John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part II

Status
Not open for further replies.
The only really good SACDs are those with classical music, recorded and mastered in a pure DSD (Sonoma rather than Pyramix - ask Michael Bishop). Telarc, Linn Records as good examples. It does not make much sense to convert poor old 20 yrs old PCM record into DSD - SACD. It may sound 'nicer', but it does not exploit the full DSD potential.

Well I think there is also a mix match of compatibility from old tapes and DSD. If you read the papers sony has released telling you how to prepare a DSD recording for duplication there are some weird things about ultrasonic energy and filtering. I suspect that on a couple of mine the weird artifacts I am hearing are the tape hiss interacting with the DSD format and it's ultrasonic artifacts. Also with PCM you will notice that it recommends 88.2kHz samplerate because of the strange altered cutoff frequency. This to me is a clue that DSD in a sense is actually lower res than a DVD-A even though the comparison is an apples vs oranges one.

Everyone, I would like to make an important point at this time. First, as I have a lot of experience in making world class audio products, and even sometimes using them, as they are made from other manufacturers, I know that it costs time and money to make the best products possible, at least in the vast majority of the products.
For example, at the moment, I have 3 separate phono reproduce players under development. One at $2,000, one at $6,000, and one at $20,000+ dollars.
What do you think makes them different? The price tag? For some of you, who have never tried anything better than a cheap Grado, that would be the case. However, for me, it is very serious, and I have to make each design as good as I can.
For example, the cheapest design is made of IC's, mostly. It will be the hardest to make right, because I have to work around people, like some around here, who think their IC's are virtually perfect, and nothing more need be done.
The second unit will be the best 'bargain' or 'bang for the buck' because it will be all discrete, except for servos, yet it will lack remote control, variable equalization, and several other features. The all-out unit (sort of a Bentley) will have everything, and it will cost correspondingly more to make, than the other two units.

Yes, you are too poor to have a valid opinion, just as I am too poor to judge fine wines. I have tasted good French wines on occasion, but I cannot afford them. Do I go to a wine tasters or makers website and insist that 2-buck Chuck (an inexpensive, but good wine) is ALL there is, and the rest is a rip-off? No, I don't. Some here do this with audio design, especially those who know better.

You win again! lol.

Anyway if you want to know my opinion of CD-DA - you don't but your getting it anyway haha - it's all about the output filter and keeping it away from the frequencies which are audible to humans. With 44.1kHz the filter is around 20kHz and can typically put ripple well down into the 13kHz area. If you are to upsample to something with a much higher nyquist frequency you can use a filter that has a gradual slope and minimal phase shift.

Oh I was replying to Curl not you PMA. Just having some fun here don't take me too serious.

Last edited:
You ARE cheap. ;-) Now, quit trying to have a little fun at my expense, unless you can take the come-back. I happen to design much of the time, for rich people. People who look to me as a servant, rather than a colleague. I don't particularly like their attitude, but it is a pleasure to be in a position to design the very best that I can, and listen to the results. This is why I compare expensive things, (that I normally can't afford, myself) to less expensive things (that I can barely afford) and I tend to ignore junk (that appears to be a bargain, but it really isn't) that is usually called mid-fi.
When I mentioned the $20,000 price of the server, I can only say that at least it was not a COMPROMISED player, as many would use in their homes, including me. The price was fair for what it was, what it did, and the effort involved to design and built it.
Real people cannot work for free, I know this because I work too cheap, but I must be paid something. It simply could NOT 'make a silk purse out of a sow's ear,' a common expression for trying to do the difficult, if not impossible.

Haha the strange thing is I would actually put a very cheap active system up against most expensive hifi systems - see my little trick is I spend my money on more speakers to achieve surround sound. I get a much better sound in the end and the price tag is much smaller than chasing the whole hi fi stereo trip most audiophiles are on. It's really not an even comparison though.

Anyway that's cool I would think a lot of the cost in things like what you do are paying someone to do it for you and make everything intuitive. And I can get that.

I guess I see the rich crowds usually chasing euphonic distortions at ridiculous price tags. I think with just a little bit of knowledge as to what kind of sounding speakers to look for and some elementary knowledge of electronics you can easily come up with a system that rivals or possibly beats most hi fi setups with a much higher price tag.

Why not, PMA? You must have some understanding of what I am attempting to say. Why give me a 'hard time' at my expense? I was trying to talk about servos here, NOT CD sound quality. I could care less about CD sound quality. Still, I must respond to jibes and insults, and actually I enjoy it.

Status
Not open for further replies.