John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part II

Status
Not open for further replies.
Eh yeah I was generalizing I guess. There are some really good systems to be had out there for sure.

And I guess if I was to just apply my same logic with expensive speakers it might be easy to beat the cheap system. I just see some people's systems that I have met with price tags that lap my whole system several times over and I would take my cheap surround sound over their expensive stereo any day.

Oh!:eek:

I just wonder if any could explain what happens with a ripped CD to a server, is it the TCP/IP that makes it or?????

Kamskoma

Nope
TCP & IP are just used for talking on the internet.
nothing else
they are used to put the internet bits into groups of bits [packets], addressing, so the bits go to the right places, error correction, etc.

Last edited:
Nope
TCP & IP are just used for talking on the internet.
nothing else
they are used to put the internet bits into groups of bits [packets], addressing, so the bits go to the right places, error correction, etc.

Ok,

Maybe it is the "pull system" like USB, it is a more controlled system for streaming.
No mechanics or electronics, "mechacon" that can make som trouble.

Haha the strange thing is I would actually put a very cheap active system up against most expensive hifi systems - see my little trick is I spend my money on more speakers to achieve surround sound.
<snip>

I guess I see the rich crowds usually chasing euphonic distortions at ridiculous price tags. I think with just a little bit of knowledge as to what kind of sounding speakers to look for and some elementary knowledge of electronics you can easily come up with a system that rivals or possibly beats most hi fi setups with a much higher price tag.

For example??

_-_-

Joined 2004
Paid Member
Well give me a system and I will beat it. lol

Mine will crush yours. . . . it weighs a lot more.

I have two reactions to this- first its fundamentally childish and not constructive to bang your chest and say "Mine is better!!!".

Second, even if the ego is set aside, there must be an intelligent discussion of what constitutes better.

The underlying reason this forum exists is that the simple short collection of standard objective measurements don't adequately describe human reactions to the sonic experience. Perhaps it all about the color of the grill (Quad 57) or size of the knobs, or it may be the 7th harmonic or just attention to all of the details and a particular balance of the engineering tradeoffs, but, clearly, there is something that some of us respond to that isn't simply quantified. As such my "better" will be different from yours. And, probably, only I can make that judgement. And that judgement I make is only true for me.

Joined 2004
Paid Member
Originally Posted by Key
Haha the strange thing is I would actually put a very cheap active system up against most expensive hifi systems - see my little trick is I spend my money on more speakers to achieve surround sound.
_-_-

In my experience adding more speakers make imaging exponentially harder. If you want the sound of 5-7 discrete sources its easy, to get a seamless surround with the speakers disappearing its very difficult. The only time I have heard it work was with the full Trinnov system managing the eq/speaker placement.

Also, I find it only relevant for some music. Surround adds little to the late Beethoven String Quartets.

Eh my experience is the exact opposite. Using 4 speakers allows me to see much clearer into the 2 channels and localizes sounds where they should be in a lot of cases where stereo presents a blatant error. I don't know what that placement is exactly either got a link or anything? I have some tricks which I am not exactly revealing here either so er the picture will have to be incomplete I guess.

Last edited:
Joined 2004
Paid Member
I am just playing around here I don't think you can quantify subjectivity but I do think you can objectively prove accuracy of one system over another in a comparative manner. Again not that I am really trying though.

Your challenge is to define what constitutes accuracy. I know John has obsessed over accuracy his entire career and changed his criteria as he has learned new things. I have also and our targets overlap but are not the same. You will find that most people in this industry have no desire to add coloration and most are trying to remove obstacles to hearing the qualities that they value. Even what I find colored and distorted in a tube system will remove something that impairs the "accuracy" of the reproduction of something for someone else.

AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
[snip]The underlying reason this forum exists is that the simple short collection of standard objective measurements don't adequately describe human reactions to the sonic experience. Perhaps it all about the color of the grill (Quad 57) or size of the knobs, or it may be the 7th harmonic or just attention to all of the details and a particular balance of the engineering tradeoffs, but, clearly, there is something that some of us respond to that isn't simply quantified. As such my "better" will be different from yours. And, probably, only I can make that judgement. And that judgement I make is only true for me.

Demian, thanks for this perceptive (no pun intended) and thoughtful post! I fully agree.

Have a great 2010!

jd

Perhaps it all about the color of the grill (Quad 57) or size of the knobs

I have been told in no uncertain terms that I will not be allowed anywhere near her knobs if I bring Quad 57s into the house.

You will find that most people in this industry have no desire to add coloration and most are trying to remove obstacles to hearing the qualities that they value.

Is that really true? Looking at much VERY highly rated ultra-expensive gear, I see astoundingly high distortion ("oh, don't worry about 5% second!"), marginal stability ("transformer ringing? It makes the sound more dynamic and real!"), and high source impedance ("particularly revealing of system changes.").

near her knobs

Living on the edge of the knobs can be exciting, so i'm told.

(surely a modest wallet size 988 may make her less obknobtious)

Attachments

• BT in your eye2.jpg
    BT in your eye2.jpg
    52.5 KB · Views: 298
Do you know why those knobs are so massive? Except for the obvious, like these are our MM model knobs. Previously we used the DP model, but I felt they made the preamp look like it was about to tip over. Jack Bybee has that model, today. May he twiddle the knobs long in the future.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.