including his Parasound designs.
I have experience of only one example, and that was at least a decade ago now.
I used to do repairs for 'the' high end shop here in Perth, and one day I walked in to be greeted to a 'sound' that I had not heard before.
Instantly I was in enjoyment of a most unusually musical, detailed, comfortable and engagingly pleasant and 'real' sound.

I immediately asked what is it, and was shown a pair of Thiel speakers driven by a Parasound amplifier.
I have heard 'millions' of equipment sounds over the bench and in showrooms, and of those many, if not most were somehow 'wrong' or just plain drove me out of the room.
This one grabbed my attention by being 'right', both instantly and after further listening on tracks that I know.
So, there you have it John, an instant convert !.

Anybody else have further experiences of John's Parasound gear, or his other gear, and long term living with listening impressions.
Perhaps JC might like to chime in with anecdotes regarding the various Parasound models, and other makes benefiting of his design inputs.

Dan.

Last edited:
besides is it really elegant engineering and prowess to get more power by dumping ever more fuel in? getting 1200+ BHP out of a 1.6-2lt flat 10, then squeezing some more from the regenerative breaks? hmm Ive gotta give em points for effort there, but I dont think its making the world a better place either.

Yes, it can be elegant engineering. And the knowledge can indeed make the world a better place.

Better air/fuel mix, better ignition, better understandings of how to burn every last molecule of fuel, most of the advances you now have under the hood was developed in racing.. Ah, don't forget metallurgy...it was back in the day that they first realized that connecting rods needed to be polished on all external surfaces..and turbo's with quarter millon rpm's...

It is sometimes difficult to forsee how the hard learned knowledge will be used in the future, but that is life.. Had De Forest known in advance about spongebob squarepants, would he have decided the technology was not worth persuing?

on the other hand I find it hard to argue with the value/importance of the LHC
Why? The 10 billion dollars could have been spent helping to feed the planet. All it did was find a hint of one teeny little particle..no big deal, while consuming valuable resources like energy, helium. Nobody can eat it, nobody will keep warm in the winter, it won't prevent any diseases..

It's exactly the same as the racing scenario. Pushing the envelope.

For the LHC, it has:

1. Trained the next generation of physicists.
2. Advanced the understanding of superconductivity, it helped train the next generation of magnet engineers.
3. Advanced scintillation material research.
Benefits:

Extended understanding of superconductors used for power transmission, energy storage, MRI's, Medical accelerators, X-ray detection, even plasma fusion research..

Not to mention advances in internet comms and cloud storage..

And those are only the things I can think of off the top of my head..

jn

And remember it was at CERN that HTML and the Web was invented by a physicist in order to aid the communication of information. You can't get funding for something nobody has thought of yet, but you can get amazingly useful spinoffs from the hunt for mesons/quarks/W boson/Higgs etc. It could be argued that 'big physics' is one of the most efficient ways of spending money in terms of return per dollar. Interestingly, places like India and China understand this but Europe and America seem to be forgetting it.

And remember it was at CERN that HTML and the Web was invented by a physicist in order to aid the communication of information. You can't get funding for something nobody has thought of yet, but you can get amazingly useful spinoffs from the hunt for mesons/quarks/W boson/Higgs etc. It could be argued that 'big physics' is one of the most efficient ways of spending money in terms of return per dollar. Interestingly, places like India and China understand this but Europe and America seem to be forgetting it.

No, no, no. Al Gore invented the web...;)

Indeed, America has forgotten, much moreso than Europe..

jn

Yes, it can be elegant engineering. And the knowledge can indeed make the world a better place.

how exactly? its dead end technology, it serves no productive purpose doing it 'better' at this point. how about doing something a bit more challenging and use something other than fossil and/or hydrocarbon fuels? how is it really pushing something forward that hasnt already been done many times, or isnt already happening, or already done in industry or military? is it so handy burning every last bit of fuel that it takes precedent over sanity? burning LESS fuel, thats productive. its an ironic comment, seems to be what will need to happen (burn it all or die trying) before people stop using these stupid and destructive fuels and making excuses why its still furthering human endeavour.

its boys toys, nothing more

Better air/fuel mix, better ignition, better understandings of how to burn every last molecule of fuel, most of the advances you now have under the hood was developed in racing.. Ah, don't forget metallurgy...it was back in the day that they first realized that connecting rods needed to be polished on all external surfaces..and turbo's with quarter millon rpm's...

yay!!! that'll put food on the table!! that'll help solve the problems we've created. whats new here? nothing. just different ways to burn more carbon as quickly as possible going as fast as possible, but in the end going nowhere, for no good reason.

It is sometimes difficult to forsee how the hard learned knowledge will be used in the future, but that is life.. Had De Forest known in advance about spongebob squarepants, would he have decided the technology was not worth persuing?

and there are no less insane ways to gain this 'new' 'knowledge' ? as if thats why people do it ...

Why? The 10 billion dollars could have been spent helping to feed the planet. All it did was find a hint of one teeny little particle..no big deal, while consuming valuable resources like energy, helium. Nobody can eat it, nobody will keep warm in the winter, it won't prevent any diseases..
haha like 10 billion would touch world hunger. furthering the knowledge of how the stuff this place is made of works could easily result in technology that can give us access to better, more efficient manufacturing, build better medical scanning, more efficient quantum technologies and generally give some perspective. I dont like the energy either, the money I think is pretty meaningless at this level, its a construct and countries will drop that amount of coin developing a plane to kill people more efficiently, so I know what I prefer.

note I said the LHC as a whole, not just the search for the boson. the creation of CERN has already brought huge advances to this world as a byproduct ie. the internet. I see no reason to think it wont bring similar advances, sorry I dont see the same coming from pushing people over water just as sheer happenstance.

It's exactly the same as the racing scenario. Pushing the envelope.

For the LHC, it has:

1. Trained the next generation of physicists.
2. Advanced the understanding of superconductivity, it helped train the next generation of magnet engineers.
3. Advanced scintillation material research.
Benefits:

Extended understanding of superconductors used for power transmission, energy storage, MRI's, Medical accelerators, X-ray detection, even plasma fusion research..

Not to mention advances in internet comms and cloud storage..

And those are only the things I can think of off the top of my head..

jn

exactly the same? thats funny ... you just made my point for me.

name a single advance thats happened as a result of pushing private citizens over water that wouldnt be possible without the mass burning of hydrocarbons? all this slower than a light aircraft that someone can build from a kit in their garage can manage? in the last decade name something that is of anywhere near the same significance as just a single one of those discoveries you have mentioned?

light aircraft are not nearly as masculine or loud though, so it wouldnt be a proper substitute. the wantun waste of resources is part of the appeal, hey I can afford to do this! hear me roar!

Last edited:
JNeutron,
One of the questions becomes with the concentration of wealth in fewer and fewer hands do we just expect that these people will fund the next round of invention and innovation to expand their wealth? Our government seems to have forgotten how much basic research helped to develop new industries and expanded the pot for all the rest of us. Are we now counting on the Space-X type of companies to carry us forward on mostly their own dime? I guess one could look at how much money GE made in the last two decades but at the same time they seem to have gutted their own basic development labs to increase that bottom line, where do they go from here? I know I don't have the answer to this problem and getting into the politics of all this isn't for this forum that is for sure. I do appreciate the development that goes into hydroplane racing or any other form of racing and I would think that the kinetic energy recovery systems developed in F1 racing, as expensive as it gets may just possibly have some use in new automotive design for hybrids in the not to distant future.

Qusp I understand where you are coming from, trying to save the planet one person at a time is a difficult thing to do. I actually have an idea for a low cost manufacturing method for a wind turbine design but where are the funds going to come from? Sometimes it is even hard to give away a great idea, the it wasn't invented here syndrome comes into play. I have been in this type of discussion on another forum for development of high speed composites manufacturing for the automotive industry, but again it is the not what we invented or intended paradigm.

The planet itself would not notice and not care if boat racing and auto racing stopped tomorrow. It wouldn't halt global warming, affect the price of oil, or make any material difference at all.

who said anything about the planet? the planet doesnt care if we live or die, it will carry on, us on the other hand and the other species that had nothing to do with it and gained nothing from the experience ... not so much

its exactly this type of weak argument that becomes used as justification for doing nothing and changing nothing en-mass across the board. we arent going to get off this rock before it becomes inhabitable at this point, not with the way people and governments are spending nothing on real R&D, so we are stuck with what we create.

first it was done with ignorance in the name of progress, then it was done in spite of the problems the scientists warned of, that were denied by those in power to make changes and those that enjoy the ride, now its all too late, we're all ****** and can just carry on because nothing will make a difference.

yay humans!! haha advanced civilisation

can you really be treating it as an isolated past-time?

Last edited:
Disabled Account
Joined 2012
no Richard, I dont think you get where i'm coming from at all.

yes I do. becuase I am in the same little boat with you and I have spent my time in the Army and seen the rest of the world and how crappy it is for most people. Rahm ended up in a hospital from malnutrition trying to feed his family first. I cant save the planet, just one family at a time.
I am trying to put this forum in perspective ... maybe just talking out loud for myself. it isnt important in the mainstream of events. But, it is important to keep or rather to support the arts - music in this case. because it is a part of humanity that brings beauty into the world. Recording and playback bring beauty into our lives and even in remote, poor parts of the world.
But, when we get all weird about it and make it out to be more important than it is, that is a sickness. With that formost in my mind, let's get back to the topic now... and do it with humility and with the same gusto that H1 or any other endevor is done when the bar is placed high.

Thx-RNMarsh

Last edited:
OK mate, well i'm with you on everything above. ****; heres me thinking species wide survival would be an easier sell than altruism and creative arts ;)

i'm certainly more depressed than I was going into this discussion, here is a collection of great minds and on some subjects it may as well be the badlands.

its not productive I can see, but where the hell do we talk about this stuff? it NEEDS to be talked about and not just put in the too hard basket. we have this WWW and if we cant use it to save our skin when the powers that be wont, what the hell is the point of it? I dont need everyone to agree with each other on everything, that'll never happen and nor should it, but some things are basic and should be able to be talked about without battle lines being drawn over 'God given rights'

this^^ isnt aimed at you, just a vent.

OK erm... back to the...subject ... what was it again? oh yeah audio, surely we can all agree on that? :p

Last edited:
in the last decade name something that is of anywhere near the same significance as just a single one of those discoveries you have mentioned?
IIRC, there are a lot of safety features in our cars and boats that come of racing. Lots of handling engineering as well as fuel efficiency advances, even oil tech..I recall indy cars have a limit on displacement and fuel quantity, so efficiency is a key target, and consumers do indeed benefit from that. Remember, internal combustion isn't going away in our lifetime..might as well make it more efficient.

I'm not saying that it's not boys with their toys, it certainly is to some extent. My point was that pushing the envelope requires development. While boat racing does not float my "boat", so to speak, I won't rail about it.

Imagine for example, some audio guy who is trying to make a really good quiet amp or preamp, but is hampered by the lack of EMC understandings in the industry.. So, he finds out that to meet his goal, he has to hog out a hundred pound billet of aluminum into the shape of a chassis....:eek: What a huge waste of resources!!!!!

But he pushed the envelope.

I am indeed in the "boat" of diminishing dollars for basic research. Stuff I've developed will languish as a consequence of short sightedness, people around me will be unemployed in the next few months..sigh.

jn

No thanks. There must be be some other forum more appropriate for your incoherent rants about power-boat racing.

Maybe so, but this isn't the place. Feel free to talk about it elsewhere.

haha, have a nice life. where the hell is the place for it then, everyone just shirks it as... not here, its too hard, causes conflict. well guess what, the hard questions cause conflict! and if you really think that was about powerboat racing, well. I guess we're all going to hell.

who said anything about the planet? the planet doesnt care if we live or die, it will carry on, us on the other hand and the other species that had nothing to do with it and gained nothing from the experience ... not so much

Okay then, elimination of these activities won't have a measurable effect on the biological infestation of this planet, nor the environment in which they exist.

Status
Not open for further replies.